Before taking or stopping benzos, read this.

Feel free to read or create a new topic about benzodiazepine questions or detox. (*Note - Benzodiazepines are not opiates. They are Valium, Xanax, Klonopin, Ativan, and many more. Additionally, cessation of benzos without medical supervision can be very dangerous.)

Before taking or stopping benzos, read this.

Postby xenofears » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:49 pm

Benzos are nasty stuff, and can suck just as bad or worse than Sub. The only way they really can be used effectively and without dangers is sporadically, i.e. for panic attacks or temporarily during withdrawal. I personally don't think they should be used for withdrawal at all unless doled out by a detox facility. I got on benzos 10 years ago to deal with opiate w/d and now I have a huge monster to deal with on my hands still.

So.. before you get on benzos, read this Wikipedia article on the Benzodiazepine Withdrawal Syndrome: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benzo_withdrawal .. if you fully read that article, I guarantee you that you won't ever seriously touch benzos, it's enough to scare anyone straight... and it's a neutral, sourced article!

Allow me to provide some exerpts.. (Note that when I say c/t (cold-turkey), rapidly dropping your dose is just as bad, even what might seem not too bad if it was an opiate, as is switching from a short-acting to long-acting benzo using the proper "equivalent" dosage but not realizing that dosage is only equivalent after the drug builds up in your system after several weeks!)

in severe cases provoke life threatening withdrawal symptoms such as seizures

I hope everyone considering or put into the situation of stopping benzos c/t is well aware of this. Benzo w/d, like alcohol and barbiturate withdrawal, can cause seizures, and a grand mal can kill you all by itself.

What you may not know is this:

A serious side effect of benzodiazepine withdrawal is suicide. ... Detoxification from benzodiazepines can be very problematic due to the extremely prolonged and severe withdrawal symptoms that it can provoke. This can lead to collapse of marriages, business failures, bankruptcy, committal to hospital and the most serious adverse effect which is suicide.

Yep. Suicidal ideation is a serious and common symptom of benzo withdrawal, and sucide from c/t benzos occurs IIRC as high as 8%.

Moving along..

Withdrawal symptoms may persist for weeks or months after cessation of benzodiazepines.

Yep, straight-up acute benzo withdrawal lasts for several weeks to several months, similar to Sub. But that's not even the bad part..

A protracted withdrawal syndrome may develop in a proportion of individuals with symptoms such as anxiety, irritability, insomnia and sensory disturbances. In a small number of people it can be severe and resemble serious psychiatric and medical conditions such as schizophrenia and seizure disorders. .. A small number of people withdrawing from benzodiazepines experience a severe protracted withdrawal syndrome which can include symptoms such as paresthesias, psychosis. These symptoms occur despite no pre-existing history of these symptoms.

Benzos are the only drugs I know of that have a medically recognized protracted withdrawal syndrome. That's right, withdrawals can continue -- or a new syndrome could begin months after stopping -- for many months to many years to outright indefinitely. The chances of this happening is anywhere from 5% to 20%, and your chances can be greatly reduced by not c/t'ing benzos!!

Let's move along from benzo withdrawal itself for a second..

Long term use of benzodiazepines may lead to withdrawal like symptoms emerging despite a constant therapeutic dose.

Tolerance withdrawal. It's a bitch. Use them long-term, and almost everyone universally experiences more withdrawal-like effects than agonist-(action) effects on a whole!

From the Long-Term use of Benzodiazepines (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_term_ ... diazepines) ..

There is evidence that reduction or withdrawal from benzodiazepines can lead to a reduction in anxiety symptoms.

That's right - they don't even work for what they're supposed to!

There are a number of side effects associated with addiction to benzodiazepines such as depression and flu like symptoms. Due to these increasing physical and mental symptoms from long-term use of benzodiazepines withdrawal from benzodiazepines is recommended for many long-term users.

Some of the symptoms which may occur as a result of long term use of benzodiazepines include emotional clouding, nausea, headaches, dizziness, irritability, lethargy, sleep problems, memory impairment, personality changes, aggression, depression, agoraphobia, anxiety and panic attacks, social deterioration as well as employment difficulties.

Sound fun?..

And now, the coup de grace -- a list of benzo withdrawal symptoms. And let me tell you, I have c/t'd benzos a few times, and have gotten virtually all of these symptoms to varying degrees.. except the life-threatening ones, I'm a lucky bastard.

