Tapering Methadone

This fourm is for people struggling to get off methadone. If you are a methadone advocate then please PISS OFF!

Tapering Methadone

Postby PrettyInPain » Wed Aug 07, 2013 11:12 am

Hey guys! I've been lurking and reading your stories for half the night because I couldn't sleep, and I really wanted to thank you all for sharing your experiences. For the first time in years, I feel a teeny bit hopeful that I will finally be rid of this methadone shit someday. You are all lovely, inspiring people.

This is the second time I'm attempting to write this, so I hope it turns out okay. My DOC was Roxy 30's. It's crazy how such a tiny blue pill had the capacity to ruin my life. I was young and stupid, and I had no idea that I'd get so sick. After all, I took loris like they were candy, but I guess it wasn't habitual enough to put me in WDs. I was out of money and sick as shit with Roxy WDs, so I researched outpatient treatment centers. Knowing what I know now, I wish I would have just rode out the Roxy WDs, because Methadone is awful.

I've been on methadone for almost 5 years. My highest dosage was 100mgs, and I was on that dose for years. I know it was too high for me. I would feel exhausted constantly and sweat all the time- not so fun when you're trying to expand your schooling. But that was nothing compared to the other methadone-related horrors I've endured. I gained about 100 pounds. It disgusts me to even admit it, but it's true. I was skinny until I started methadone. It's like my metabolism just stopped working altogether! I did NOT change my eating habits and I always excercise. It's depressing to look in the mirror and see someone I don't recognize. I'm lucky enough to have a boyfriend that is intelligent and loves me for ME, but my mom is so critical and berating me about gaining weight. If only she knew why I've gained this weight. I know a lot of people, especially women, have endured similar methadone related weight gain. I have not found anyone that has been able to lose weight other than ceasing methadone (thank God I'm tapering, but it's going to be a long time coming before I'm off). So the weight thing is a big issue, because it's not easy being an overweight female in this society. But it doesn't stop there. I feel like I have lost everything that made me "me." I feel like an 88-year-old ZOMBIE. My brain has turned to soup. I can't remember things that happened just seconds ago. I can tell the blood flow to my brain isn't what it should be. I almost black out whenever I laugh as a consequence to that. I am almost positive I have sleep apnea now. I am always tired, and little things seem like monumental tasks. Doing the dishes shouldn't feel like traveling to Mount Doom to destroy the one ring, right? :banghead: I also have terrible anxiety. I usually get panic attacks at night, but occasionally I get them at other times of day. It's not so pleasant, especially at work when I need to be on the ball. Feeling sick triggers my panic attacks, so you can imagine what kind of hell this all is. My hormones are all fucked up, and so are my adrenals.

I tapered from 20mg to 19mg two weeks ago, and I am really feeling it. My anxiety is through the roof. I can't sleep, and when I do, I wake up constantly through the night. I grind my teeth. I get stomach pain and the creepy crawly sensation on my skin. Night time is the worst for all of this. I am pissed that I'm suffering like this, even though I'm still on methadone. I have been tapering 1mg every 3 weeks (it was faster when my dose was higher), and I can't go any faster if I want to keep my take homes. I currently take Natural Calm as a calcium/magnesium supplement and Amazing Grass Green Superfood. The latter used to help me feel a bit energized, but only worked a few weeks. Are there any other supplements I could take to get me through this taper? Any advice would mean the world to me.

Thank you guys for reading, from the bottom of my heart. My sympathy goes out to anyone else that has ever had to endure this hell.
Last edited by PrettyInPain on Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
I finally jumped!!! First day methadone-free: 12/16/14
Winter's gonna end, I'm gonna clean these veins again, so close to dying that I finally can start living.
For a star to be born, there is one thing that must happen: a gaseous nebula must collapse. 

So collapse. 
Crumble.
 This is not your destruction. 

This is your birth.
PrettyInPain

Re: Tapering Methadone

Postby nootlsjr » Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:43 pm

you can wake up one day and find it was all just a nightmare of the past. just keap at it. the question of being clean is inevitable, its the question of time. patience and persistence. good luck fellow pain sufferer. you will heal, but its hard to navigate through the days with blinders on. make a list of whats important as reminders. welcome.
Y ask Y,Y. Y is Y.....
nootlsjr

Postby PrettyInPain » Wed Aug 07, 2013 3:55 pm

nootlsjr wrote:you can wake up one day and find it was all just a nightmare of the past. just keap at it. the question of being clean is inevitable, its the question of time. patience and persistence. good luck fellow pain sufferer. you will heal, but its hard to navigate through the days with blinders on. make a list of whats important as reminders. welcome.

