Quitting Meth Cold Turkey....need help

This fourm is for people struggling to get off methadone. If you are a methadone advocate then please PISS OFF!

Quitting Meth Cold Turkey....need help

Postby Baglady » Thu Mar 27, 2014 10:01 pm

My son developed a pain pill addiction at age 16 after getting himself a pretty bad hernia. Over the years since then, things have gotten worse. All sorts of "lesser" pain pills, roxies, oc's, opana and last year ended up snorting heroin. Never the needle. He wanted to get off the drugs but just couldn't do it on his own. Someone told him about the methadone clinic. We should have done some research first (I'm his mother). At first everything was fine. He never had any urges for any opioids once he got on methadone. He reached 75 mg fairly quick. They urged him to go higher but he didn't want to. He wanted to start tapering and they wouldn't let him. A few months later and they still didn't want to talk about tapering. It became pretty obvious they wanted him to stay on it forever. After eight months of taking this crap he missed a weekend dose on purpose. When he went back on the following Monday morning and they lowered him to about 45. He on purpose missed a couple of times that week forcing them to leave him around 45. Again he missed the next weekend dose. Felt like shit so went back for a Monday morning dose and then jumped off cold turkey. He refuses to go back. The first few days weren't so bad and then around day 4 and 5 things got worse. I went online to do some research and found this website. I also found the "Thomas Recipe". I have got him all the otc stuff to help with his withdrawels. He got through the next several days without dying. Today was day 10 and all hell broke loose. He just simply broke down. After alot of urging I finally talked him into seeing a doctor. The doctor asked him if he wanted suboxone. We had already read up on the nightmares of that. He don't want to get off one bad drug just to get on another bad drug. He just wants some relief from these horrible withdrawels of methadone. The doctor wrote him a scrip for clonadine. He took one and started feeling alot better and by later this evening he was able to do a little housework. He has no desire for pain pills and wants off all drugs really bad. Could someone please tell me what to expect now. Is there anyone out there that has quit this shit cold turkey and suceeded. If so, can you give us some advice.
Baglady

Re: Quitting Meth Cold Turkey....need help

Postby mynameisDAN82 » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:42 am

I would think your son is about through the worst part of the physical withdrawls, smart not to take any more opiates at this point. The OTC stuff really won't help a hole lot.. ibprofin, water, maybe some vitimans..

Sounds like a strong willed guy, he can definitely pull through! Also, props to you, for being there for him!

Sorry, I don't know much about meth detox, only that it SUCKS ASS!!
Sub free since 10-20-2012
mynameisDAN82

Postby Baglady » Fri Mar 28, 2014 2:24 pm

Thanks for your response Dan. He looks like hell this morning and is not feeling good at all but he is tolerating. The clonadine must be helping some because he did sleep last night. He definately has his mind made up to get off this shit and cold turkey is the way for him to go. He has been reading some on this forum and I think that helps him. He has a better understanding of what he is in for. He's not mad at methadone he is just mad at the clinic people. Methadone got him off the drugs and has totally took away his urge for opiates. He feels like he should have never went as high as he did and he shouldn't have been on it but for a short time. He knows there is not an easy way out and has totally accepted his fate. He really wants to be off all drugs and I think that's the biggest part of the battle. He seems to be more worried about things that he will be facing after the physical part. Like the ability to be happy and stuff like that. Going from 75 down to 45 in two weeks and then jumping is a pretty stout move I think. Hopefully others that have done this will chime in. This is day eleven. Thanks again.
Baglady

Postby cheeps » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:13 pm

Go here......lots of good info.....but not everybody experiences the same shit. The worst thing seems to be lack of sleep once you get past the "kick". He's probably just over the worst of that. Mom.....read the whole thread and he needs to drink a shitload of water...all day and night. He needs to watch funny movies or TV.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1391
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby Baglady » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:14 pm

Thanks Cheeps, that is very good information. He will be reading it himself tomorrow. Since yesterday I have done a lot of reading on this site. Ya'll are the best, keep up the good work. Here lately I feel like I need more help than he does. This is a tough thing to go through......even though I'm not the one who is going through methadone withdraws, I'm having alot of anxiety, headaches and my stomach is all knotted up just watching him. I would trade places with him in a skinny minute if I could. Yesterday absolutely sucked! Today was better and hopefully tomorrow will be too.

