Methadone detox plan

This fourm is for people struggling to get off methadone. If you are a methadone advocate then please PISS OFF!

Methadone detox plan

Postby wantoutnow » Thu May 05, 2011 12:14 pm

Ive decided to taper off methadone. Im not on a very high dose.[Methadone HCL MFR:Roxane Labs 20mg a day.]
I have battled opiate addiction for years. I have been through withdrawls many times before to the point of being pretty scared of them in all honesty.

I just want a way to get off of these things safely and still be able to work. I have a very phsically demanding job and work long hours. Going through withdrawls while trying to work is pure hell. I have to be on point mentally as my job can be dangerous at times.

Any advice will be gladly recieved.
wantoutnow

Re: Methadone detox plan

Postby xenofears » Thu May 05, 2011 12:32 pm

I'm sure our resident methadone detox expert will be with you soon (well, perhaps a day or two).. might want to read the few other threads in this forum.

Welcome and congrats deciding to get off methadone. You don't seem to have too far to go, but 20mg's seems to be where the real fun begins..
Sub free 3 years. Klonopin free 1 year. 100% drug free. Feeling somewhat ok. :thumbup:
xenofears

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Fri May 06, 2011 6:10 am

Hi, wantoutnow-

Get yourself a digital scale, and weigh one of your pills, then divide by 10 to get a weight per milligram.

Then figure out how much 9mg weighs, and dose with that every 12 hours for 2 weeks.

Use a pill crusher to powder your methadone pills before you weigh out your dose.
Not a 12 stepper

Highscores: 2

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Fri May 06, 2011 6:29 am

The scale needs to be fairly accurate, especially when your getting down below 10mg daily dose.

This one worked good for me-

http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Ge ... B0012TDNAM
Not a 12 stepper

Postby wantoutnow » Fri May 06, 2011 7:22 am

Thank you sir. I will buy one. Great idea. Any ideas as far as how long to wait between drops in dosage?
wantoutnow

Postby celticpride4Life » Fri May 06, 2011 7:36 am

Wanted to say welcome :D You will get allot of support here, 12 step is your man for a detox plan. How old are you and what is the length of your opiate and methadone use? I feel you on working while in WD's, been there too many times to count. You can do this with determination and support.

~CelticPride
celticpride4Life

Postby xenofears » Fri May 06, 2011 8:20 am

hey mark I think he's on 20mg of methadone

EDIT: Ah nevermind, slow this morning, it's 9mg every 12 hours..
Sub free 3 years. Klonopin free 1 year. 100% drug free. Feeling somewhat ok. :thumbup:
xenofears

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Fri May 06, 2011 8:46 am

You won't feel the full effect of any drop in dosage for 7 days.

so...

It's best to wait at least 7 days between drops. 2 weeks or more, if your feeling increased withdrawal.

If your on 20mg per day, drop down to 18mg per day, 9mg every 12 hours.

The basic idea is, to drop 10% every 2 weeks.
Not a 12 stepper

Postby wantoutnow » Sat May 07, 2011 12:26 pm

Sweet. Thank you guys very much.

I about a month ago got off sub after 2 and a half years. I went from that back to methadone that I originally got hooked on do to working 60 hours a week in a demanding job and just not being able to continue with the withdrawls and work.

So I have not been back on methadone very long.{One month}. I dont know if that changes anything.

I am 32 years of age and all together between sub and meth been on this shit for 6 years total approx. Although I have used opiates off and on sence I was a teenager. Just not concsistently enough to get full blown addicted like I have been for the past 6 years.

God bless you all.
wantoutnow

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Sat May 07, 2011 7:45 pm

Is there any way you can take some time off work?

I can help you detox from methadone without suffering acute withdrawal. But even with the best taper plan, at MINIMUM, your still gonna feel really tired/weak and won't have good sleep for several weeks.
Not a 12 stepper

Postby wantoutnow » Sun May 08, 2011 12:23 pm

Not a 12 stepper wrote:Is there any way you can take some time off work?

I can help you detox from methadone without suffering acute withdrawal. But even with the best taper plan, at MINIMUM, your still gonna feel really tired/weak and won't have good sleep for several weeks.

I might be able to get two weeks off. Lets say I can. What would you suggest I do assuming I can get the 2 weeks off?

Thank you so much. You have no idea{or maybe you do} how good it is to talk to people that know what Im going through and have the knowledge to get off. So much better from the bull shit doctors give.
wantoutnow

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Sun May 08, 2011 8:35 pm

You should taper down as low as you can before you jump. But, there's a time where suffering during the taper is bad enough to go ahead and jump off.

I wouldn't recommend trying to jump, until you get down to at least 5mg and are stable at that dose.

I hit a "wall" at 10mg, but when the withdrawals got more miserable, I went back up slightly in dose, and tried lowering by a smaller amount, and waiting longer between reductions, which worked good.

I hit another wall at 7mg. I kept getting the restless legs, and anxiety attacks every time I tried to go lower. After a few failed attempts, I went to my doctor, and explained my situation. I got some peach xanax, and took them very cautiously, since I'd already been hooked on klonapin and didn't want to go through another benzo detox.

The xanax did help me continue my taper, and after a couple of weeks of taking xanax very sparingly, I was able to stop taking it, and felt good enough to drop my dose again.

By the time I got down to 5mg, I had the lead suit tiredness getting the best of me, and decided to go ahead and jump off.

