Tools for Relapse Prevention

This forum is for welcoming new members, introducing yourself, and posting things that would affect or encompass all areas of addiction. If you want to post about other things...such as sports, movies, your mean wife, lazy husband, evil kids, or how bad your dog smells... then post in the Fun Stuff/Off-Topic forum.

Tools for Relapse Prevention

Postby syd » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:51 am

Why is it most all of us relapse while trying to get clean? What is so hard about staying clean?

It's because few have the tools needed to recognize that a relapse starts in the mind before it actually manifest in the physical. Some one, some thing triggers us on a mental/ emotional level. It can be anything from a song on the radio to something more serious, like losing your job. We addicts celebrate by getting high, as much as we medicate, to deal with the bad stuff. Plain ole BOREDOM will take you down quicker than most life events, tho.

The list below, was taken from SMART Recovery's web site. I personally used SMART in my own recovery and I can tell you it does work. You have to be willing to do some self analysis and question which of your thoughts are rational and which are irrational. If you fix your head, you will cure your addiction.

1. What was the trigger that caused you to use?
2. How were you feeling just before you felt like drinking or drugging?
3. What were you telling yourself just before you started to drink or drug? (Look for additional, hidden thoughts.)
4. What did you do?
5. Which thoughts led to which addictive feelings and behaviors?
6. What was the chain of thoughts, feelings, and actions?
7. What could you have told yourself?
8. What could you have done?
9. What emotions could you have pushed yourself to feel?
10. How do you feel now about what happened?

SMART is not a higher power program. It's a program of Self Empowerment. You dont have to go to meetings. But you can, if you live in a city that has a local chapter.

Cant or dont wanna go to rehab?
You can get everything you need at SMART's website. Find more tools under the Resources tab, at the top of the home page. They even cover how to deal with anxiety :cheers:

http://www.smartrecovery.org/
syd

Re: Tools for Relapse Prevention

Postby FuckThis » Sun May 08, 2016 7:09 pm

I only just saw this, did some reading and it turns out they have a center right here in my city in the UK. I've never heard of them, I'll call them in the morning to find out if they can do anything for me. Thank you!
FuckThis

Postby cheeps » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:08 pm

Bumping this for Marilyn.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby Subblind » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:22 pm

Syd needs to come out to play more often...blunt facts with resources are quite beneficial...
Subblind

Postby CheeZeeAnnDee » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:48 pm

I agree Subblind, receiving blunt information is as empowering and helpful as can be. And most of the time, that bluntness needs to come from within ourselves, I think. May be scary, if it brings up something we are trying not to see, but necessary.
All you have is your fire
And the place you need to reach
Don't you ever tame your demons
But always keep them on a leash

Hozier-Arsonist's Lullabye

Telling subs to fuck off since March 20, 2017
CheeZeeAnnDee

Postby LastAttempt! » Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:05 am

Did some Smart Recovery meetings in Detox and really got something out of them unlike the NA AA stuff. Going to start going Smart Recovery meetings as soon as up to it :)
Got this biatch!!! Free of Dope and back on life since 16/01/17!! :D
LastAttempt!

Postby cheeps » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:53 am

I wish I lived somewhere close to a group...sometimes I want to go but it's over an hour to get there.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby LastAttempt! » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:38 am

I went to a group a few weeks ago back at the place i did my detox in Manchester, took me about 2 hours to drive there but i'm glad i went. Bought back a stack of memory's being in that place, a good little reminder of what i went through lol. Coming up to 6 months now but feels a lot longer than that.

Groups definitely helped me in the early stages and i still go to one a week now, it's not a smart group just a mutual support group, i don't feel i "need" to go anymore but i do enjoy them and i have made some good friends there, in fact a few of us are going out for a meal soon.

As for smart i can't get to any of them now i'm back at work but did a few in detox and after i got out in the period before i was up to work and they are very helpful and nothing like AA / NA but helpful tools etc.
Got this biatch!!! Free of Dope and back on life since 16/01/17!! :D
LastAttempt!

Postby cheeps » Tue Jul 04, 2017 7:44 pm

That is so good to hear!!! I'm very proud of you!
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
cheeps
Advanced Member

Return to General