what is technically the average MG for methadone?

This fourm is for people struggling to get off methadone. If you are a methadone advocate then please PISS OFF!

what is technically the average MG for methadone?

Postby GoodVibrations » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:34 pm

Just curious as to the range of an average dose. I.e. Like 40-90mg ???Just a guess

and a high dose would be like 120-180 mg ? Correct me if you think you have a better clue . peace out
What is the point livin' your life numbed out and not appreciating the beauty in this world. Shit man , we live this once...And once only.

Sub free since 4/14/12
GoodVibrations

Re: what is technically the average MG for methadone?

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:11 am

When I was on methadone 10 years ago, they started everyone on 30mg.

Pain clinics tried to keep chronic pain patients on about 50mg. Some folks were able to stay at that level for years with no problems.

Other people develop a tolerance.

At that time, most pain clinics wouldn't RX more than 120mg. I was told over and over, that I'd become "addicted" when I was in withdrawal, begging for another increase that put me over the magical 120mg per day.

I ended up finally finding a doctor at a VA hospital, that was willing to rx higher doses for my chronic pain.

When I got up to 280mg per day, I was finally able to maintain for several months without needing another increase.

Everyone is different in regards to dosage, when maintaining on methadone... But I've only heard from a dozen or so people that needed more than 200mg on a split dose, to stay comfortable.
Not a 12 stepper

Highscores: 2

Postby Justjules13 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 6:18 am

Jesus Chist Stepper! How the hell did you ever get off the stuff? My highest dose was 140mg and it took yrs to taper.
J
Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Victor Kiam
Pills and IV Morphine- 1985-1999
Methadone maintenance- 1999-May 23,2011 (140mg, tapering to 10 mg)
Suboxone-slow taper to zero, very minimal WD (jump date 12/9/14)
Justjules13

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:15 am

It was really weird Jules-

Every time I'd get my dose increased, I'd be good for about 3 months. Then I'd start waking up drenched in sweat, and in withdrawal. And sometimes I'd get so sick (full blown methadone withdrawal) I HAD to take extra opiates to pull out of it.

But after I got that last increase, I was up to taking 7-10mg pills every 6 hours, and that was it. I didn't start getting sick after 3 months. Instead, I started feeling a little bit over medicated most of the time.

Then I found out I was gonna be a father, and decided I'd try to taper my dose down. I honestly didn't think I'd be able to do it, but it went pretty smooth until I got down to about 20mg.

I did hit a few rough patches tapering, especially below 10mg. I had to go back up with my dose a little bit, a few times...

But I was highly motivated to jump by the time the baby was born.

I didn't quite make it though. My son was 1 month old when I jumped off 5mg.

I can't do nearly as much walking or standing these days, as I could on methadone (due to my pain levels) but at least I'm able to take a nice healthy shit every morning, and enjoy having sex with my wife every night :mrgreen:
Not a 12 stepper

Postby Justjules13 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:26 am

Your my hero, Stepper!
I COULD NOT get below 10mg of meth, the bone and muscle pain was more than I could handle(no comfort meds) Hense the jump to Sub for almost a yr.
I'm two weeks clean from a little weekend slip on meth and just yesterday I told my BF that one of the pleasures of being clean was taking a "nice healthy shit!" instead of rabbit turds. And the sex is better too, but I'm too much of a lady to discuss that.. ;)
J
Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Victor Kiam
Pills and IV Morphine- 1985-1999
Methadone maintenance- 1999-May 23,2011 (140mg, tapering to 10 mg)
Suboxone-slow taper to zero, very minimal WD (jump date 12/9/14)
Justjules13

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:43 am

Good for you on the 2 weeks Jules-
Not a 12 stepper

Postby wastedtime » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:36 am

Hi Stepper,
That is amazing that you got off such a high dosage and a huge congrats for doing it so close to becoming a father.I bet that was one helluva good feeling!Hugs,Goldie
wastedtime

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:00 pm

Double post-
Last edited by Not a 12 stepper on Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Not a 12 stepper

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:05 pm

wastedtime wrote:Hi Stepper,
That is amazing that you got off such a high dosage and a huge congrats for doing it so close to becoming a father.I bet that was one helluva good feeling!Hugs,Goldie

Thanks Goldie-

My methadone used to come in the mail every month from the VA. I'd get it in 2 huge bottles. I always carried a fanny pack full of methadone everywhere I went.

The methadone was the most important thing in my life.
Now my 4 year old son is my life, and methadone is a distant memory (that I'll never forget)-

I'd take hand fulls of the little 10mg pills and would find a stray pill laying around here and there from time to time.

I was 40 years old when I found out I was going to be a father. And I knew I had to give it everything I had, to get off the methadone. I could never live with myself, if my baby ever got a hold of one of my pills...

