A trick to help get off Effexor, Pristiq or Cymbalta

Feel free to read about or create a new topic regarding antidepressants or detox. (*Note - Antidepressants are not opiates. Additionally, cessation from antidepressants without medical guidence can be dangerous.)

A trick to help get off Effexor, Pristiq or Cymbalta

Postby Teejay » Tue Nov 13, 2012 3:41 am

Hey guys.

I've been on a few anti-depressants over the years. What was really nasty for me was that ... the only ones that worked were the ones hardest to get off. For me, those were Effexor, Pristiq and Cymbalta. All of them were pretty darn difficult.

Anyway I thought I'd share a lil trick I'd uncovered that I literally swear by. It hasn't failed me to this day, and has helped me get off these medications at various times in my life. I discovered the shortcut in the throws of Effexor "discontinuation syndrome" (read WITHDRAWAL). I was pretty much floored and puking my guts up every couple of hours. In the end I caved, but having flushed my anti-deps all I could find was one of my girlfriend's leftover Paxil tablets. I took it, and a couple of hours later I was feeling 95% better.

The crazy thing was ... next morning I wake up... no withdrawal. ZILCH. Maybe a lil bit of upset stomach but I was pretty much functional. And the withdrawal didn't come back. I've used that Paxil trick to good effect a few times since, and it hasn't failed me. The main thing I did every time was wait until I was in pretty significant withdrawal.

I did some research as well. Turns out Paxil itself is quite a potent anti-depressant with its own withdrawal profile. But it seems that it has a much longer half-life than the medications I was taking. It seems that Paxil has enough strength to ease the withdrawal symptoms of these 3 medications, but also a long enough half-life to "ease you down" if you get what I mean. The meds I was taking had half lives of a few hours, and Paxil is about 24 hours.

Using this logic, it might be worth experimenting using anti-depressant with longer half lives to get you off whatever anti-depressant one you're on. For those on Lexapro, Paxil, Celexa, Zoloft, Luvox ... you may get similar results using Prozac.

I can't guarantee that this will work with people on other medications, but I know it has worked for me on these three.

Good luck!
Teejay

Return to Coming off Antidepressants Sux