Nobody posting here...

This fourm is for people struggling to get off methadone. If you are a methadone advocate then please PISS OFF!

Nobody posting here...

Postby Sub zero » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:57 am

...which is a good thing since methadone is the worst opioid withdrawal known to mankind :sick:
Methadone free since 8/15/2010...Sub free since 9/28/10...Alcohol free since 10/4/16
Sub zero

Re: Nobody posting here...

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:24 am

Sub zero wrote:...which is a good thing since methadone is the worst opioid withdrawal known to mankind :sick:

I gotta agree... That jail detox from 120mg was beyond a doubt, the worst experience of MY life-
Not a 12 stepper

Highscores: 2

Postby Sub zero » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:54 am

Not a 12 stepper wrote:
Sub zero wrote:...which is a good thing since methadone is the worst opioid withdrawal known to mankind :sick:

I gotta agree... That jail detox from 120mg was beyond a doubt, the worst experience of MY life-

Well...I tried a 60mg CT detox in the comfort of my own home and after only 5 days ended up running with open arms to my leftover botle of Sub...so I can easily imagine how horrible a 120mg jail detox must have been. I'm guessing that the jail staff weren't very sympathetic either. That's just plain wrong to let someone suffer like that.
Methadone free since 8/15/2010...Sub free since 9/28/10...Alcohol free since 10/4/16
Sub zero

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:50 am

I was in a hick county jail, in the midwest.
The jailers were laughing for the first couple of days after I started getting sick. Then when I ended up on the floor heaving, and puking green foamy bile, I couldn't even crawl my sorry ass to the toilet. They had to put me in their little padded cell, which was right next to their processing area, and it wasn't so funny to them anymore.

They were pissed off with all my loud nasty moaning and groaning, heaving, and yaking. When they'd yell at me, I'd yell back for them to fucking kill me. And I meant it.

That was back in 2002, right after a couple of people died in jail, detoxing from methadone.

They did have their nurse giving me methadone, to begin with. But I guess they planned to taper me off 120mg. in a week. About the 3rd day I started getting sick, then it didn't matter anyway, since I couldn't even stand up to get the pills.

I think they took me to the hospital twice for IV fluids... And they eventually let me out early.

I remember when they led me to their little room to get dressed, and I got a hold of my pills. I chewed up a hand full, and some went where the sun don't shine... I laid on the floor for about 2 hours. Then suddenly, I was ready to get dressed... lol

The cops were amazed when I walked outta that room smiling-
Not a 12 stepper

Postby xenofears » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:44 am

I honestly can't imagine it was that much worse than trying to c/t over a bundle a day of NYC Heroin. By the time 16 hours had passed, if another 8 had gone by, they would have been picking pieces of my skull out of car radiator, if I could have stumbled out into the street successfully that is. I kicked hydros a few times back in the day and that was a total walk in the park by comparison.
Sub free 3 years. Klonopin free 1 year. 100% drug free. Feeling somewhat ok. :thumbup:
xenofears

Postby Sub zero » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:57 am

Methadone is the only drug that ever scared me. Over my decade of using opiates, I got the WD's several times because I used up my supply too early, or didn't have the money...I did this with percs, MS-contins...Hell, even poppy tea. I was man enough to handle it and could always tell my family I had the flu. Then methadone became available to me in large amounts at reasonable prices. I unknowingly assumed that methadone was just like all the others so I began using that because $ per $ and mg per mg I got the most mileage out of it and my supply never seemed to run out. Man did I panic when the WD's just kept accelerating...it was as if someone shoved an extension cord up my butt and plugged the other end into the electrical outlet. I can easily imagine a person putting a gun to their own head to end the agony.
Sub zero

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:42 pm

I too used to ct a variety of opiates quite often. Vicodin, percs, oxy, fentanyl, and of course heroin. Not "New York City" heroin though. Just the mexican tar, since it was stronger than the brown powder I could get at the time.

Vicodin was a cake walk, percs sucked, oxy was hell, and fentanyl was straight up strange...
I included heroin on the list, but for the record I was never a heroin addict, just a chipper. I never stayed on it longer than 3 days at a time.
None of it came close to the hell I felt from the methadone- Besides the sickness, the fucking pain is unbearable. And vertigo so bad I couldn't even lift my head off the floor.
Not a 12 stepper

Postby cheeps » Sun Oct 02, 2011 2:44 pm

If i had to detox off it again.....I'd go straight to the damn funny farm....and I'd seriously ask them to keep me for a year. It took me 14 months to feel ANY sembelance of normal and that was with a very kind but painful detox at Summer House....the nightmare began on the plane ride home. :shred: :punchballs: :thumbdown:

The cruelty of the prison is outragous....let a guard go thru that hell, tape it and train them......oh yeah....not in a mil. :evil:
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby syd » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:47 pm

Kind of ironic, that a post would appear in the methadone forum, at this time. Been thinking a lot about methadone lately. Oct 1, was my 5th yr anniv. of being off that shit.