Hey, thank you so much for your reply. It truly means a lot to me. I look forward to the day that I can look back on all this and feel good that I have overcome such a shitty thing. Thanks for the idea about making a list of important things to keep me going. Thats a good plan. My therapist thinks I should write inspitational quotes around my house too. I guess anything positive can only help! Thank you again!
Winter's gonna end, I'm gonna clean these veins again, so close to dying that I finally can start living.
For a star to be born, there is one thing that must happen: a gaseous nebula must collapse. 

So collapse. 
Crumble.

This is your birth.
PrettyInPain

Postby Justjules13 » Wed Aug 07, 2013 6:53 pm

Have you ever thought about doing a blind taper?
Does your clinic do those?
Your clinic threatens to yank your take homes for asking to taper faster? Do you mind me asking what state your in?
Welcome..
Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Victor Kiam
Pills and IV Morphine- 1985-1999
Methadone maintenance- 1999-May 23,2011 (140mg, tapering to 10 mg)
Suboxone-slow taper to zero, very minimal WD (jump date 12/9/14)
Justjules13

Postby PrettyInPain » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:03 pm

Justjules13 wrote:Have you ever thought about doing a blind taper?

Hey there! Yes, my clinic does blind tapering and yes, I have indeed thought about it. I have just been worried that I would either get too sick, or I'd be on methadone longer than I intend to be. But I don't know enough about it! Is it something you'd recommend? Thank you so much for replying to me! :)

So collapse. 
Crumble.

This is your birth.
PrettyInPain

Postby PrettyInPain » Wed Aug 07, 2013 7:07 pm

Justjules13 wrote:Have you ever thought about doing a blind taper?
Your clinic threatens to yank your take homes for asking to taper faster? Do you mind me asking what state your in?
Welcome..

Sadly yes, if I want to taper any faster than is recommended by their doctor, my take homes get taken away. My clinic has all sorts of ridiculous and ever-changing rules. I don't mind at all, I live in Nevada. Thank you for the warm welcome! :)

So collapse. 
Crumble.

This is your birth.
PrettyInPain

Postby Justjules13 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:35 am

I've done a blind taper in the past, but I wasn't tapering a low dose and I wasn't worried about them not tapering me fast enough. I think in the past I wanted to be "in charge" of my taper and doing it blindly gave me more anxiety, not less...but letting go of those control issues can work for some people and help them worry less.
I've never heard of a clinic threatening to take away take homes for wanting to taper faster...that's crazy. Do you have a patient advocate at your clinic? My clinics where in Calif and Texas and both had fierce advocates that really watched out for patients rights.
It sounds like your doing it slow and steady. I had real problems under 10 mg and switched to sub..but I'm not sure it made any difference in the withdrawal. I was on meth 12 yrs.
I think it's really important to change a lot of things when you taper. Eating better, exercising more, just being good to yourself...those kinds of things. It's also important to find a taper buddy. Have you been on meth boards? (We speak methadone?)
Victor Kiam
Justjules13

Postby PrettyInPain » Thu Aug 08, 2013 12:32 pm

Justjules13 wrote:I've done a blind taper in the past, but I wasn't tapering a low dose and I wasn't worried about them not tapering me fast enough. I think in the past I wanted to be "in charge" of my taper and doing it blindly gave me more anxiety, not less...but letting go of those control issues can work for some people and help them worry less.
I've never heard of a clinic threatening to take away take homes for wanting to taper faster...that's crazy. Do you have a patient advocate at your clinic? My clinics where in Calif and Texas and both had fierce advocates that really watched out for patients rights.
It sounds like your doing it slow and steady. I had real problems under 10 mg and switched to sub..but I'm not sure it made any difference in the withdrawal. I was on meth 12 yrs.
I think it's really important to change a lot of things when you taper. Eating better, exercising more, just being good to yourself...those kinds of things. It's also important to find a taper buddy. Have you been on meth boards? (We speak methadone?)