After you stop taking methadone, it takes a week for the full withdrawals to hit. The first 5 days after I jumped, I was laughing, thinking I was gonna totally skate right off. But day 6 I started to feel withdrawal creeping in, and then for the next 2 weeks I suffered the worst of it. I'd try to plan my vacation accordingly, but to be honest, the miserable symptoms lasted about 6 weeks for me. The last couple of weeks were good days, and bad days mixed together. I had terrible diarrhea, that made me weak, and was the longest lasting of my semi-serious withdrawal symptoms. Some people have great success with using imodium to help control diarrhea during opiate withdrawal, so you might give that a try.

I didn't get any acute withdrawals... I did get waves of nausea, and had increased pain problems with my back and neck, couldn't sleep, had anxiety and restless legs among other symptoms. I took the rest of my xanax, and it did help. There are other comfort meds that people like to take. Clonidine is popular, and so is Cannabis Indica, if your inclined to go that route.

Take your time, and taper slowly. Start stocking up on comfort meds that you plan to try.

When you get down to 5mg or below, (some people taper all the way to 1mg per day) try to plan your jump around your vacation. Jump a week before your vacation starts.
Not a 12 stepper

Postby wantoutnow » Mon May 09, 2011 1:37 am

Thanks so much. I feel like I might just be able to do this.
wantoutnow

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Mon May 09, 2011 3:11 am

Right on man-

I'll be cheering you on.

But, I'm getting ready to do some traveling, so my replies might be a lot shorter. I hate trying to type on my phone, and that's gonna be my only way of surfing the net for a while.
Not a 12 stepper

Postby schnapsten » Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:19 am

Arrange for someone to stay with you during the first few days of detox. The first few days are, by far, the hardest for most detox patients. Try to set up friends and family to be with you at all times for the first few days of your detox to give you the kind of support you would have if you were in a clinical methadone detox program.
Remember to be patient and detox slowly. The symptoms of full opioid withdrawal are intense and horrible. It's best to avoid them as much as possible by detoxing slowly and allowing your body to adjust at a slow pace.
Be sure to consult a medical doctor regarding your plans to detox and follow their recommendations explicitly. No one but your doctor can craft a completely customized detox plan that is tailor-made to suit your specific needs and health requirements.
schnapsten

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:06 am

schnapsten wrote:Arrange for someone to stay with you during the first few days of detox. The first few days are, by far, the hardest for most detox patients. Try to set up friends and family to be with you at all times for the first few days of your detox to give you the kind of support you would have if you were in a clinical methadone detox program.
Remember to be patient and detox slowly. The symptoms of full opioid withdrawal are intense and horrible. It's best to avoid them as much as possible by detoxing slowly and allowing your body to adjust at a slow pace.
Be sure to consult a medical doctor regarding your plans to detox and follow their recommendations explicitly. No one but your doctor can craft a completely customized detox plan that is tailor-made to suit your specific needs and health requirements.

Why do I get the feeling you have never detoxed methadone?

The first glaring clue, is for the first few days after jumping, you will have little, or no withdrawal symptoms if you have tapered your dose slowly, and are stable before you stop taking methadone. The half life is so long it takes a few days to get out of your system.

And just for the record, most doctors have no clue how to help someone taper off methadone-
Not a 12 stepper

Postby dmbas » Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:57 am

wut they meant was, get with someone the first couple days to fuck, because your gonna feel like shit for a while and should get a couple good memorys in.lol. and the docter thing, they meant see a doctor/shrink, because youll probley go nuts, and think this patient knows what there talkn about.lol.
dmbas

Postby Sub zero » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:57 am

Not a 12 stepper wrote:
schnapsten wrote:Arrange for someone to stay with you during the first few days of detox. The first few days are, by far, the hardest for most detox patients. Try to set up friends and family to be with you at all times for the first few days of your detox to give you the kind of support you would have if you were in a clinical methadone detox program.

Why do I get the feeling you have never detoxed methadone?

The first glaring clue, is for the first few days after jumping, you will have little, or no withdrawal symptoms if you have tapered your dose slowly, and are stable before you stop taking methadone. The half life is so long it takes a few days to get out of your system.

And just for the record, most doctors have no clue how to help someone taper off methadone-

Not-a-12-stepper is right...and he's giving you the candy-coated description of methadone withdrawal. Truth is...if you've been on any dose of methadone for a long time...once you get to around 72 hours from your last dose....you're in a world of shit. The only cure for the methadone WD's is to start taking methadone again...otherwise, get ready for HELL :wired: :wired: :wired:
Methadone free since 8/15/2010...Sub free since 9/28/10...Alcohol free since 10/4/16
Sub zero

Postby cheeps » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:17 pm

Not-a-12-stepper is right...and he's giving you the candy-coated description of methadone withdrawal. Truth is...if you've been on any dose of methadone for a long time...once you get to around 72 hours from your last dose....you're in a world of shit. The only cure for the methadone WD's is to start taking methadone again...otherwise, get ready for HELL :wired: :wired: :wired:

Thorazine and handfuls of muscle relaxers....that is the only way to get through that godawful motherfucking grass sucking, shit. :punchballs: :punchballs:
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby mcompare » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:09 pm

what kind of muscle relaxers. I am going to start stocking up on meds to help me. Any suggestions?
mcompare

Next

Return to Methadone Sux