discontinue prozac, start paxil

Feel free to read about or create a new topic regarding antidepressants or detox. (*Note - Antidepressants are not opiates. Additionally, cessation from antidepressants without medical guidence can be dangerous.)

discontinue prozac, start paxil

Postby CaptainCompton » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:03 pm

I've maxed out the dosage of Prozac with no beneficial effects to GAD/PANIC. I've been on this merry go round for a while, and oddly, Paxil - despite the claims of gloom and black box warnings - seemed to work well at tiny doses.

doc said I should taper the Prozac over about a 10-day period- and he said it'd be hell with the taper. worse than hell CT.

I've been through all kinda withdrawal hell tho and if its hype I'd rather hear that too. no need to psych myself up.

in this context what "hell" should I expect? only bad experience was with Zoloft which took almost two years for brain zaps to go away. but they were pleasurable at times too. go figure.

my initial urge is to skip the taper and jump in to the paxil. any thoughts on this? thx!
CaptainCompton

Re: discontinue prozac, start paxil

Postby cheeps » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:07 pm

If you are aware of the side effects and are willing to accept them......do as you wish...he's at least being honest about what can happen.

If it was me I'd go from one to the other fairly quickly but I'm not saying for you to do this....everyone is different.

What dosages exactly were you thinking about going from on the zoloft and then to the paxil?
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby CaptainCompton » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:35 pm

the discontinuation is from 80mg Prozac (max dose). I had a very positive response from paxil previously, tho my MD's seem to shy from it for various reasons.

I paid for the Prozac taper quantities.. I suppose I should leave well enough alone and follow through. its just hard to put myself through this.

there are other meds in question causing some grief (oxycodone, lamictal, klonopin). I had started with plans for a clean break from all which ended abruptly at 3 days. brushing my teeth with shaving cream (made sense in the moment) inspired me to seek MD help.

I appreciate your counsel.
CaptainCompton

Postby cheeps » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:01 am

It is not wise to discontinue those meds all at once. You need to taper all drugs gradually. Just because you are sick of it....doesn't mean you should throw in the towel all at once.

Dr's counsel needed.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Return to Coming off Antidepressants Sux