Hey there! Thanks again for your reply- it's really nice to talk to someone that's been through this stuff too. I guess I'm paranoid that if I did a blind taper that they'd just keep me on as long as possible. I feel like it's all about making money for them. Yeah, it's really lame that I can't taper faster if I want to keep my take homes. I taper down one milligram every 3 weeks, then it gets even slower when i hit 10mg. I feel like such a slave to this place. I really wanted to go on sub instead from the get go, but I couldn't afford it. Though it sounds like sub has issues in and of itself! No, we don't have any sort of patient advocate here in NV. I guess I can't speak for all clinics here, but mine sure doesn't. And our counselors are an absolute joke. Any time I address any concern about how long they've kept me on this poison, how I've gained weight from it and how I feel like a zombie, my counselors (ive been through 3 because of their retention rate) just sit and look at me like I have 5 heads. Every single one of them has done that any time I bring up concern about methadone. I get so pissed because most of the $50 fee I have to pay weekly is for the counseling fees. But the clinic counselors are so bad that I have sought out my own therapist outside of the clinic, where I spend half the time complaining about methadone and the wicked clinic ;)

Thanks for the advice about eating healthier, exercising more, and being good to myself. I can see where that is important. I def try to eat healthy and my boyfriend and I ride bikes every day. I'd like to try even harder though. We took our dog for a long walk at the park yesterday, and also took a long bike ride afterwards. And I actually got some sleep last night! My bf is also tapering methadone, so I have really good support in him. He doesn't really have WDs though, even though he's already at 3mg less than me. I have been on Methadone Anonymous, but they're a strong support site and a lot of them swear by meth and want to be on it forever, so I didn't find support there. I even tried to email on of their admins, who seemed to have some issues i had, but i never heard back. I will check out We Speak Methadone- thanks for the advice!

Sorry this was so very long. I can't thank you enough for your advice and your time. You're the best!! <3 <3 <3

So collapse. 
Crumble.

This is your birth.
PrettyInPain

Postby Justjules13 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:56 pm

The woman who runs the We Speak Methadone site is a patient advocate and methadone patient. She knows all the federal and most state rules regarding methadone. If you ever have a question about the legality of your clinics rules, shed be the one to ask.
It's great that you and your BF are doing this together. It just proves how different we all are in tapers that he's not having as much trouble as you are...You might just need a little more time to adjust to each drop..
Your on the right path...remember, slow and steady wins the race!
Victor Kiam
Justjules13

Postby PrettyInPain » Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:32 pm

Justjules13 wrote:The woman who runs the We Speak Methadone site is a patient advocate and methadone patient. She knows all the federal and most state rules regarding methadone. If you ever have a question about the legality of your clinics rules, shed be the one to ask.
It's great that you and your BF are doing this together. It just proves how different we all are in tapers that he's not having as much trouble as you are...You might just need a little more time to adjust to each drop..
Your on the right path...remember, slow and steady wins the race!

Thanks again for recommending that forum to me. She definitely seems to know her stuff, so I'll probably email her my questions. I feel bad asking questions to anyone, but I am seriously at my witt's end and
I had no idea where to turn. I do have one more question for you if you don't mind. I read in the subsux thread that you and sub zero and a few others have dealt with lack of motovation on methadone (suboxone too). Any theories on why it does this? I feel like I can't do anything ever. My aunt it coming over in two days and I'm so anxious about getting my house clean, and everything has just taken an extreme amount of effort no matter big or small the task. I have never had problems with being motivated or even getting excited about stuff before methadone but now everything is just a huge burden and it makes me so depressed. Thanks again for your help and for talking to me :)

So collapse. 
Crumble.

This is your birth.
PrettyInPain

Postby syd » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:26 am

Actually, your clinic is working a good plan. When you get to 10mg, you will appreciate that they are taking it slow.

I have a couple of questions, before I reply fully.
How many takes homes do you get?
What other medications do you take, prescription as well as over the counter?

I did a slow taper and it wasnt all that bad. Oct.1, will be 7 yrs off that nasty shit.
syd

Postby Justjules13 » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:42 am

That's a good question. I'm not real sure why opiates cause lack of motivation.
I think they gave me a boost of energy at first and the longer I took them, the more they caused lack of energy and anxiety. I don't know much about benzos, but I think the same thing happens with them. They work at first, but then you get more anxiety than you had in the beginning after taking them for a while. I'm not really sure why. I suppose it has something to do with brain receptors being artificially flooded with opiates and either shutting down or growing more receptors...or something..lol
You might find the attitude "why get off methadone?" over at We Speak Methadone. It is a pro-meth site. But there are people who have tapered there too and I agree 100% of them should rather live meth free.
Let us know how your doing with your taper. It took me over a couple yrs to taper from 140-10mg.
Your getting there!
Victor Kiam
Justjules13

Postby PrettyInPain » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:25 am

syd wrote:Actually, your clinic is working a good plan. When you get to 10mg, you will appreciate that they are taking it slow.

