trying to get off methadone

This fourm is for people struggling to get off methadone. If you are a methadone advocate then please PISS OFF!

trying to get off methadone

Postby warondrugsiswaronme » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:34 pm

:banghead: I have been on methadone for about 6 years and I'm finally down to the pre-detox dose 30mg as of 2 months ago. I am lost as to where to go from here. I feel like I've reached a dead end, as I cant' imagine going any lower than this. I am not in a program, I'm on street methadone. My insurance covers suboxone but.. there is a $450. fee for some dumb program that is required, which my insurance doesn't cover. I'm pretty sure I know what all my options are.. detox in a hospital, where i can't smoke weed when i'm sick and withdrawing.. where i'm not comfortable and honestly it's not happening. that isnt' even an option for me as far as i'm concerned. any suggestions? :banghead:
warondrugsiswaronme

Re: trying to get off methadone

Postby xenofears » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:36 pm

not a 12 stepper/mark - this is a friend of mine, give her some good advice please! She's on 30mg of methadone (over a month, and only from like 40mg or something like that,) and is in w/d most of the day anyway.
xenofears

Postby 620tcat » Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:48 pm

Not to thread jack but I forgot if Mark had a sticky at the old SS? I know know there was a detailed taper somewhere at the old place.

Hang in there War, I hope things start looking up for you soon. The common advice I have read is go real slow on the taper but I know nothing about done , tcat
620tcat
Executive Member

Postby xenofears » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:09 pm

Old site is rapidly disappearing from the search engine cache, I don't think I can get anything from it myself. If such a thread exists, ratch is the only one who can get at it.
xenofears

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:07 pm

warondrugsiswaronme,

Hello, and welcome to subsux.

I can help you taper your methadone dose, but it's going to take time.

If your street connection is solid, and you get the same type of methadone every time, I can walk you through what your gonna have to do, to keep the suffering to a minimum.

My first question, is about what type of methadone you've been getting. Liquid, or pills?

If it's pills, what type of pills are they? Do you always get the same type of pills?

The reason I ask, is because I've found that methadone varies a lot between manufacturers.

I'm glad you joined the forum, before you switched over to sub. Hopefully, you'll be able to taper off methadone, and won't ever have to battle with sub.

Just wondering if you have a shorter name, or nickname we can call you- :D

-mark
Not a 12 stepper

Highscores: 2

Postby beachnut » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:09 am

Welcome Warondrugs,

So excited for you... you have the offer of Man who did detox off Meth. Opiate free today to boot!

I do hope you stick around and take the offer to heart, listen and regain your life. I will be reading for your response to Not a 12 S. I never weaned off meth but was on it for a while, so I can not assist in the wean. I can support and wave you on to the new life that awaits.
WELCOME again,
Bonita
Watch your Thoughts, they become WORDS~Watch your Words, they become ACTIONS.
Watch your Actions, they become HABITS~Watch your Habits, they become CHARACTER.
Watch your Character, for it becomes your DESTINY.
beachnut

Postby So Cal » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:12 am

i dont usually advise one way or another,,but i would advise against the temptation to switch over to sub,,cause then your still in the same place as you started,,omly then you would have to deal with sub doctors who for the most ignorant species i know of,,prescribimg shit and have not a fuckin clue as to what it is,,except a money maker.
methadone was one of my doc's,,in pill form 10,mgs. I never understood why more people didnt feel the same as me about abusing it,,cause i got a great high that lasted much longer than all the other short acting opies.
i have never been able to do a detox at home where i could be more comfotable,,mostly,,no not mostly,,but harder cause wife and i were both in the same boat and could never feel the same way at the same time,,when she would be ready to quit,,i would be ready to score and vice versa.
i went into one program,,that gave no meds, and gave me a bed in a dark room,,so i couldnt even read to take my mind off the wd's,,then i thought like you and decided i could do this at home in front of my big screen,,i lasted the night and called the wife to come and get me and she scored the same day,,so alot of wasted effort,,well,,not wasted,,its never wasted when you have it in your mind to quit,,ya gotta have that first.
The only thing i could say is it would be of a huge help if someone could help by holding and giving you whatever amount your taper calls for.
Tattoo Tommy

oh yea,,if your scoring 10 mg pills and only taking three a day,,thats sayin ALOT!
So Cal
Local Fixture

Postby cheeps » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:39 pm

my taper was from only 50 to 10 and it wasn't long enough but I had been on meth for ten years.
I'm wondering what your timeframe has been if you are feeling w/d's on 30. many peeps can get to 10-15 before they feel real shitty. how much time have you put in between each drop?

don't fear detox, it isn'tdeath, it's very managable if you have some comfort meds and help. sara
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby Ruth » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:23 pm

I was on methadone (I assume you mean that and not meth as in what we used to call crystal back in olden days) for 8 years for chronic pain following an auto accident, then an OTJ injury. I was dumb about addictive drugs at the time. Originally my pain doc gave me oxycontin but there was such a stink about it that she moved to methadone.

