This fourm is for people struggling to get off methadone. If you are a methadone advocate then please PISS OFF!

Postby Zoned » Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:03 am

Hi this is my first post. I have A genetic Kidney disease which causes severe chronic pain. Started on pain mgt 2+
Years ago.Now On 80 mg I'm over 60 how do I get off. Thanks
Zoned

Re: Newbie

Postby PrettyInPain » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:30 am

Hi there! Welcome to SubSux!

I cannot speak on behalf of how a pain management doctor would get you off methadone. I imagine that, if you're having bad side effects, they might discuss other options for your pain. But again, I don't know because I got my methadone from a clinic. Anyway, back to your question. You won't want to just stop taking your methadone at 80mg. You'd be very, very sick. To make it more bearable, most people will taper their methadone slowly. For reference, my highest dose was 100mg. I tapered my dose VERY slowly. I went down 3mg every 2 weeks until I hit about 60 or 50mg, then it was down 2mg every 2 weeks at 30mg, and then 1mg every 3 weeks. So it was a very long process. But in the end, I tapered all the way to 1mg and just chose a day to "jump" (completely stop taking the drug). But most people will say that tapering under 5mg isn't necessary. There are others that stopped taking it at much higher doses. Your results may vary because we all handle withdrawal differently. It's really an individual process that will take time. You might feel bad at a certain dose and have to stay on that dose a little longer than expected. And that's ok. I had to do that a few times. Getting off methadone is very hard and it sucks. But it sucks even more to be on methadone, so it's 100% worth it in my opinion. Have you discussed any of this with your pain management doctor? Please let me know if you have any more specific questions. I just got off methadone in December 2014, and there are both users and moderators here that have beaten this methadone beast. You're in good hands!
I finally jumped!!! First day methadone-free: 12/16/14
Winter's gonna end, I'm gonna clean these veins again, so close to dying that I finally can start living.
For a star to be born, there is one thing that must happen: a gaseous nebula must collapse. 

So collapse. 
Crumble.
 This is not your destruction. 

This is your birth.
PrettyInPain

Postby cheeps » Sun Feb 01, 2015 3:53 pm

Hi....welcome to subsux. there are at least four or five of us that beat the methadone curse. PIP summed it up very well. She is the latest success story.....we are so proud of her.
8-)
give us some details and maybe you can get started here.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby Zoned » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:51 pm

Thanks for the responses.i have been on pain mgt started on oxycodone and due to tolerance moved up to 240 ER per day. Then switched to Meth 80. I have become depressed and anxious.I know it's possible to get offbut with my medical problems I don't know if I'll survive.what details would be helpfull.
Zoned

Postby cheeps » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:03 pm

What was the rational for the change.....just too much OXY? When did you first notice the depression and anxiety? Methadone has a tendency to be an upper type of opiate. I noticed this in myself and in my father when he was in pain management. It caused him to be more aware of his surroundings at a time he didn't need to be.....and for myself, on methadone, I was less sedated too.

What causes you the anxiety? Does the methadone work for the pain?
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Return to Methadone Sux