* Anxiety, possible terror and panic attacks
* Agitation and restlessness
* Hypochondriasis
* Dilated pupils
* Impaired concentration
* Nightmares
* Insomnia
* Muscular spasms, cramps or fasciculations
* Electric shock sensations
* Blurred vision
* Dizziness
* Dry mouth
* Aches and pains
* Hearing impairment
* Taste and smell disturbances
* Chest pain
* Flu like symptoms
* Impaired memory and concentration
* Increased sensitivity to touch
* Increased sensitivity to sound
* Sounds louder than usual
* Objects moving
* Increased urinary frequency
* Numbness and tingling
* Hot and cold flushes
* Headache
* Rebound REM sleep
* Stiffness
* Fatigue and weakness
* Hyperosmia
* Restless legs syndrome
* Metallic taste
* Photophobia
* Paranoia
* Hypnagogia-hallucinations
* Nausea and vomiting
* Elevation in blood pressure
* Tachycardia
* Hypertension
* Postural hypotension
* Depression (can be severe), possible suicidal ideation
* Tremor
* Perspiration
* Loss of appetite and weight loss
* Dysphoria
* Depersonalization
* Derealisation (Feelings of unreality)
* Obsessive compulsive disorder
* Tinnitus
* Paraesthesia
* Visual disturbances
* Mood swings
* Indecision
* Gastrointestinal problems (Irritable bowel syndrome)

An abrupt or over-rapid discontinuation of benzodiazepines may result in a more serious and very unpleasant withdrawal syndrome that may additionally result in:

* Convulsions, which may result in death
* Catatonia, which may result in death
* Coma (rare)
* Suicide
* Attempted suicide
* Suicidal ideation
* Self harm
* Hyperthermia
* Delusions
* Homicide ideations
* Urges to shout, throw, break things or to harm someone
* Violence
* Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
* Organic brain syndrome
* Psychosis
* Confusion
* Mania
* Neuroleptic malignant syndrome like event (rare)
* Delirium tremens

Love how they end with the DT's. Now, if you'll excuse me, I must go take my Klonopin to avoid these symptoms.
xenofears

Re: Before taking or stopping benzos, read this.

Postby celticpride4Life » Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:14 pm

FUCK!
celticpride4Life

Postby stacy » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:24 am

That is one crazy post about benzos!! I was taking them the first few days off of sub and then stopped them. I do take them once in a while for panic attacks but nothing like weeks at a time or anything like that. But reading this is enough to make me not want to take them ever again. I have heard they are hell to come off of and thankfully I never got into taking them like that. I would definitely suggest to anyone who has been on benzos for a while to seek medical help while coming off of them since there will be professionals around to monitor vitals and give you some comfort meds for coming off of them.
stacy

Re: Before taking or stopping benzo's, read this.

Postby beachnut » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:29 am

Actually Stacy....

I sorta disagree seeking help from the Md's. They know so little about it. In rehabs (USA) they basically ct bz addicts..... VERY DANGEROUS. Pending on dose and length of time on them is how long it takes to get off of them. Some will slide by..Like Mimi, some wont. If you the unlucky who don't slide by.. could be life long problems that don't show up for months. I have come to the conclusion that for addiction.. today I pay attention to those who been there, done that and made it thru it.

The Damn doctors are a large culprit for many addiction today... way too many.
Watch your Thoughts, they become WORDS~Watch your Words, they become ACTIONS.
Watch your Actions, they become HABITS~Watch your Habits, they become CHARACTER.
Watch your Character, for it becomes your DESTINY.
beachnut

Postby xenofears » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:59 am

beachnut wrote:Actually Stacy....

I sorta disagree seeking help from the Md's. They know so little about it. In rehabs (USA) they basically ct bz addicts..... VERY DANGEROUS. Pending on dose and length of time on them is how long it takes to get off of them. Some will slide by..Like Mimi, some wont. If you the unlucky who don't slide by.. could be life long problems that don't show up for months. I have come to the conclusion that for addiction.. today I pay attention to those who been there, done that and made it thru it.

Since benzos produce life-threatening (and psychosis-inducing) w/d, almost all doctors are universally versed in not cutting you off, or it's malpractice. Unfortunately that's all they know. Luckily there are a handful of doctors out there who do know and publicize that knowledge, but even more so.. kinda like Sub.. the users/former users have formed together to create their own pool of knowledge.