I think, the reason we dont see anyone posting, is because, methadone winds up being a life sentence. Clinics, dont encourage, for the obvious reasons. I went to the clinic 8 yrs and not Once did, someone that had gotten off, stop by. I was invited, to speak to the group, a year or so after getting off. But, the counselor, tried to discourage me from empowering the group. And so much money to be made from sub, even the dr at my old clinic, got his sub license.

I'm thankful, that I was never forced to detox or cut off. A slow taper & jump, from 3mg, wasnt too bad...no where near as intense as my CT's from heroin, for sure. The depersonalization stays with you for SO fucking long. Just like discontinuing sub, you wonder if you will ever feel good again.
syd

Postby SoCal » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:49 am

Not a 12 stepper wrote:I was in a hick county jail, in the midwest.
The jailers were laughing for the first couple of days after I started getting sick. Then when I ended up on the floor heaving, and puking green foamy bile, I couldn't even crawl my sorry ass to the toilet. They had to put me in their little padded cell, which was right next to their processing area, and it wasn't so funny to them anymore.

They were pissed off with all my loud nasty moaning and groaning, heaving, and yaking. When they'd yell at me, I'd yell back for them to fucking kill me. And I meant it.

That was back in 2002, right after a couple of people died in jail, detoxing from methadone.

They did have their nurse giving me methadone, to begin with. But I guess they planned to taper me off 120mg. in a week. About the 3rd day I started getting sick, then it didn't matter anyway, since I couldn't even stand up to get the pills.

I think they took me to the hospital twice for IV fluids... And they eventually let me out early.

I remember when they led me to their little room to get dressed, and I got a hold of my pills. I chewed up a hand full, and some went where the sun don't shine... I laid on the floor for about 2 hours. Then suddenly, I was ready to get dressed... lol

The cops were amazed when I walked outta that room smiling-

Yea,,my wife had a similar experience,,but instead mid west it was down south and people are even worse and she had to go to prison like that,,she told me of the on the floor pukin and shittin on self and all that so i have an idea of what you went through,,fuckin crazy!!!
TT
SoCal

Postby Poncho » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:49 pm

Thats for sure !
Poncho

Postby Substrate » Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:53 am

I know this is a old post..but I just wanted to chime in about my experience with Meth..I was on it almost 12 yrs. I took a couple yrs to get from 140 down to 10mg. The lowest I got was 6 or 7mg. I had CRUSHING headaches 24/7. My dr.insisted it was almost impossible to detox off Meth and persaded me to go to sub..I started at 14 and dropped to 8 in the first few days..it was easy for me to get to 2 Mg..and now 1 Mg. I feel I wasted a lot of time on Meth..I don't plan on doing the same on sub...( been on it five months already) All opiate replacement therapies are just putting off the inevitable..we played,now we have to pay! I used to always wonder what would happen if I was hit by a buss or something and couldn't talk..and went into withdrawals in the hospital..
Letting a person withdrawal in jail is totally inhumane..that's just not what a civilized country should do! We all know dope addicts will lie about their tolerance to get a bigger dose..but a flat dose at say 30 Mg should keep most out of full blown detox. It's not to their advantage to have inmates stinking up the place..I don't understand why they do it. I'd like to work as a advocate for people on any replacement therapy..it certainly needs some help!!
Jules
Substrate

Postby Sub zero » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:20 am

Hey Substrate...didn't you find it hard switching from methadone to Sub? I jumped off at 60 mgs of methadone and after five days of cold turkey Hell, I broke down and took 16mgs of Sub...thinking it would cure the methadone WD's. I was wrong, I felt worse than ever for the next 24 hours...I guess I really needed 24 or 32 mgs of Sub. It was a weird few days during the transition...I had an "otherworldly" feeling the whole time and it's not a place I'd like to go again. Still, in hindsight I'd recommend that anyone facing the methadone WD's go on Sub short term...it's the lesser of two evils for sure!
Sub zero

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:34 am

My 8 years on methadone was miserable. It did a good job of killing my pain, but I'm one of the small percentage of folks that developed a very high tolerance.

I'm not in the mood to write a book about it, but to make a long story very short, I was always looking for a doctor willing to give me the increased dosage I needed to keep me out of withdrawal. I relocated several times, and went to pain doctors, methadone clinics, and VA hospitals in every locale. Finally ended up on 280mg per day, and found out I had a kid on the way.

It took me 9 months to taper off.

Going lower than 10mg was really slow. I took xanax very cautiously for a while during the roughest part of the taper, and again for a couple of weeks after I jumped. I managed to get down to 5mg before I gave up on the taper, and jumped off.

I too planned on switching to sub, but after reading about people suffering for several months after tapering off sub, I decided to keep tapering the methadone.

After going through that hellish jail withdrawal, I was expecting the worst, but it never happened. Increased pain was my main problem, but since I suffer from chronic pain after a major accident, I knew I was gonna have to deal with that either way.

I never felt what I'd call "acute" withdrawal. The emotional roller coaster, insomnia, rls/cramps, nausea, and long term diarrhea weren't fun... But all in all, it's totally doable in my personal opinion.

