Nobody posting here...

This fourm is for people struggling to get off methadone. If you are a methadone advocate then please PISS OFF!

Re: Nobody posting here...

Postby cheeps » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:34 pm

Substrate wrote:.So YOUR the guy who's always in front of me at the light!!! ( beep beep)
What I wouldn't do for eight uninterrupted hours of sleep! The benadryl and melitonin have helped recently..I alternate them and get about six hours interrupted.

Jules....the meth added to my Sleep Apnea woes. I'd stop at the stop sign and wait for the light to turn green. :nono: :rofl:

Glad you are getting some sleep. When I 'rest' in detox or PAWS, I just remind myself to 'rest'....that any 'Rest' is better than nothing....sometime I listen to music with no words, slow mindless shit. It's like I have to turn my racing brain OFF by occupying it with just one thought...not 50K.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby Substrate » Wed Nov 09, 2011 4:50 pm

My heads pretty noisy too! I found some "trance" music the other day that was pretty cool...but I kept thinking of other things I should be doing..lol. Some days just CRAWL by way too slow...but today was busy and I walked my ass off, so hopefully I will sleep like the dead tonight!!!( I'm still going to take a benadryl,just in case..lol)
Substrate

Postby Plain Paige » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:15 am

WOW! This is a thread where I can truly relate to most everything written here. Thanks to everyone who posted. I'm slowly working my way thru the older threads and this site is such a wealth of information.

I wanted to respond to the 'jail' post only because my husband had an experience years ago, when he was 17. Oh crap, this is gonna have to be continued... lost track of time. Hubby needs computer.
"We are stardust, we are golden..." Joni Mitchell
Plain Paige

Postby Mrblazed » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:09 pm

Hey substrate I used to DJ EDM well still do if you need any good music PM me I can help you out! I love spreading good EDM!
Mrblazed

Postby PsychDocMD » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:04 am

Hey friends!

Do you all think the brain ever returns to baseline after long term methadone treatment?

Do you ever start to feel totally "normal" again?

PsychDocMD :boobshake:
PsychDocMD

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:34 am

Well, I don't believe for a second that your an actual doctor, but here's my opinion anyway-

People CAN feel "normal" again...

But that normal feeling can be a lot different for someone who has been on opiates long term.

Another thing to consider, is long term methadone use is often responsible for low testosterone levels even in younger men. Low testosterone can cause severe fatigue, and depression, just like post acute withdrawal syndrome.

But thankfully, testosterone replacement treatment is becoming more mainstream, and it works very well, at the right dosage- :mrgreen:
Not a 12 stepper

Highscores: 2

Postby Justjules13 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:50 pm

I have to agree with Stepper.,..sorry bub, not buying it!

Jezz..I just read this whole thread again...I'm so depressed.lol
I don't care about "normal". I just want to feel semi OK. I get SO depressed and anxious...it sucks!
Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Victor Kiam
Pills and IV Morphine- 1985-1999
Methadone maintenance- 1999-May 23,2011 (140mg, tapering to 10 mg)
Suboxone-slow taper to zero, very minimal WD (jump date 12/9/14)
Justjules13

Postby PsychDocMD » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:02 am

Not a 12 stepper wrote:Well, I don't believe for a second that your an actual doctor, but here's my opinion anyway-

People CAN feel "normal" again...

But that normal feeling can be a lot different for someone who has been on opiates long term.

Another thing to consider, is long term methadone use is often responsible for low testosterone levels even in younger men.

I wouldn't believe it either.

Do you have anymore information on low T levels caused solely from long term MMT? I've seen pamphlets in clinics that clearly state MMT has no effect on hormone levels....
PsychDocMD

Postby cheeps » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:30 am

I wouldn't believe it either.

Do you have anymore information on low T levels caused solely from long term MMT?
I've seen pamphlets in clinics that clearly state MMT has no effect on hormone levels

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And Just Who Had These tidy little Pamphlets Printed....? :? :?
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby Justjules13 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:08 am

Hummmmmm.....pamphlets in clinics are about keeping the kiddies away from the dope and not sharing with your fellow junkie....NOT about hormone levels!! (dont you know dumb junkies don't even know what a hormone is!...sarcastic smiley) You just outted yourself!
Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Victor Kiam
Pills and IV Morphine- 1985-1999
Methadone maintenance- 1999-May 23,2011 (140mg, tapering to 10 mg)
Suboxone-slow taper to zero, very minimal WD (jump date 12/9/14)
Justjules13

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:57 pm

Long term use of any opiate causes testosterone problems. But methadone is worse than the rest. Here's a study that RB paid for, that says sub isn't as bad as methadone.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18093096

CONCLUSION-

Men on MMT, but not BMT, have high prevalence of ED, related to hypogonadism and depression. Practitioners should screen for sexual dysfunction in men receiving opioid replacement treatment. Future studies of sexual dysfunction in opioid-treated men should examine the potential benefits of dose reduction, androgen replacement, treatment of depression, and choice of opioid.