The doctors are the idiots who prescribe the stuff, that doesn't even work long-term, in the first place. Fuck even in the literature for benzos the drug companies say they don't work long-term and not to prescribe them as such.

Like Beachnut said, BEWARE OF BENZO DETOX REHABS. What a lot of them do, is put you on phenobarbital for 2 weeks to prevent seizures, then send you home to hell. There is no fast or easy way off benzos, and no detox facility has some magic key to get you clean from benzos, it doesn't exist. Lots of drugs have been tried, none of them truly work.

Benzos were, at least recently, the most prescribed class of drugs in the world. Ridiculous.

The only medical use I see as acceptable is taken sporadically for panic attacks.
xenofears

Postby So Cal » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:32 am

Thats eaxactly what happened to me,,i went in paitient to get off xanax and they put me on phenobarbital,,which wsnt a big help,,just kept me outta siezures,,then my wife died while i was in there,,and i left,,(with a script of a bunch of pehno!,,),,glad to have it but of course i took em all to deaden the pain and made a big mess of things at home and funeral. I went on a rampage and did every kinda drug i could ,,then went back to detox and couldnt even hardly put a whole sentence together and the doc there put me on 4mgs of klonopin,,and been on em ever since,,14 months.and yea,,the tolerance is sky high!
TT
So Cal
Local Fixture

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:45 pm

I spent a few years on klonapin... Along with soma, and methadone.

My dose was also 4mg per day.

I failed a piss test for pot, and got booted from my pain doc, and had to find a methadone clinic. I switched from the 10mg Roxanne methadone pills to the methadose liquid, and went straight into nasty withdrawals. Tried the methadose pills, the 40mg wafers, and was still sicker than hell.

The new clinic didn't like the fast that I was on a high dose of klonapin, and said it was really dangerous to raise my methadone dose if I stayed on the klonapin. But I convinced the doc there that I had to have it to stay sane.

They finally started raising my dose enough to hold me. I forgot exactly how much I had to go up, but it was a lot.

After a couple of weeks, I got to where I was feeling good again, but I was nodding out, bouncing off the walls and shit. So I decided maybe the doctor was right. And started dropping my klonapin dose.

I didn't put a whole lot of thought into it, I just started taking less and less till I was off it.

When I dropped too fast, I would get electric shock feelings, twitching, and headaches. My eyes were really sensitive to light too, and vision was funky for a while.

When I jumped off, it really wasn't any worse than the end of my taper, cause I was feeling pretty miserable anyway.

I think the methadone masked a lot of the withdrawal symptoms of the klonapin though.

Crazy thing is, if I had read this thread before attempting the taper, I'd have talked myself out of even trying it.
:shrug:
Not a 12 stepper

Highscores: 2

Postby xenofears » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:41 pm

Yeah well, it's a fine line I guess between educating and scaring the crap out of people.. they do need to be aware of the life-threatening and psychosis-inducing (and suicidal ideation) withdrawal effects at the least. I have no problem scaring the crap out of people who are thinking of going on benzos in the first place. And keeping people from jumping c/t. I do NOT want to scare people into not getting off benzos at all, definitely not..

Would you have never gotten off of benzos Mark if you did read this, or would it have just taken longer? And yes, opiates mask benzo w/d symptoms quite a bit, but don't eliminate them -- nor prevent seizures -- actually they LOWER the seizure threshold.

If you do read the article, the overall message (along with the long-term benzo use one), is that despite the risks, it's still worth getting off benzos. You just gotta do it smart.
xenofears

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:42 pm

I agree, it's better to share information about what might happen during detox from certain drugs, than to keep it hidden.

But I also know when a person is anxious and feeling all the crazy symptoms associated with benzo withdrawal, it doesn't help to dwell on all the possible side effects.

Weather it's benzo's or opiates, the plan is a lot alike. When the drug quits working, and are causing more problems, then they are worth. A slow taper is the only smart way to detox.

But...

No taper is complete without taking the plunge and and suffering through some misery to get to the other side.
Not a 12 stepper

Highscores: 2

Postby stacy » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:58 pm

Xenofears,

I got prescribed valium for irritability and anxiousness because it was so bad I was lashing out at my family really bad and did not want to end up getting so bad that i hurt someone. Is it going to be ok to be one them for 2 weeks at 5mg like my dr, prescribed and he is a recovering addict himself. I just want to know from the people who really know about this stuff before i get myself into more trouble. I just got off sub and been clean for 3 weeks besides taking the valium. Any suggestions would be really appreciated because i know you guys know your shit!! :) :)
stacy

Postby mariposa » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:34 pm

beachnut wrote:Some will slide by..Like Mimi, some wont.

