Quitting Meth Cold Turkey....need help

This fourm is for people struggling to get off methadone. If you are a methadone advocate then please PISS OFF!

Re: Quitting Meth Cold Turkey....need help

Postby Baglady » Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:32 pm

Ok guys,
We have ran into a problem. Stepper, what you told me the other night has happened. He felt sort ok for a few days and now he is having the worst day yet. He got a little bit of sleep last night after downing a bunch of nyquil nighttime. He feels like he is dying. He is cursing the day he ever ate a pain pill. It's 70 degrees here and he is dressed in serious winter clothing and his skin is a little gray. I'm replenishing the weed supply right now and getting him a few xanaxes as we speak. He really don't care for xanax but this is how I got him through day 10 along with the prescribed clonadine. I do hope to get him to post. He will have to borrow my computer because his ended up in the pawn shop like everything else did when he was so bad off on the pills. lol He's a real private sort of person. I know that he will never agree to any sort of meetings or group type things. Cheeps my thoughts have been the same as yours. I know how sneaky they can be, I also know the signs all too well. He lives with his fiance and she is monitoring things under their roof. I live across the pond about 500 ft from them with a birdseye view. He is extremely homebodied and never goes anywhere. It's a very good neighborhood, all family and no drug issues at all. I cleaned it out last year when he decided to get clean. He cut off his assiciation with all the drug friends when he started the clinic. I don't know of a drug dealer around here that has the balls to come back on my property. He done great on the methadone and it got him off the other shit. The problem is the meth totally took away his drive to work. He lost his motivation (he's an outstanding worker and a very quick study). He got sick of sweating all the time and the feeling of being a slave to that clinic finally got to him and now this is where we are. Day 14 and sick as a dog. I told him again today, if worse comes to worse we can go back on meth or sub and taper down lower and try again. His response is HELL NO!!!!! I'll keep you posted. Your thoughts, suggestions, and warnings mean the world to me.
Baglady

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:27 pm

Damn, I feel for him.

Is he projectile vomiting? Is vertigo a problem? Is he in intense pain, and seizing up?

If the answer to these questions are no, then he should be home free in another month or so-
Not a 12 stepper

Highscores: 2

Postby Baglady » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:55 pm

He was gagging earlier. The nausea is worse than the vomiting. He's a little better now after the xanax and more weed. He's not seizing up. He's waiting on some stuff in the oven and he's going to eat. I just talked to him. He said he wished he had stayed in the clinic and tapered down some more. I asked him again "do you want to go back" and he said no. I've called a lot of his days so far as "good days". To me if he ain't broke down crying like day 10 was it''s a good day. He just told me he's not had a good day yet. You warned me this would happen and you were right. He says today he's feeling worse than day 10. I guess after going through day 10 it is helping him to handle it a little better today. How long will it be like this before he starts to feel a little better? There was no building steps today.
Baglady

Postby syd » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:32 pm

I dont think it's possible to give you a definitive time.

The truth is, he jumped from a massive dose. Add to that, the half life of methadone and you've got some lengthy withdrawals. He's got youth on his side. But, he's also got 7 years of opiate use. Even after the acute withdrawals subside, he's gonna feel like a ton of bricks for a few months to come.

Drinking lots of water, will flush out the liver. Liver(fatty tissue) is where methadone(opiates) are stored.
Avoid processed food, sugar & fried, fatty foods. Fresh fruits, green veggies and low protein, will help detox his liver. Garlic is good, so is Tumeric. Does he like Indian food?
syd

Postby Baglady » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:33 pm

Thanks for the cold hard truth syd. Truth is "THIS IS A FUCKING NIGHTMARE' !!!!! I've been on his ass about eating better food. He was going to take my computer tonight and get caught up on these conversations, but he's too groggy right now. He said he will tomorrow. I'm hoping he will post. After all this education I've gotten over the last few days, I think I've gotten a pretty good grip on just how serious of a situation this really is. I guess at this point all we can do is take it one day at a time. He did ride with me to walmarts a little bit ago. He got another bottle of nyquil severe and I got him some melatonin. Is it possible to jump from a massive dose like this and get through it? Is he doomed to fail and you guys just don't want to be the bearer of bad news? Please don't hold back on your thoughts.
Baglady

Postby syd » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:47 pm

No, he is not doomed to fail. But, he needs to understand, this is a marathon, not a sprint.

I had a friend, who jumped around the same time as I. The difference was, I tapered to 3mg and she jumped at 32mg.
She dropped out of sight, for months, but she made it. She was in her 50's. He has youth on his side.

STOP THE NYQUIL. It has acetaminophen, which is TOXIC to the liver.
syd

Postby Baglady » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:57 pm

Ok, that makes me feel a little better. I have a serious anxiety problem and days like today makes my stomach knot up. We were talking about all this on the way to walmarts. Neither one of us had no clue until now. It's like being kicked real hard in the gut. Reality check.
Baglady

Postby syd » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:18 pm

Get him some Imodium and have him take about 8 of them. Imodium is an opiate, but non addicting, as it doesnt cross the blood brain barrier. This will help a shit ton more for him than anything else. He can take as many as needed, within reason. I've never heard of anyone ODing on them. It will also help with diarrhea.

edited to add...the nyquil or anything tylenol related, will slow down the liver's ability to cleanse itself, therefore prolonging the withdrawals.
syd

Postby Baglady » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:44 pm

Thanks syd. I had read that somewhere before. He's got some but is only taking a couple at a time. The nausea is making swallowing pills a little difficult. I told him that I had read that immodium was an opiate but I don't think he believed it. He spent a little time reading through some of these forums before I joined and posted on his behalf. Tomorrow he will get caught up. We were both thinking that after two or three weeks of this shit the worst would be over. Steppers earlier comment "he should be home free in another month or so" is just now really hitting home. I can see why so many people would just give up.
Baglady

Postby syd » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:00 pm

Emetrol syrup, for the nausea. I think you may have to get it at a drug store, but it's OTC.