You might want to google hypogonadism, and androgen replacement, if you happened to miss class the day they taught this in medical school- :mrgreen:
Not a 12 stepper

Postby cheeps » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:00 pm

Not a 12 stepper wrote:
CONCLUSION- Men on MMT, but not BMT, have high prevalence of ED, related to hypogonadism and depression. Practitioners should screen for sexual dysfunction in men receiving opioid replacement treatment. Future studies of sexual dysfunction in opioid-treated men should examine the potential benefits of dose reduction, androgen replacement, treatment of depression, and choice of opioid.

You might want to google hypogonadism, and androgen replacement, if you happened to miss class the day they taught this in medical school- :mrgreen:

8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) :rofl:
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby PsychDocMD » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:17 am

Justjules13 wrote:Hummmmmm.....pamphlets in clinics are about keeping the kiddies away from the dope and not sharing with your fellow junkie....NOT about hormone levels!! (dont you know dumb junkies don't even know what a hormone is!...sarcastic smiley) You just outted yourself!

The immaturity is starting to make me rethink my decision to post here.

As part of my residency I did a clerkship in a methadone clinic. There was an entire wall of pamphlets with Q&A on different aspects of MMT. There was one entitled "physical effects of MMT." I specifically remember it saying that methadone had no impact on hormone levels--it also cited studies at the bottom supporting this.

The psychiatrist in charge of the program specifically told us that he didn't believe methadone had any detrimental physical effects on the body--except for constipation.
PsychDocMD

Postby PsychDocMD » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:24 am

http://www.pdssc.com/faqs.htm

This is the FAQ section from an upscale methadone clinic in my area.

They claim methadone does not affect the body or any organ systems, and that your sexual functioning will typically get better after treatment with methadone.

I am not disputing anything that any of you are saying,however, I'm just pointing out that many mental health professionals(myself included) are taught that methadone is essentially harmless....
PsychDocMD

Postby PsychDocMD » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:38 am

http://www.capqualitycare.com/faq.html

Are there any serious adverse effects with methadone?
When taken properly as prescribed long-term methadone treatment causes no adverse effects to any of the body’s organ systems. Some side effects such as constipation, water retention, drowsiness, skin rash, excessive sweating, and alteration in sexual drive may occur in the early stages of treatment. These problems typically decrease or stop altogether as the body adjusts to the methadone dose or if necessary, simple medical interventions may be offered.
PsychDocMD

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:24 am

An "upscale" methadone clinic?

Sounds groovy-

Pretty cheap though at only $50 per week.

I was paying $13 a day at my last clinic.
Not a 12 stepper

Postby cheeps » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:17 am

When taken properly as prescribed long-term methadone treatment causes no adverse effects to any of the body’s organ systems. Some side effects such as constipation, water retention, drowsiness, skin rash, excessive sweating, and alteration in sexual drive may occur in the early stages of treatment. These problems typically decrease or stop altogether as the body adjusts to the methadone dose or if necessary, simple medical interventions may be offered.

Not true.

Pardon me if I'm EXTREMELY cynical Doc. I've explained most of the types of issues with my primary care physician. He has also bought into the lies of medical school/teaching staff.

It;s late or I'd give you an example of what he "thought" and had been "taught" to do for me. Maybe tomorrow.

You can throw all those videos up....yeah, that's what you have 'learned'. It's a shame that you don't seem to want to read here about people's EXPERIENCES and talk about THAT. :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :gaah:

Oh wait....we aren't a part of any clinical study.....fuck. :roll:

So doc...the moral of the story is.....don't go into Mordor if you don't want to know about Sauron. :shrug:
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby cheeps » Thu Jan 31, 2013 3:22 am

Oh BTW....this is why we are here.....read this thread DOC. :MrT: :MrT: :MrT: It happens all the time.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1989&p=48773#p48773
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby PsychDocMD » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:26 am

Not a 12 stepper wrote:An "upscale" methadone clinic?

Sounds groovy-

Pretty cheap though at only $50 per week.

I was paying $13 a day at my last clinic.

"Upscale" was their adjective-not mine! hehe :lol:
PsychDocMD

Postby PsychDocMD » Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:36 am

cheeps wrote:

Not true.

Pardon me if I'm EXTREMELY cynical Doc. I've explained most of the types of issues with my primary care physician. He has also bought into the lies of medical school/teaching staff.

It;s late or I'd give you an example of what he "thought" and had been "taught" to do for me. Maybe tomorrow.

You can throw all those videos up....yeah, that's what you have 'learned'. It's a shame that you don't seem to want to read here about people's EXPERIENCES and talk about THAT. :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :gaah:

Oh wait....we aren't a part of any clinical study.....fuck. :roll:

So doc...the moral of the story is.....don't go into Mordor if you don't want to know about Sauron. :shrug:

If I were in your position I would find a new physician. Often times older physicians are so cemented in their ways that they aren't open to new ideas or suggestions.

My grades were not good enough to get into an MD program. I am a DO-we value listening to our patients and establishing a relationship based on mutual trust above ALL else.

I am a B student who got into a very low ranked medical school by the skin of my teeth! I am young, and I certainly have a lot to learn. Almost any bright,disciplined person would be able to get into an osteopathic medical school. The only difference between you and I is likely a few years of college.

I would love to hear specifics on some of the issues that you have had with your GP. Please respond as soon as you're able to!

PD :boobshake:
PsychDocMD

PreviousNext

Return to Methadone Sux