Benzos for Sleep - Risk for Dependence/Withdrawals?

Feel free to read or create a new topic about benzodiazepine questions or detox. (*Note - Benzodiazepines are not opiates. They are Valium, Xanax, Klonopin, Ativan, and many more. Additionally, cessation of benzos without medical supervision can be very dangerous.)

Re: Benzos for Sleep - Risk for Dependence/Withdrawals?

Postby Poncho » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:42 pm

LilyAnn wrote:I know this is an old post, but the title of the thread is the exact question I'm wondering. I'm new to this forum (been in the subsux section) and am not sure if someone will see this. If not, I'll start a new thread. For the past year, I've been taking .5mg of xanax at night to sleep. I know it's not much, so I never thought it was a problem. After reading some of the info about benzos I got a little worried. I'm currently tapering down on subs and am really low (crumbs) and plan to keep tapering as much as I can. My question, though, is if I have to also worry about a xanax addiction. I have noticed the tolerance and in between doses of xan, I get really shaky inside and irritable. I haven't tried going without xan at night and am not sure what would happen. Would it be wise to taper sub and xan at the same time? Or should my xan intake not be a concern? Thanks for any tips, advice or knowledge!
LilyAnn

LillyAnn, I think most oldtimers here would agree you shouldn't try to jump off both at the same time. I know you haven't completely jumped off either yet but concentrate on getting off the Sub first, while not increasing your Xanax intake. One thing at a time...
Poncho

Postby cheeps » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:02 pm

Poncho's right Lily...don't freak out....just educate yourself and eventually you can make a decision on getting off the benzo. One of the w/d's you may experience is lack of sleep. I used a shitload of muscle relaxers instead of benzos during my detox and then tapered off those. Some people do well with trazadone or melatonin for sleep.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby LilyAnn » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:13 pm

Thanks, Poncho. That actually takes a load off knowing I should just focus on the sub. I just found this forum a few days ago and am still digesting all the info about sub and the utter ignorance I've had about my sub situation. I've been a bit on overload coming to grips with the situation I've gotten myself into. So I'm not going to worry about the xan right now and deal with one thing at a time.
LilyAnn

Postby LilyAnn » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:22 pm

Wow, Cheeps, that's funny because I WAS freaking out trying to wrap my brain around the xan AND sub. I've spent hours on this site reading everyone's experiences with sub, and I gotta tell ya, I was very naive about it before I found you guys. And then I read the benzo section and was like, "oh crap, not another crazy wd situation to deal with." But it sounds like I should deal with sub first, benzo later, so that's what I'm going to do and try not to worry about it. Thanks for the advice!
LilyAnn
LilyAnn

Postby SoCal » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:34 am

LilyAnn wrote:Thanks, Poncho. That actually takes a load off knowing I should just focus on the sub. I just found this forum a few days ago and am still digesting all the info about sub and the utter ignorance I've had about my sub situation. I've been a bit on overload coming to grips with the situation I've gotten myself into. So I'm not going to worry about the xan right now and deal with one thing at a time.

Yea,,i think most of us found out the realities of sub in one way or another a long time after bein on it, I got on it in 04,,and didnt even own or know how to operate a compoter,,then a year later my sis gave me a computer and then i read all this stuff and it scared the shit outta me!!,,I mean i had been goin for a year and didnt even know i was addicted to the stuff!,,So,,there's really nothing to say that will take your mind off the fear,,its just another phase of gettin on sub and gettin off.,,I figure about 3 phases we go through,,first we think we finally found what weve needed all our lives ,,and wanna scream from the roof tops how good sub is,,then you get to phase 2,,where you are now,,being afraid,,so it will take you alittle while of hearing us telling you not to be afraid and there are people here who have gotten off that will help you.,,One suggestion i have,,im sorry i dont know how long or how much your on,,but one good idea is to have a stash of sub put back for tapering,,just in case of emergency ,like sub doctor cuttin you off or cant afford it anymore,,whatever,,just so you know you have what you need to do a proper taper which you will learn here how to do.
As for benzo's,,well,,they are a bitch to get off!!,,i went in-paitient once and they gave me phenobarbital which didnt even phase the wd's and id bang my head on the wall till they gave me a shot with enough mgs to ease the wd's,,and now,,i have been on 4mgs of klonopin a day and im going to taper ofrf those and T5HAT SCARES THE SHIT OUTTA ME!,,but at least it makes the sub taper look easy to me in comparrison!
good luck
TT
SoCal