I seem to recall Mimi was on what's considered a small dose of benzos - relative to what a lot of people are on - and she still had a bitch of a time coming off, and it took her a long ass time.

Benzos scare the crap outta me! After what I've been thru with opiates, and the little experience I've had with benzos, I almost feel like benzo w/d would be even worse for me than dope w/d. I can deal with the physical shit, but the mental anguish / terror really fucks me up from opaite w/d, and it seems to be even more intense getting off the benzos.

My stupid shrink, when she has her prescription pad out, and is freely dispensing prescriptions, EVERY TIME is like 'I forget, are you on xanax? Do you need a refill?'

Um, NO. I don't take benzos. But the fact that she always asks like she's asking me if I want a cup of coffee leads me to believe she prescribes that stuff a LOT. And she's a really smart person. And well intentioned. I just don't get how doctors are so blind to this shit.

I posted this on the old benzo page, not to scare people from quitting (allegedly this guy is a lot better), but to show how fucking devastating long term benzo use can be:
mariposa

Postby xenofears » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:45 am

stacy wrote:Xenofears,

I got prescribed valium for irritability and anxiousness because it was so bad I was lashing out at my family really bad and did not want to end up getting so bad that i hurt someone. Is it going to be ok to be one them for 2 weeks at 5mg like my dr, prescribed and he is a recovering addict himself. I just want to know from the people who really know about this stuff before i get myself into more trouble. I just got off sub and been clean for 3 weeks besides taking the valium. Any suggestions would be really appreciated because i know you guys know your shit!! :) :)

Stacy didn't I respond in your own thread? If you can truly stick to only 2 weeks of 5mg Diazepam, you can stop them completely without any withdrawals, maybe a little rebound insomnia/anxiety. That's the hard part, stopping there. The underlying problem isn't going to go away and will only be back worse when you stop.
Sub free 3 years. Klonopin free 1 year. 100% drug free. Feeling somewhat ok. :thumbup:
xenofears

Postby stacy » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:04 pm

Yes you did respond to me for the valium post, but i was so bad that I thought I was going to go crazy and i wish there was something else out there that would help me to keep my cool and not lash out as bad as I was....especially at my 2 year old for doing stupid things that i shouldn't be screaming at her for. It made me feel so bad I needed something to keep me from doing that or something worse and i couldnt even stand my fiance....i just dont know what to do. it is really bothering me. Is there something else herbal or anything like that which could help me???
stacy

Postby csb » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:56 pm

Many years ago before I was addiction to opiates, I was addicted to benzo's. I snorted them everyday for 2 years. I moved out of state, so I could no longer score, so I reluctantly quit. The wd's weren't that bad. I did feel some discomfort and all, but it wasn't as intimidating as opiate wd's. I did convulse a bit though.

My dad on the other hand tried to take his life by eating all of his valium and hydrocodone. He had been on them for years, so it didn't phase him. He took around 100 valium, and he wouldn't tell me how many hydrocodone he took because he knew I was an addict. Anyways, he woke up the next day and was fine. But since he had taken all of his valium, he went into wd's, and then blew his brains out. So he's right there in that statistic. May God rest his soul.

So just because it didn't phase me much to get off of benzo's, doesn't mean it doesn't kill others.

But the weird thing is, is that when I got off of them, I never wanted to touch them again. And I would eventually turn them down all of the time, because I was disgusted with them, unless I mixed them with opiates on rare occassions. I hope I develop the same disgust toward opiates.
csb

Postby beachnut » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:34 am

My first detox and rehab... I was taken loads of bz's. Not that I knew it. This was before I went to college to get my degree...

I spent 3 weeks in the hospital to detox before rehab.. IT was horrible. They told me I had a bz addiction. I was never so sick. They d'c me after three weeks then to rehab.. I only lasted about a week then back in the hospital. I really don't have much memory of those weeks in the hospital but can tell you I NEVER touched a bz again..

