Help coming off methadone

This fourm is for people struggling to get off methadone. If you are a methadone advocate then please PISS OFF!

Help coming off methadone

Postby Bigeazy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:29 pm

I have been in and out methadone treatment for the last ten years. I have always quit for one reason or another without coming off it and went back to using. This time I have been doing good and turned my life over to God and I finally have the strength to come out treatment. I was on 105 mg and started coming down ten mg a week until I started having withdrawals. I am on 55 mg now and heard many of ways to come off methadone but I want to do it right so I don't relaspe I am in a lot of pain from car wreaks and that scares me but I no with God on my side I can do it . What mg you recommend coming down per week ?
Bigeazy

Re: Help coming off methadone

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:23 pm

Hey there bigeazy-

Try cutting 5mg every 2 weeks for a while...
Not a 12 stepper

Highscores: 2

Postby Bigeazy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:04 pm

Yeah ten mg a week was a little to much but I am so ready to be drug free. My pain issue is what scares me but I made it 7 month once with nothing so I no with Gods help I can do it. But I'm going put in tomorrow for my dose to start coming down 5 a month I don't no if I can do 5 mg every two weeks. Do you think it would be good to,switch to subs when I get down to low dose or just quit? I rather just quit but scared to relapse. Which I'm sure everyone is.
Bigeazy

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:50 pm

Detoxing methadone is a case of slow and easy wins the race-

Don't torture yourself during the taper.

You'll get your share after you jump...
Not a 12 stepper

Postby Bigeazy » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:41 pm

Yeah I no the withdrawls of coming off methadone all to well I quit cold turkey at 200 mg once and it take large amount of oxy to just ease the pain. I have had people tell to,go down to 35 mg and miss a dose and get on sub for a couple month I never tried subs so I don't no .
Bigeazy

Postby cheeps » Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:13 am

Research well on the amount of time it takes to switch to sub from meth or you'll end up regretting the HELL out of it.

What is Precipitated withdrawal?

Precipitated withdrawal can occur when an antagonist (or partial antagonist, such as buprenorphine) is administered to a patient dependent on full agonist opioids. Due to Buprenorphine’s high affinity but low intrinsic activity at the mu receptor, the partial antagonist displaces agonist opioids from the mu receptors, without activating the receptor to an equivalent degree, resulting in a net decrease in agonist effect, thus precipitating a withdrawal syndrome.

In plain english....

1. Taking Suboxone Too Soon for the First Time
Buprenorphine (the active ingredient in Suboxone) has higher affinity for the opiate receptors in the brain than opiates of abuse (like heroin or OxyContin, for example).

What this means is – if you are on an opiate drug and you take Suboxone, the buprenorphine in Suboxone will flood the brain, kick out the opiates from the opiate receptors and then fill and block these opiate receptors.

Buprenorphine only partially activates the opiate receptor, unlike regular opiates which fully activate this receptor, so when these receptors are suddenly filled with buprenorphine instead of the opiate they were filled with only moments before – the net result is a sudden and dramatic loss of activation of these opiate receptors. And it is when these opiate receptors do not get sufficiently activated that we experience opiate withdrawal symptoms.

It is for this reason that you must wait until you are experiencing opiate withdrawal symptoms before you can take your first dose of Suboxone. Once you are experiencing opiate withdrawal symptoms, many of your opiate receptors in the brain are already insufficiently activated, and taking Suboxone serves to increase this activation, thus reducing the discomfort you feel.

Since Methadone is a Long Acting Opiate (LAO), with a long half life (36-72 hours), one MUST wait longer than the regular Short Acting Opiate (SAO) time period (8-24 hours) before inducing sub.

That all being said....if you feel you must do this.....taper that methadone down as low as you can stand, come back or find someone who knows their shit and get an idea of the sub dose you should move too. Don't ask a fucking doctor as 98% of them, even in detox centers, will have no clue and get you jacked BACK up on some shitty dose you don't want to be on. :gaah: :gaah: :gaah:
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Sat Feb 28, 2015 8:31 pm

Bigeazy wrote:Yeah I no the withdrawls of coming off methadone all to well I quit cold turkey at 200 mg once and it take large amount of oxy to just ease the pain. I have had people tell to,go down to 35 mg and miss a dose and get on sub for a couple month I never tried subs so I don't no .

I found subsux 6 years ago, when I was tapering off methadone. My plan was to switch over to sub, but decided just to taper off the methadone after learning more about sub. Seems that sub detox has an extended emotional recovery time, even exceeding that of methadone.

If you do choose to add sub into the mix, I wouldn't ever let myself get comfortable on it.

It's going to suck either way you go...

But most definitely worth it in the long run :thumbup:
Not a 12 stepper

Return to Methadone Sux