Before taking or stopping benzos, read this.

Feel free to read or create a new topic about benzodiazepine questions or detox. (*Note - Benzodiazepines are not opiates. They are Valium, Xanax, Klonopin, Ativan, and many more. Additionally, cessation of benzos without medical supervision can be very dangerous.)

Re: Before taking or stopping benzos, read this.

Postby celticpride4Life » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:35 pm

nvragain wrote:oh my god..i wont and cant read this (about benzo's) at this time as I am in the middle of suboxone withdrawal...and have a seat please.

I am prescribed 16mg. of xanax per day from one doctor. I myself have been cutting down on my own with some success but now that I am detoxing from suboxone I am taking my full dose if not more of xanax. oh my god....

i have a beautiful 15 yr old daughter. what a role model i am? sickening. however I got my 1st panic attack at 20 and i am now 50. 30 years of panic, gad, social phobia......I haven't been on benzos for 30 years but the last 4 years yes...on them every day. i'm scared. One THING AT A TIME, RIGHT??

"Role Model" has nothing to with it and you ARE NOT sickening. I suffer as well from extreme GAD which gets so bad it triggers depersonalization disorder...I did not ask for this mental illness and suffering! Despite my afflictions I am a loving father. I have 3 kids with the youngest (14 Yrs old) being the baby girl.

Do not be scared, one thing at a time. Do not even let the Benzo's enter your mind.

We will walk you through this and make it together.
celticpride4Life

Postby nvragain » Mon Aug 05, 2013 8:32 am

thank you Celtic Pride!! (I'm Irish myself!) You are right. I am so down on myself (which i usually am but going thru suboxone detox is making everything WORSE) and we do have a mental illness. I get that depersonalization thing too...its awful. I had it during this detox, but I couldn't remember the word for it. tried to explain to my husband, but he is so tired of me. no empathy at this point. You gave me the word,thanks. It is awful to experience panic attacks and gad the whole thing, I even had a counselor tell me I probably have PTSD. I have 3 siblings...1 sister and 2 brothers and we all get panic. It seems tho that the 2 oldest (me and my brother born right after me) get it the WORST....He was self-medicating with alcohol (which he fully admitted) I thought he was going to kill himself from the amount he drank but something clicked last year and he stopped. (was only in detox for 2 days..I don't know HOW he did not have a seizure)
Speaking of..I had a seizure while on xanax in 2005 didn't have enough was running low..horrible. I didn't say that to scare you..it just adds to my guilt of what my daughter and husband have been thru with me. (I was home when it happened, thank god) but my little angel was so scared.

Thank you again for your kind words. I know my dosage that i take of xanax is way too high. the psych. says he has one other person who takes almost as much as me (just 2 of us). I know I can take lower and I want to...but as you said do not let the benzo's enter my mind right now. thank you again. you are so kind. I can tell you are a loving father.
nvragain

Postby mano » Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:35 pm

This was a good read for me...I've dabbled with benzos for years, but never for more than a month or so at a time and never more than 2 mg a day and that was only while detoxing sub, usually 1 mg in the eve...but I can't risk it anymore, for various reasons. I always knew they were nasty, just didn't realize how much so.

Thanks for the good read xeno, and sorry you had to experience it!
mano
Local Fixture

Postby nvragain » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:08 am

I appreciate all the many many posts about the evils of benzo's....I have cut down on my own..with much success. However the real success came when I was totally off suboxone, I didn't even realize it at first, I was forgetting to take my xanax (I wasn't feeling my usual anxiety) and at the end of the day I realized I had taken only 4 mg. This has happened about 90% of the time...there were times when I had a very anxious day and I took a half of a 2 mg bar...(something I never did) I KNOW, I KNOW I have to watch that...I could get a seizure from such a drop in dosage. all too familiar with that....I did have a seizure back in 2005 b/c I ran low on xanax.

Panic attacks have held me back from better jobs, being afraid to take risks horrible social phobia...I have a bachelors degree and I am a secretary. what does that say? I know a lot of people that have no problems with panic and anxiety disorders have these issues also...however the panic attack people (I'll call us) really suffer. I had a sister who almost lost her job because she couldnt drive over a long bridge over the Hudson river to work. Awful.

Well, I was on too high a dose. I believe as does my psychiatrist that people that get panic attacks should always have xanax on them. But my dose was ridiculous. I find it very interesting after I got rid of the suboxone...my xanax usage when WAY down. I thing the makers of suboxone should be sued. I am meeting with a lawyer on a different medical issue (an injury) and I am going to ask about a class action lawsuit against suboxone. It is NOT for people who take vicoden and percocet. What a horrible withdrawal I had. I am still withdrawing...achy legs...this has been since July. 3 months later. and I am very depressed. Like I have NEVER been. it's the suboxone. I know it is. I really have great disdain for the company that makes it. Irresponsible..
nvragain