I understand some do get by without problems.. might the second time also.. Them BAM...wd for months to yrs. I don't understand bz and what all it does to you... I don't try and help those wean from them over the net, I fear I may cause too much damage for life. Cant lay hands on them for assess and have to take their word for it they are doing as they say....I find the whole thing scary and just decided I am not qualified to help.
Watch your Thoughts, they become WORDS~Watch your Words, they become ACTIONS.
Watch your Actions, they become HABITS~Watch your Habits, they become CHARACTER.
Watch your Character, for it becomes your DESTINY.
beachnut

Postby PainPainGoAway » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:54 am

I know I'm on here a wee bit late (sorry about that), but I wanted to give my deepest condolences, to you all. It seems like getting off Benzos is NO EASY TASK! For as much good as it provides, it seems to provide for a lot of withdrawal.

My brother Jimmy was recently diagnosed with esophageal cancer and he's wanting to take something for the pain (before and following treatment). Judging by what I'm reading, he probably shouldn't be taking Benzos. Is there a type of cancer treatment that could prevent this type of widespread pain from occuring? I've heard that proton therapy is a more focused treatment that targets the AFFECTED area. Anyone know anything about it? Thanks, folks! If anyone has info, it's SUPER appreciated!!!
Last edited by PainPainGoAway on Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Desi
PainPainGoAway

Postby xenofears » Thu Sep 15, 2011 11:48 am

I don't know that anyone on this board knows much of anything about esophageal cancer... IDK could be wrong.. I have no idea why benzos would help with cancer pain, but I really know nothing on the subject.. I hope he feels better.
Sub free 3 years. Klonopin free 1 year. 100% drug free. Feeling somewhat ok. :thumbup:
xenofears

Postby ItsintheMail » Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:55 pm

FUCK ME. I am so glad that I am truly a junky. Meaning that when I was prescribed benzos..1mg xanax bid, I would take all 60 in a about a week. True, not too fucking smart...But if I had taken them as prescribed for years on end...This is what I would have to look forward too. The guy in the video is a true fucking champ. All I can say is, "Holy Shit!"
ItsintheMail

Postby SoCal » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:27 pm

xenofears wrote:
beachnut wrote:Actually Stacy....

Since benzos produce life-threatening (and psychosis-inducing) w/d, almost all doctors are universally versed in not cutting you off, or it's malpractice. Unfortunately that's all they know. Luckily there are a handful of doctors out there who do know and publicize that knowledge, but even more so.. kinda like Sub.. the users/former users have formed together to create their own pool of knowledge.

The doctors are the idiots who prescribe the stuff, that doesn't even work long-term, in the first place. Fuck even in the literature for benzos the drug companies say they don't work long-term and not to prescribe them as such.

Like Beachnut said, BEWARE OF BENZO DETOX REHABS. What a lot of them do, is put you on phenobarbital for 2 weeks to prevent seizures, then send you home to hell. There is no fast or easy way off benzos, and no detox facility has some magic key to get you clean from benzos, it doesn't exist. Lots of drugs have been tried, none of them truly work.

Benzos were, at least recently, the most prescribed class of drugs in the world. Ridiculous.

The only medical use I see as acceptable is taken sporadically for panic attacks.

that is exactly what happened to me,,pheno dont hardly take the edge off,,if your gonna go the detox route,,i think the only possible way it would work is long term,,but who can just drop their life and go away for about 9 months??,,I got 3 yrs of 4 mgs a day of klonopin to get off and my reg md is gonna try just tapering me off,,but for right now i ask to stay on them till i kick the sub,,i dont know if she wants to wait though,,she ask me last week if i was ready to start my taper,,like she had forgot the taper im doin on sub,,i dont know,,i guess i could do both if she takes it slow on the taper,,i just wanna wake up and not have to take a pill or always worryin about the doctor continuing to give them to me,,hell that alone keeps me stressed enough to need the damn klonopin!
\TT
SoCal

Postby nvragain » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:28 pm

oh my god..i wont and cant read this (about benzo's) at this time as I am in the middle of suboxone withdrawal...and have a seat please.

I am prescribed 16mg. of xanax per day from one doctor. I myself have been cutting down on my own with some success but now that I am detoxing from suboxone I am taking my full dose if not more of xanax. oh my god....

i have a beautiful 15 yr old daughter. what a role model i am? sickening. however I got my 1st panic attack at 20 and i am now 50. 30 years of panic, gad, social phobia......I haven't been on benzos for 30 years but the last 4 years yes...on them every day. i'm scared. One THING AT A TIME, RIGHT??
nvragain

Next

Return to Benzos Suck