Mom
Baglady

Postby cheeps » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:52 pm

Baglady wrote:Thanks Cheeps, that is very good information. He will be reading it himself tomorrow. Since yesterday I have done a lot of reading on this site. Ya'll are the best, keep up the good work. Here lately I feel like I need more help than he does. This is a tough thing to go through......even though I'm not the one who is going through methadone withdraws, I'm having alot of anxiety, headaches and my stomach is all knotted up just watching him. I would trade places with him in a skinny minute if I could. Yesterday absolutely sucked! Today was better and hopefully tomorrow will be too.

Mom

Mom, my son is 23.....if I had to watch him....I'd be crazy. I cannot stand to see someone suffer.....that WOULD be torture.

I think your son will get thru it alright....I did when I was 50. Course, us ole bats are tough as nails. :MrT: :lol:
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby Baglady » Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:04 pm

Thanks Cheeps, I'm a pretty tough old bat myself and I'm real used to hard knocks but this is difficult. This morning things are looking up. He's up and pretty active, looks better than he has in days and very talkative for a change and says the headache is gone. He's drinking lots of water and gatorade. I'm sure there will be some bad days still to come but I think you guys are right........he just might be through the absolute worse of this.

Mom
Baglady

Postby syd » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:42 pm

I've heard of some pretty bad experiences at methadone clinics. I believe this one is the worst.

I'm sorry your son, had to go thru that. I'm really lucky, that the clinic I went to in Winston Salem, N.C., supported me all thru my taper and detox.

I hope he's over the worst of it and wish you both the best.
syd

Postby Baglady » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:35 pm

Hi Sid. My son was in the one in Lexington NC. That place is crazy, The majority of the people there are still using heroin. Even the guard that works there told me to get my son away because they were going to do everything they could to keep him. They are making a killing. People out in the parking lot sharing their take-homes with others and running it up their arms right there. They don't give a rats ass what shows up in these peoples drugs tests, they just keep upping their doses. There are alot of tree service people that go every morning, they are all strung out on heroin and only want methadone to get them through the day until they make a little money to hit the dope house every evening. My blood boils just thinking about it. I know for over two months my son wanted to start tapering but his counselor kept telling him he wasn't ready. He kept insisting so she said they would give it a try but eveyday she kept coming up with one excuse after another. The doctor is not in today you'll have to wait till next week, etc,etc. I'm glad you had a better experience and hope you are doing well. We had heard that the one in Winston was much better. Well he just completed day 12 and it was an excellent day. I'm pretty sure he's through the worst of it. Thanks for your kind words.
Baglady

Postby syd » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:38 am

That must be a fairly new clinic. I dont know how they are getting by with this stuff. Obviously, the govt is not regulating them, like when I was going. It was really strict, then. I had to submit to a urinalysis, every time I dosed, until I got my take homes. Group therapy, was mandatory, 3 times a week. One dirty urine and they would raise your dose. 2 and you were out of the program.

Well, he's outta there now. Hopefully, this detox will assure he never wants to go thru this again.

I think it's awesome, the he could come to you, with this. Not all mothers would have been so supportive.

Yes, I'm fine, thank you. This will be my 8th year, off mmt.
syd

Postby mano » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:50 am

The one good thing is being young he should recover fairly quickly. Urge him to exercise....Just a long walk every day is good for starters, and then when he is feeling better he can step it up a little...and as others have said, staying extra hydrated helps a lot...Pump all the water down him he can stand.

He will have to be careful though...I'm sure he has friends that use opiates still, and the temptation will be strong in a few weeks once he's past the worst of all this. Everybody says "never again" at this point of detoxing, but that quickly changes and many do relapse, so keep a close eye on him. Hopefully he can make some new friends and leave the drug using ones behind.

Best regards to both of you!
mano
Local Fixture

Postby Justjules13 » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:11 pm

I broke the chains of MMT three yrs ago...(but went to sub for two yrs)
All opiate "replacement therapy" is still doing drugs..
He's bound to feel shitty for a couple months..it's a whole lifestyle change.
Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Victor Kiam
Pills and IV Morphine- 1985-1999
Methadone maintenance- 1999-May 23,2011 (140mg, tapering to 10 mg)
Suboxone-slow taper to zero, very minimal WD (jump date 12/9/14)
Justjules13

Postby cheeps » Sun Mar 30, 2014 1:30 pm

MOM....I have moved this thread to Methadone Sux...just doing some general housekeeping.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby Baglady » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:12 pm

syd wrote:That must be a fairly new clinic. I dont know how they are getting by with this stuff. Obviously, the govt is not regulating them, like when I was going. It was really strict, then. I had to submit to a urinalysis, every time I dosed, until I got my take homes. Group therapy, was mandatory, 3 times a week. One dirty urine and they would raise your dose. 2 and you were out of the program.