You can take quite a few doses, in one hour. Should help a lot with the nausea, so he can get the Imodium in him.
syd

Postby cheeps » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:34 pm

Phenegren is good for nausea too. They have suppositories which are very easily dealt with...can you hit up your primary care dr and see if he'll prescribe flexiril, ativan and clonidine. These are very good comfort meds that he may need for the next month.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby Baglady » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:47 pm

Thanks Cheeps, I got your message. He don't have a regular doctor. On day 10 I carried him to the local clinic. The doctor told me that if I needed further help to come back. Syd I'll try to find this syrup tomorrow. Thanks again you guys are awesome. I stole a pinch of his weed today, I'm hittin the ole one hitter to see if I can calm my ass down a little and put it in the sack, I'm exhausted.
Baglady

Postby cheeps » Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:33 am

Baglady wrote:Thanks Cheeps, I got your message. He don't have a regular doctor. On day 10 I carried him to the local clinic. The doctor told me that if I needed further help to come back. Syd I'll try to find this syrup tomorrow. Thanks again you guys are awesome. I stole a pinch of his weed today, I'm hittin the ole one hitter to see if I can calm my ass down a little and put it in the sack, I'm exhausted.

:nono: :spank: :wiggle: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :lol: :lol:
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby Baglady » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:05 am

Day 15- Thank God it's over because it was another bad one. Not a wink of sleep last night and in misery this morning when I checked on him. He did eat breakfast and laid back down to try and sleep. It didn't happen. We loaded up on Immodium and he took eight of them. About 5:30 this afternoon he drove over to my house, he was coming unglued desperate for releif. The xanax supply ran out, and he don't know of anybody else that has them. He's been out of the circle for too long (which is a good thing). I went on a mission to find something. Someone gave me a whole prescription of seroquel. I gave him two and about 30 minutes later he was out. He told me before I left that if I couldn't find anything he wanted to go back to the doctor in the morning. For him to say that I know he is having a real hard time. I've been reading as much as I can and it does seem to be different for everybody. I was wondering when the "no sleep" part was gonna get him. It was a real bad day.
Baglady

Postby cheeps » Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:45 am

Run the Machine got relief with Seroquel. I'd forgotten about that one.....good score. Mom....he sounds so fucking determined.....tell him this for me...

When I was kicking exactly 5 and a half years ago....I would go thru all the fucking bedtime motions of trying to sleep, I'd be thrashing in the bed for hours so I'd get back up and stagger to the porch to sit and smoke and just sit there trying to convince myself that one of those little teensy moments was comfortable. It was so fucking bad.

But the one thing that always stayed in my mind was, "oh hell no, I will NEVER be a slave to THAT dope again" :MrT: :MrT: :MrT: , and that gave me the gut to deal with the total misery I felt. :puppy-dog: :sick: :( :( :thumbdown: This what we mean when we say that eventually everyone on opies pays the piper.

But the good news is........it is soooo FUCKING worth it.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby Justjules13 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:38 am

It wears you down...the misery day after day...
I feel for him.
My prayers are with ya.
Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Victor Kiam
Pills and IV Morphine- 1985-1999
Methadone maintenance- 1999-May 23,2011 (140mg, tapering to 10 mg)
Suboxone-slow taper to zero, very minimal WD (jump date 12/9/14)
Justjules13

Postby Baglady » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:47 am

When the lady said the word seroquel a lightbulb went off. I knew I had read about one of you guys using it. I'm now (when I have any time) going back and rereading alot of stuff. All this info has been a bit overwhelming. "Being a slave" is alot of his will power too. He did manage to read page one of this thread yesterday but that was it. He was impressed with you guys and what you do. I hope he feels better this morning, I'm about to go find out what today is going to be like. Thanks for the prayers Jules. I know this would wear anybody down, I'm worried about that. It's so ironic, I ran off all the pill people last year and now I need one. This whole ordeal is in no way funny, but I did have to laugh at myself last night.......running around desperate to find drugs.
Baglady

Postby Justjules13 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:08 am

Nerontin really helped me...and it seems everyone knows somebody that takes it. Trazadone helps for sleep too, but I think Seriquil might be stronger...
Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Victor Kiam
Pills and IV Morphine- 1985-1999
Methadone maintenance- 1999-May 23,2011 (140mg, tapering to 10 mg)
Suboxone-slow taper to zero, very minimal WD (jump date 12/9/14)
Justjules13

Postby Baglady » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:15 pm

Thanks Jules, One thing I forgot to tell you guys is that I've had him on neurontin since around day 4 or 5. A very good friend of mine has went through a spinal fusion, etc. She has had her share of having to detox over the years and really feels for him. She had just came from the doctor with a prescription and gave it right to me. He has been taking them but he swears up and down they don't help him. I thought last night that the seroquel had knocked him out but this morning he informed me that he couldn't go to sleep. He experienced severe pain in his legs and arms. This went on for a while and then he did go to sleep. Thank God today has been a much better day. He is doing serious housework, yard work and has stayed active all day. The main problem today has been the headache. We scored four more xanax. This is day sixteen. He did take time out today to finish reading this thread so far. Tomorrow he will read the link that cheeps sent me. He does understand that this is a marathon and not a sprint like syd said. He is getting educated here and is determined to keep moving forward. He says it really is a roller coaster ride. Hopefully he will get some more "better days" before the next really bad one hits. One day at a time and one night at a time.
Baglady

Postby cheeps » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:21 pm

Up his Neurotin...double it.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
cheeps
Advanced Member