I have a couple of questions, before I reply fully.
How many takes homes do you get?
What other medications do you take, prescription as well as over the counter?

I did a slow taper and it wasnt all that bad. Oct.1, will be 7 yrs off that nasty shit.

Oh no, sorry it took me so long to reply! I didn't see your post until just now. I am scared to hit 10mg, but I am very determined to get through this. I've been going in and out of WDs. I'm on 18mg now. Now that my body recognized the dose decrease, I'm peeing every 2 seconds like a racehorse. And I'm also having body aches everywhere, and wake up in cold sweats. And my heart is out of control! But I'd say this is all pretty tolerable, at least for now.
To answer your questions, I have 6 take homes. I qualify for more apparently, but my bf and I are already paying $100 a week, and can't afford to pay more (obtaining 100 is literary a weekly miracle!). I'm not on any other prescriptions. All I am taking right now is the Natural Calm calcium/magnesium supplement. What else would you recommend?

Oh wow- congrats on almost 7 years free of methadone! You should be way proud of yourself, and you give me hope! Was the jump from 1mg to nothing really hard in your experience?

Thanks so much for your reply, and I apologize again for taking all this time to write back!

So collapse. 
Crumble.

This is your birth.
PrettyInPain

Postby PrettyInPain » Sat Aug 24, 2013 11:53 am

Justjules13 wrote:That's a good question. I'm not real sure why opiates cause lack of motivation.
I think they gave me a boost of energy at first and the longer I took them, the more they caused lack of energy and anxiety. I don't know much about benzos, but I think the same thing happens with them. They work at first, but then you get more anxiety than you had in the beginning after taking them for a while. I'm not really sure why. I suppose it has something to do with brain receptors being artificially flooded with opiates and either shutting down or growing more receptors...or something..lol
You might find the attitude "why get off methadone?" over at We Speak Methadone. It is a pro-meth site. But there are people who have tapered there too and I agree 100% of them should rather live meth free.
Let us know how your doing with your taper. It took me over a couple yrs to taper from 140-10mg.
Your getting there!

Hi again! I wish there were more independent studies on this kind of stuff. I can only imagine what the clinic doctor I signed up with (we've been through 2 more, so she's gone now! Good riddance!) would have said if I asked about any side effects. I couldn't even get her to tell me the success rate of people being able to get off of methadone (I asked her the day I signed up). She said there were no official studies! :ogeez: Anyway, I think you have a very good theory about brain receptors being artificially flooded with opiates either shutting down or multiplying. One thing that freaks me out is the insanely long half-life methadone has, and the fact that the brain doesn't have any idea of what it's supposed to naturally feel like without methadone.
It makes me sad that some people want to live like this their entire lives. I am daydreaming and hoping and yearning for what it's like to feel human again, without any drugs. I feel like my 20's have vanished into thin air, and that thought makes me want to cry.
Did you feel any WDs on your taper? I know you switched from methadone to suboxone when you hit 10mg. If you don't mind me asking, did they make you go in WDs first before you started sub? you must feel so great to be rid of all these terrible medicines!! I'm so glad you were able to overcome this crap. It really does give me hope!
I tapered to 18mg a bit ago, and I'm ok so far. I have some WDs (listed above), but they're tolerable for the time being.

So collapse. 
Crumble.

This is your birth.
PrettyInPain

Postby Justjules13 » Sat Aug 24, 2013 3:35 pm

Hi Pretty,
Yes...I did feel in WD during my methadone taper, but not until I got down to about 20mg. I felt just generally shitty, and got terrible headaches below 10mg. I think the lowest I got was 7mg, but if I'd gone slower, instead of 1 or 2mg a week, I think I'd have made it. I've seen lots of people taper off meth or get to 1mg a day.
I only waited 48 hours to switch from meth to sub, because I was so low. They started me on 12 mg of sub (but I lowered it to 4mg in a couple days)...but I'm sure 2mg would have covered the WD. I subsequently went back to meth, and jumped from 30mg meth to 1mg sub!!!
It does feel great not to be a slave to drugs.
You are doing this the right way. I rushed the meth detox. If I could do it over, I would have tapered the meth slower and not get on the sub at all. It might take you a yr to get off meth, but you'll be off it for good. I know it seems like your going really slowly, but it seems like you were just in the 20s, and now your at 18. I don't think you will have any trouble getting under 10mg.
You GO girl!
Victor Kiam
Justjules13