I was on 80 mg for about 6 years when I began having issues with calcium depletion and decided to just quit taking it. Well that sure didn't work and I had no idea what was wrong with me. My pain doctor was not particularly supportive but did tell me I had to slowly titrate down. I went from 80 mg to 40 mg over 7 months then joined ODR and Arlene and Mark both helped me to slowly come down from that dose. It took me about 8 more months to come down by half or quarter of a 10 mg pill until finally I got to 5 mg, where I stayed for several months as I had a vacation planned and xeroxing in a 3 Rd world country didn't appeal.

My detox schedule is long lost, but generally it was decreasing every 10 or so days by a small amount. The first thing Arlene had me do, if I remember correctly was to quit taking my doses 3 times a day and move to am and pm, at exactly the same time. Then I would decrease my morning dose by a quarter or half but keep the evening dose so if I did start to withdraw it wouldn't be at night.

Honestly, there are times when it's freaking :cheers: hard to do, but you have to decide for yourself if this is what f you want from your life. If it is, you have to tough it out. Both mark and I were pain patients who got sucked into opiates and methadone is great for pain control. However you never really know what your actual pain is whilst on it. after xeroxing I discovered thar though I do have pain, it's sure not 80 mg of methadone worth of pain! Right not I control with aleve and occasionally vicodin.

When you get to 5 mg a day, you'll be measuring crumbs...and you will get there, but give yourself time to do it and stick to going down a small step at a time..some can do major big jumps, but I couldn't...you can always just try from where you are, but prepare yourself for a lot of misery...for me, slow and steady did the job. If you have some strong person in your life who can give you your daily doses, that can help a lot...though I didn't and came thru ok.

More later War....dinner time here at the hostel and if I don't get there I don't eat.

Good luck from an old fart...ruthie
Ruth

Postby 10lives » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:43 am

Last edited by 10lives on Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
10lives

Postby 10lives » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:56 am

Last edited by 10lives on Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
10lives

Postby warasmu » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:00 am

Deleted by doperdog
warasmu

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:49 am

10lives wrote: Then after dropping to 40mg's and weaning myself off the benzos too virtually nil,i decide just to jump ship.
Withdrawels?Everyone experiences symptoms differently but myself,all i had was i felt terribly hot at times.

:ogeez:
Not a 12 stepper

Postby xenofears » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:21 pm

Not a 12 stepper wrote:
10lives wrote: Then after dropping to 40mg's and weaning myself off the benzos too virtually nil,i decide just to jump ship.
Withdrawels?Everyone experiences symptoms differently but myself,all i had was i felt terribly hot at times.

:ogeez:

You must have been delusional Mark, it appears methadone isn't really addictive at all. :deadhorse:
Sub free 3 years. Klonopin free 1 year. 100% drug free. Feeling somewhat ok. :thumbup:
xenofears

Postby 10lives » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:40 am

Last edited by 10lives on Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
10lives

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:21 am

Hey 10lives...

When your ready to do a real life taper off methadone, come back, and we'll help you.

But if your content living in fantasy land, then go post at atwatchdog-
Not a 12 stepper

Postby xenofears » Wed Feb 23, 2011 9:25 am

It's amazing what people can get away with claiming and :deadhorse: on a message board. :ogeez:
Sub free 3 years. Klonopin free 1 year. 100% drug free. Feeling somewhat ok. :thumbup:
xenofears

Postby 10lives » Wed Feb 23, 2011 4:55 pm

Last edited by 10lives on Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
10lives

Postby 10lives » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:09 pm

Last edited by 10lives on Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
10lives

Postby xenofears » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:08 pm

I thought you were leaving?

So your advice is for her to jump off 40mgs? :ogeez:
xenofears

Next

Return to Methadone Sux