Been off all opiates, benzo's, happy pills and muscle relaxants for 3 years and counting- :mrgreen:
Not a 12 stepper

Postby Sub zero » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:15 pm

I had the opposite experience with methadone. I loved the stuff and my tolerance level...once I discovered it through trial and error...remained constant. I was a low dose person...I did 90-100 mg for a couple months until I realized I couldn't stop nodding off all the time. I got to 60-70mg and that was the magic number. I stayed at that dose for a few years. What I liked best about methadone was the take it in the morning and forget about it till the next day vibe. It didn't have the ups and downs of all the other oids. And unlike Sub...methadone was a more euphoric, happy high. Sometimes I feel that if I won the Powerball and was also guaranteed a lifetime supply...I'd probably go back on the stuff :o
Sub zero

Postby Substrate » Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:00 pm

Hi Sub Zero,
I think "they" advise to be at or below 30 Mg methadone when you switch over..I tried to taper off Meth and was at 10mg Meth when I switched. I liked the way methadone made me feel too...and if I could have it hassle free I might remain on it forever too. I feel different about sub. It does nothing for me. I was waiting for this great wonderful new feeling after 12 yrs on Meth...but it just feels dull. I could bump my dose of Meth up and get a nice boost of energy and confidence..but with sub,nothing. The first few days on sub I felt..detached..depersonalized. I couldn't sleep,I had a constant headache and was tired..lowering my dose made the headaches go away..but sub has always made me feel tired.I know I couldn't get below 6-7 Mg of Meth...and maybe I should have jumped at that..but I felt SO bad for months and my Dr.really believes that the kick from sub is much easier. She has no reason to lie to me..I get treatment free and she's not getting anything out of keeping me in a program. I believe SHE believes it is a easier drug to kick. I certainly don't feel as bad on 1 Mg sub as I did on 10 Mg Meth...but maybe it will get worse around .25-.10.
I have pain issues too Stepper..and sub really doesn't help my back pain as well as Meth did..I felt like my life was satisfactory on Meth..But I just got tired of being tied to it. Same with sub.
oMG...you where on 280??? I sweated like a pig on 140mg..not a attractive look for a woman..lol. I stabilized at around 80 most of the time I was on it.
Substrate

Postby cheeps » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:51 pm

Jules...I sweat like a pig on 40-50....I never got up high in dose but was on it for 10 years....tapered to ten and went IP. I liked meth too....except the SLAVE part. When I got my neck and back surgery, I made the commitment to get off ASAP. FUCK that stuff......glad, so glad I'm off.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby Substrate » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:02 am

Hi Cheeps, does IP mean "in patient" ? Both sub and Meth make me feel like a slave to the drug. I was just writing a friend who corrected me for saying"addicted" instead of "dependent".. It's all semantics...your chained to a drug that when you stop,not only brings back the original problem(pain) but a host of other shit on top of that too. I hate seeing anyone start taking opiates. It's too easy to wind up addicted...or "dependent" lol. I would bet 90% of the people here have some pain issues. I saw you had horses..me too. Lovely what bouncing up and down on your spine for yrs will do for your back..lol (but I read yours was a wreck? I've been lucky not to be hurt too bad on my wrecks)
I used to get so imbarrased by the sweating on Meth..I sweat a bit on Sub..at night mostly..but I'm also 54 and female...so it could be "the change"... My body is really putting up a fight aginst the sub taper..it's maddening! I understand why people go for that instant withdrawal stuff..where they knock your ass out and give you narcan. Just get it over!! Lol I've heard it rarely works.
Man,did you feel as terrible as I did at 10 Mg methadone? I had a constant crushing headache...not fun for months!!
Thanks..I'm feeling more at home here:)
Yes..sub certainly doesn't give me the warm feeling Meth did. But if you asked me when I was on Meth if it made me high or I "felt it" I would have denied it. I remember reading posts about how great sub made you feel..not me! I tried to up my dose to get the same "boost" I got from Meth..and it just made me feel bad.
Substrate

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:49 pm

Oh yeah-

I used to love, love, LOVE being on methaodne... I mean, I could sleep on a dime- Give me a chair, and 60 seconds, and I could fall asleep. Of course I'd wake up literally SOAKED in sweat... But hey- I didn't care how long they made me wait at the dmv :arrow:

Even waiting for stop lights was no problemo... I'd just nod off with my foot on the brake, till someone beeped when the light turned green.

Fun times-
Not a 12 stepper

Postby Substrate » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:23 pm

Thanks Stepper..you gave me a chuckle..So YOUR the guy who's always in front of me at the light!!! ( beep beep)
It's weird..opiates have always wired me,worked like a antidepressant and anti anxiety drug I guess. If I had a stressful event to go to,I would do a extra 20 Mg...and be more social and talkative. Even when I was doing massive amounts of morphine...I was peppy!!! I think I have some weird brain chemistry..maybe ADD.lol
But I did sleep great then too...awe..those where the days. What I wouldn't do for eight uninterrupted hours of sleep! The benadryl and melitonin have helped recently..I alternate them and get about six hours interrupted.
Substrate

Next

Return to Methadone Sux