Plus I had a new, very supportive and loving wife to treat me like a king, while I was sick-

She deserves all the credit for helping me get off methadone-
Not a 12 stepper

Postby Sub zero » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:48 pm

Good avatar BTW stepper. I love that twisted clown character in Devil's Rejects. I saw him in another cheesy movie called "Creature" and he played an incestuous Bayou redneck LoL.
Methadone free since 8/15/2010...Sub free since 9/28/10...Alcohol free since 10/4/16
Sub zero

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:03 am

Don't forget "House of 1000 Corpses" one of Captain Spaulding's best performances :twisted:
Not a 12 stepper

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Sat Sep 29, 2012 12:17 am

Sub zero wrote: I saw him in another cheesy movie called "Creature" and he played an incestuous Bayou redneck LoL.

Haven't seen that one... Thanks for the tip, I'm downloading it now :mrgreen:
Not a 12 stepper

Postby Sub zero » Sat Sep 29, 2012 11:23 am

Not a 12 stepper wrote:
Sub zero wrote: I saw him in another cheesy movie called "Creature" and he played an incestuous Bayou redneck LoL.

Haven't seen that one... Thanks for the tip, I'm downloading it now :mrgreen:

Well...I never meant to recommend it LoL...but I guess it's worth watching just because of the clown guy!!
Methadone free since 8/15/2010...Sub free since 9/28/10...Alcohol free since 10/4/16
Sub zero

Postby chrismillions24 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 3:04 am

Hi my name is Chrissy and I am new to this site.I guess I've been lerking for about 5days. You all make me want to get off of methadone. I go to the clinic 2x a week and I'm on 85mgs a day. Half the time I buy extra so i probably on most days take 130mgs so when I have only 85mgs I get anxiety. I'm just realizing how much I've been in denial about my drug use. Dont think im fucked up cause other people dont know.Feeling so depressed lately and reading all your posts makes me want to take that step and start to taper. I used to think I would stay on this forever but now I see I dont have to I just think I do. Any advice,I have a job and cant afford to not think straight. Maybe I will take a month off in the summer and quit cold turkey I dont know. Help?
chrismillions24

Postby emily » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:32 am

chrismillions24 wrote:Hi my name is Chrissy and I am new to this site.I guess I've been lerking for about 5days. You all make me want to get off of methadone. I go to the clinic 2x a week and I'm on 85mgs a day. Half the time I buy extra so i probably on most days take 130mgs so when I have only 85mgs I get anxiety. I'm just realizing how much I've been in denial about my drug use. Dont think im fucked up cause other people dont know.Feeling so depressed lately and reading all your posts makes me want to take that step and start to taper. I used to think I would stay on this forever but now I see I dont have to I just think I do. Any advice,I have a job and cant afford to not think straight. Maybe I will take a month off in the summer and quit cold turkey I dont know. Help?

Welcome to SubSux Chrissy...It may be a good idea to go to "crisis thread" & start a new thread of your own so more people will see your post. Just go to crisis & select "new topic" - you can even copy & paste this post into crisis thread.
I was in denial for a long time & than "shocked" that i was really addicted to pain meds which made me an addict!
Hope you continue to post. It is a great place for support
Em
emily

Postby chrismillions24 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:06 pm

thanks Em I will do that.
chrismillions24

Postby Mrblazed » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:12 pm

Steper your giving me lots of hope I can make it as well :) I will add though I only took methadone befor I was never addicted to it thank god...
Mrblazed

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:32 pm

Hey Mrblazed-

Hang in there.

The longer you stay off the drugs, the better you'll feel.

Your a youngster man... Get out there and enjoy your life. Try to stop stressing about drugs all the time, and they'll become less and less a part of your life.
Not a 12 stepper

Postby Unhookedfromsub » Mon Jan 14, 2013 6:37 am

Years ago I was titrated up to 100 mgs methadone and (4) 30mg roxicodone from the military docs(after two surgeries). I was on that for quite a few months then they dropped me cold. The doctors said I didn't need it anymore, you're a soldier tough it out I was told. So nonchalantly! It wasn't them going to go through it! That was the worst I have ever felt for like two months++! It made sub w/d's seem like a walk in the park. IT WAS HORRIBLE! That is when I started taking T3's about 8 months later and used them for two years then they made me go on subs and then on to retirement from the service eventually. Tapering would have been a novel idea if them fuck doctors knew anything!
Stopped taking the evil man-made drug called Subutex 9/17/2012

02/08/15 - 02/14/15 hopefully!
Unhookedfromsub

Postby Subhell » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:05 am

Them fkking bastard doctors did that to u...goes to show u that they don't know jack about addiction or they don't give a flying fkk...sorry I had to go through that...
Subhell

Return to Methadone Sux