Postby StuckOnSub » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:59 pm

I was very skeptical of this information in the past. I did not see how it was possible for an acute withdrawal to last many months. I thought that maybe these people just had underlying issues covered up by the benzo use.
Well, I was definitely wrong! I have been in benzo w/d for 5+ months now and it has been hell! Reading that first post of this thread just now I am somewhat concerned that I am having that protracted withdrawal syndrome... While my withdrawal symptoms are definitely much better than they were the first 2 months, I still have quite a # of symptoms left that do not seem like they are going to go away any time soon. These buzzing/zapping headaches are absolutely driving me insane! The best way I can describe them is it is kind of a bit like that feeling you get if you hit your head really hard and start seeing stars - that buzzing/zapping/tingling feeling you get in your head. Something like that but much worse and it lasts like 12 hours every single f-ing day for almost 5 months straight. It was definitely worse the first couple months though because there were so many more symptoms on top of that.
But honestly, what can I really even do about this? I don't really see any options. My doctor is the one who had me go cold turkey and when I keep telling him at every visit that I am still having some pretty bad w/d symptoms he just kind of looks at me and tells me "well you really shouldn't still be having those symptoms after this amount of time" and that's about it. He also seemed concerned that I was taking so many ibuprofen and aspirin on a daily basis, but again did not offer any type of help etc. He did say that the cognitive impairments from the benzo w/d can last a year or more though. I don't know how I will survive that long. But I have made it over 5 months already so it's almost been half a year of this.
So what other choice do I really have but to just keep riding this out...? None that I see. Except searching for a dr that really knows their stuff when it comes to benzo w/d but that ain't gonna happen. I wouldn't even know where to start looking and My insurance doesn't give me too many options plus with still being on the Subs...
Anyway, I will survive. Just needed to vent.
Been on (and off) sub for just over 10 years. Clean as of August 10th 2014
Was on benzos for about 10 years. Went off cold turkey on Aug. 21st 2013.
Also, been clean from H (& other drugs) just over 3 years.

Everything I say on this site is just my opinion. I am no expert by any means (and I definitely don't mean to come off that way).
StuckOnSub

Postby nvragain » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:34 am

Your doc had you go off cold turkey. idiot!! (of the benzo's that is) what was your dosage, if you don't mind me asking? I have just one thing to say. I am on benzo's now but there was a time I was off of them for over a year. It wasn't easy. But it was A PIECE OF CAKE compared to going off of the poison aka suboxone. I got off the suboxone, felt like and looked to my family and friends like I was dying. My doctor was very concerned..he gave me tramadol and neurontin which helped. I had an injury in my neck and had to go back on vicoden. All is well, I tapered down, and am now taking a small amount of tramadol as needed. I also have decreased my benzo dosage by more than half...on my own. I could and would never be able to do that on the suboxone. ugh. No I never made it to the lawyer...but I have 2 names. I really think suboxone is a sham. I understand the concern over the benzo's but all if can say is if you (I don't mean you specifically, stuckonsub) have never had a panic attack, combined with GAD and social phobia...and PTSD you quite honestly would not understand - counseling did not help me at all as I did not find the right counselor (b/c I still believe that could help) but the benzo's have helped me to live a somewhat normal life. I am still a very hyper person but at least i can function.
nvragain

Postby StuckOnSub » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:36 pm

Ya I am on sub as well. I have been on it for 9+ years. It is definitely not easy to get off of! I don't have too much trouble tapering down on it though. Well, the w/d symptoms are troubling lol. What I mean is that I have never gotten any real enjoyment from Sub so I find it easy to not spike my dose and take extra etc. Like I don't take a sub to get any pleasure/enjoyment/buzz... I only take as little as possible to stay out of w/d. I am actually tapering the Sub right now. I am down to about 1mg per day. I have a very hard time dealing with the restlessness that accompanies oppie w/d. That and the panic that sets in when the w/d starts getting intense. And it is so easy to just take a little piece of sub to feel better... (With benzo w/d, there is no quick fix like that. It would take a week or 2 for the benzo to build back up in your system, once you are a ways into the w/d. So that made it easier to deal with from a mental standpoint).

The benzo w/d has been the worst thing I have ever been through in my life (as far as the length of time these symptoms gave lasted and the severity of certain symptoms). I was taking 4+mg of k-pin per day for many years. Actually I used to be on Ativan & Xanax and I had no trouble at all stopping them. But I never took them every single day for so many years straight like I did with the k-pin (and I had a big time tolerance to the k-pin so I would spike the dose etc). The only thing I can figure is that taking such a high mg for so many years straight is what caused this w/d. I also hear the benzo people talk about "kindling" - not sure if that had anything to do with it...from being on & off them in the past...? (I would skip days or weeks even...).
I was in Severe Acute benzo w/d for at least 2 months straight. It has now been over 5 months since I stopped and I Still have a very hard time functioning on many levels. I still can't drive a car yet, since this benzo w/d started (too many head/cognitive problems & dizziness, extreme headaches where I can't keep my eyes open etc etc etc). So many other symptoms too.

It is so hard to compare a sub w/d with benzo w/d though. They are so different... Both have their challenges!

Also, I know what you mean about the panic/anxiety disorders too. I have dealt with them my whole life. It is tough!
BUT, I will tell you, my anxiety is WAY WAY better now that I am off the benzos! It is like night and day! Benzos actually lower your body's ability to deal with every day stresses and anxieties. Over time it makes your body's response to anxiety much more severe, making the whole problem much much worse.

Since you mentioned an interest in therapy, I wanted to mention something that also helped me immensely -
It is called EMDR. It stands for Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprogramming. It sounds kind of silly, but I have only done 1 session and have not had aanic attack since... It is 100% natural. It works for all types of panic/anxiety and PTSD. I know people who have been raped or been through a war that did this therapy and have since recovered! It is well worth asking about!
Been on (and off) sub for just over 10 years. Clean as of August 10th 2014
Was on benzos for about 10 years. Went off cold turkey on Aug. 21st 2013.
Also, been clean from H (& other drugs) just over 3 years.

Everything I say on this site is just my opinion. I am no expert by any means (and I definitely don't mean to come off that way).
StuckOnSub

Previous

Return to Benzos Suck