Neurofeedback to heal the brain

"Staying Clean" a place to share how you stay clean or got clean

Neurofeedback to heal the brain

Postby cheeps » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:46 am

Since syd started her thread on brainwork, I'll post mine too.

I've been doing work with my therapist using neurofeedback to change those neural pathways she was talking about. For a website to explain this go here:

http://www.addictionrecoveryguide.org/h ... iofeedback
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper halted
cheeps
Advanced Member

Re: Neurofeedback to heal the brain

Postby cheeps » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:50 am

geeeezz....feels good to be out of the closet!

I'm also doing some EMDR therapy for PTSD....I have some issues surrounding my fathers death 5 years ago.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper halted
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby syd » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:30 am

Really, really good stuff, cheeps.

I was dx with ADHD. My therapist told me that ADHD was prevelant in addiction, but she never went any deeper. I found a link, in your post, to what looks to be a good read on the subject. Here are a couple of paragraphs from the book.
...Overload: Attention Deficit Disorder and the Addictive Brain

4. Stigma, Shame, and Self-Fulfilling Prophecy
The ongoing relentless bombardment of augmented stimuli by people with ADHD results in impulsive and defensive reactions. Judged by their behaviors, ADHD people are misunderstood, condemned, and sometimes rejected. Is it surprising then, that a person with ADHD is plagued by low self esteem? Very early in life they develop a deep inner shame, not a shame of what they do but a shame of what they believe they are - defective. Feeling socially unacceptable, they seek friendship with other socially unacceptable people, put themselves in socially unacceptable situations, and are drawn into socially unacceptable activities. Then meeting the criteria for conduct disorder, they are further stigmatized.

5. Self-Medication
A destructive , though effective, coping strategy used by many people with ADHD is the use of mood-altering substances or behaviors. If the brain chemicals that normally produce feelings of well-being are out of balance, a person will naturally seek ways to right that imbalance. Alcohol is a popular choice for attaining the desired effect. Other mood-altering substances and behaviors provide a similar payoff. Not only alcohol and other drugs but sometimes eating, excessive sexual activity, spending, or risk taking are used as self-medication to relieve the discomfort associated with ADHD.
syd

Postby Sam Bailey (#67) » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:59 am

cheeps wrote:Since syd started her thread on brainwork, I'll post mine too.

I've been doing work with my therapist using neurofeedback to change those neural pathways she was talking about. For a website to explain this go here:

http://www.addictionrecoveryguide.org/h ... iofeedback

how did you find someone to do this kind of work? do you see a difference?
Sam Bailey (#67)

Postby cheeps » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:57 pm

I was introduced to it thru my therapists office. In recent years they had hired a fellow that specilized in it and they use it on children with add, cancer patients, addiction issues....whomever they feel needs the work.

As to me feeling anything....because of the amount of damage drugs and detox do to a brain, they find it takes 3 times the normal amount of sessions to start any new pathways or healing. I'm on treatment 8 and expect to do at least 12-15 more. So far....I'm not showing any noticable changes.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper halted
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby cheeps » Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:58 pm

This is an old thread but I did find that the neurofeedback helped quite a bit. The EMDR was extremely effective also.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper halted
cheeps
Advanced Member

Return to Staying Clean