Postby LilyAnn » Sun Sep 16, 2012 10:54 pm

SoCal wrote:
LilyAnn wrote:Thanks, Poncho. That actually takes a load off knowing I should just focus on the sub. I just found this forum a few days ago and am still digesting all the info about sub and the utter ignorance I've had about my sub situation. I've been a bit on overload coming to grips with the situation I've gotten myself into. So I'm not going to worry about the xan right now and deal with one thing at a time.

Yea,,i think most of us found out the realities of sub in one way or another a long time after bein on it, I got on it in 04,,and didnt even own or know how to operate a compoter,,then a year later my sis gave me a computer and then i read all this stuff and it scared the shit outta me!!,,I mean i had been goin for a year and didnt even know i was addicted to the stuff!,,So,,there's really nothing to say that will take your mind off the fear,,its just another phase of gettin on sub and gettin off.,,I figure about 3 phases we go through,,first we think we finally found what weve needed all our lives ,,and wanna scream from the roof tops how good sub is,,then you get to phase 2,,where you are now,,being afraid,,so it will take you alittle while of hearing us telling you not to be afraid and there are people here who have gotten off that will help you.,,One suggestion i have,,im sorry i dont know how long or how much your on,,but one good idea is to have a stash of sub put back for tapering,,just in case of emergency ,like sub doctor cuttin you off or cant afford it anymore,,whatever,,just so you know you have what you need to do a proper taper which you will learn here how to do.
As for benzo's,,well,,they are a bitch to get off!!,,i went in-paitient once and they gave me phenobarbital which didnt even phase the wd's and id bang my head on the wall till they gave me a shot with enough mgs to ease the wd's,,and now,,i have been on 4mgs of klonopin a day and im going to taper ofrf those and T5HAT SCARES THE SHIT OUTTA ME!,,but at least it makes the sub taper look easy to me in comparrison!
good luck
TT

Yeah, TT, that pretty much sums it up... I'm definitely in the FEAR phase after realizing what a shithole I'm in with the sub. I'm literally scared outa my mind. My husband is also on sub, which makes the situation even more interesting. I'm down to about .75mg right now, from 16mg. I've been tapering for months before I found this site. I can't seem to get lower than 1mg or .75mg because I can't sustain it without spiking a little. After months of trying to get my mgs lower, I found this site and have been reading it like crazy. I quit sub once for 2 weeks and couldn't get off the couch...literally. I couldn't understand why I wasn't feeling any better after 2 weeks, so I went back to sub.

With your experience with benzos, can you tell me what I'm dealing with with a .5mg dose for about a year? I just want to know the truth... good or bad. I don't want to be in the dark anymore about any of this.

Thanks for your response!!
LilyAnn

Postby Mrblazed » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:43 pm

I you have been taking .5 of Xanax for a year you may be ok the a gain if you hav been taking .25 twice daily you could exprence wd be thankful your on a low ass dose when I quit Xanax after six month I was taking around 10mgs a day and didn't feel much but had really bad diahira never had it so bad in my life I ended up in the hospital which I felt much Bette opon leaving intill all the iv liquids they gave me came out threw my butt also it made sleeping suck for about a month after other then that wasn't so bad expect alot of rebound anxiety and panic attacks that I can pretty much promiss will happen don't be afraid of it jus prepare for it to happen. I wish you the best of luck I'm getting of e sub now I had two weeks messed up I have pretty much been of and on it for the last four months. Also I take libruim a old benzos (was the frst ever found) but I hvent been on it more ten two months so no wd as of yet aslo I don't take it eveyday only around 50% of the time
Mrblazed

Previous

Return to Benzos Suck