Postby PrettyInPain » Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:13 pm

Justjules13 wrote:Hi Pretty,
Yes...I did feel in WD during my methadone taper, but not until I got down to about 20mg. I felt just generally shitty, and got terrible headaches below 10mg. I think the lowest I got was 7mg, but if I'd gone slower, instead of 1 or 2mg a week, I think I'd have made it. I've seen lots of people taper off meth or get to 1mg a day.
I only waited 48 hours to switch from meth to sub, because I was so low. They started me on 12 mg of sub (but I lowered it to 4mg in a couple days)...but I'm sure 2mg would have covered the WD. I subsequently went back to meth, and jumped from 30mg meth to 1mg sub!!!
It does feel great not to be a slave to drugs.
You are doing this the right way. I rushed the meth detox. If I could do it over, I would have tapered the meth slower and not get on the sub at all. It might take you a yr to get off meth, but you'll be off it for good. I know it seems like your going really slowly, but it seems like you were just in the 20s, and now your at 18. I don't think you will have any trouble getting under 10mg.
You GO girl!

Hey Jules! :D
Sorry you dealt with WD during your taper too. I really am. Under 20 and 10mg seem to be the hard points! That is so awesome that you have seen a lot of people taper off methadone/get to 1mg a day. I bet it helped to have the patient rights advocates :banana:
Thank you for the positive encouragement, and for being so nice to me. You have helped me more than you know.
How are you feeling now that it's been awhile off these things?

So collapse. 
Crumble.

This is your birth.
PrettyInPain

Postby Justjules13 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:39 am

I have to admit to still feeling unmotivated at times. But I was on opiates a LONG time, so I'm giving myself a break. Some days I just stay home and read all day. I'm not feeling depressed or anxious, just lazy..lol. But things get better daily.
I'm so glad your continueing on your path dispite some discomfort. I'm sure you will be delighted not to deal with clinics or have meth effect your life any longer. Keep me posted on how your doing...and thanks for the kind words!
Victor Kiam
Justjules13

Postby nootlsjr » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:24 am

just wanted to say keap up the daily fight pip. your gaining on it. 'the journey of a thousand miles starts with one step'. your way past the first steps. im routn for you. congrats to everyday closer.
Y ask Y,Y. Y is Y.....
nootlsjr

Postby PrettyInPain » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:41 am

Jules- I'm so sorry you're still feeling that lack of motivation. Your body is probably like "hey, I'm recovering here! Don't do too much!" ;) But seriously, your body is healing and I think giving it time to heal, and being kind to yourself, is a good thing! You beat the biggest monsters in the world, and should be so very proud! What do you like to read? I am glad you're not feeling anxious or depressed through, some people don't realize how difficult both of those things are to deal with.
Thank you so much for the encouragement. I'm looking for a new job (I have 2 part time but no hours), and it's been tough while tapering. I get angry and hopeless so, so easily. I guess it doesn't help to live somewhere with a 20 percent unemployment rate, haha.but I'm worried that I will feel sick or get a panic attack at work, especially if the job is at night. I don't want to get fired for being sick all the time :( Can I just reiterate... Methadone SUX!

nootlsjr- You are so kind! Thank you so much for the encouraging quote and for being so nice to me. It's really great to be somewhere where I don't have to censor myself or speak highly of methadone, and you guys are so supportive. And I was going to add something else, but my brain won't let me remember it. Gah! Anyway, thank you!!!

So collapse. 
Crumble.

This is your birth.
PrettyInPain

Postby Justjules13 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:56 pm

You just keep plodding along. It took me almost three yrs of tapering meth and sub...
But I really think doing meth SLOWLY is the way to go...
Thanks for the sweet thoughts..
I like reading anything nonfiction...but listen to sci fi pod casts at night...they help me get to sleep.
Ok....you go girl! (slowly..lol)
Victor Kiam
Justjules13

Next

Return to Methadone Sux