Well, he's outta there now. Hopefully, this detox will assure he never wants to go thru this again.

I think it's awesome, the he could come to you, with this. Not all mothers would have been so supportive.

Yes, I'm fine, thank you. This will be my 8th year, off mmt.

Congrats on the 8th year Syd. I asked him again about this clinic. He was only drug tested twice a month at most. He said they do dose them down if they find benzos. Just in the 8 months or so that he was there, he said the population went through the roof. It got real disorganized and heroin has took over in our neck of the woods. And your right, he feels this whole detox thing is going to be good for him and keep him from making bad decisions in the future. I'm glad he comes to me too. I'm his rock right now, he knows I'm totally behind him. If plan A fails we'll just come up with a plan B.
Baglady

Postby Baglady » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:33 pm

mano wrote:The one good thing is being young he should recover fairly quickly. Urge him to exercise....Just a long walk every day is good for starters, and then when he is feeling better he can step it up a little...and as others have said, staying extra hydrated helps a lot...Pump all the water down him he can stand.

He will have to be careful though...I'm sure he has friends that use opiates still, and the temptation will be strong in a few weeks once he's past the worst of all this. Everybody says "never again" at this point of detoxing, but that quickly changes and many do relapse, so keep a close eye on him. Hopefully he can make some new friends and leave the drug using ones behind.

Best regards to both of you!

Thanks for the input Mano. He ditched all the "friends" months ago when he went to the clinic. He's a really to himself kind of person anyway. He has a fabulous fiance rooting for him and they have a beautiful 6 month old baby boy. I have a pretty good business built up (rental properties) and we live here too. What few friends that were still waving pills in his face....I evicted them. It's a cleaned out neighborhood. I've got quite a reputation with the drug dealers around here. I'm not even five feet tall but I'll go to their ass.
Baglady

Postby Baglady » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:49 pm

Justjules13 wrote:I broke the chains of MMT three yrs ago...(but went to sub for two yrs)
All opiate "replacement therapy" is still doing drugs..
He's bound to feel shitty for a couple months..it's a whole lifestyle change.

Congrats on being "free" Jules. Alot of people suggested suboxen. We learned our lesson about jumping into something before doing some research. That's what brought me to you wonderful people. He read all about it and decided to just tough it out and get it over with.
Baglady

Postby Baglady » Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:01 pm

Thanks Cheeps. After I first posted I realized that I put it in the wrong place and I was hoping somebody would move it. He's starting to get a little more active now. Yesterday he did some tractor work on a dirt road for a while. In the morning he's going to help me build a set of steps. He's taking all of this advice seriously. Another member was kind enough to pm me last night and made us aware of what's probably going to happen next. We're in day 13 and so far all is good.
Baglady

Postby syd » Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:09 am

Glad to hear he's feeling better.
I jumped off a measly 3mg and didnt sleep more than 20 minutes for the first month. It was almost 3 months, before I got more than 4 hrs sleep.

Again, it's great you are in his corner. But, having him here, would be much better. Can you get him to start posting?
syd

Postby cheeps » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:28 am

Baglady........the general consensus among as old meth bats is that your son feels better.......too soon. We want to warn you....this detox is so nasty that he could have a stash.

He could be taking something else. This is NOT unusual. If this is so, he needs to taper that slowly. I want to remind you that ANY effort to stop methadone is FUCKING HARD....it normally takes more than one try or taper plan.

What do you think?
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:21 pm

I don't want to be a bad influence or anything... But I tend to be very frank when I hear of someone who's committed as your son is to detoxing methadone. The only official "comfort med" I've used, was doctor prescribed xanax, which did help...

But, for me Cannabis helps just as much if you know how to use it and isn't as dangerous, or addictive.

If you live in an area where you have access to strong Indica varieties, they are a better option than benzo's in my opinion.

Better yet, if you can somehow get or make Cannabis concentrates, also known as hash, or oil, (not butane oil) they work the best for opiate withdrawal when eaten with food.

These days they make all kinds of cannabis infused foods. But When I had my herb garden, I used my plant scraps to make hash, and just ate the hash plain, on a cracker, or if I had extended periods of dry heaves, vaporize some, and then put a big chunk where the sun doesn't shine, and it helps.
Not a 12 stepper

Highscores: 2

Next

Return to Methadone Sux