Hi everyone.. Please help

Feel free to read or create a new topic about benzodiazepine questions or detox. (*Note - Benzodiazepines are not opiates. They are Valium, Xanax, Klonopin, Ativan, and many more. Additionally, cessation of benzos without medical supervision can be very dangerous.)

Hi everyone.. Please help

Postby True85 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:54 pm

Hi everyone,

I hope y'all are doing great. I have been off sub since May 2012. Doing pretty good. Get some cravings sometimes for subs and opiates, but oh well I deal with them. But hey I am not here for that. I need some help from my experienced Benzo takers. My mom is in her second day of withdrawal right now from about 1 year 5mg a day Benzo habit. I feel so bad for her she is struggling. She went to her psychiatrist and he gave her some valium and some comfort meds, but she has never been through withdrawals before so I don't know what to tell her. I don't want to scare her back to taking them by telling her its too rough, but I want to let her know what she is in for. I hope she makes it. Damn I wish I could take the pain from her and handle this myself. Please someone any advice would be great.

Thanks
True85

Re: Hi everyone.. Please help

Postby cheeps » Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:00 pm

Tell her that your forum friend that is 57 yo says.....drink water, drink water.....take her comfort meds and treat herself gently......she does deserve loving care.

True.....I'm assuming the valium will help.....your mother is a tough cookie underneath....she WILL make it. You just be strong for her.....be confident. Tell her constantly that everything will be ok.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby True85 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:03 pm

Thanks so much for the reply Cheeps. I told my mom what you said and she said thank you also. She is on Day 4 and I think she is doing great she went to work yesterday and today. She keeps asking me when is this going to end and I don't know how to answer her because I don't know when it is going to end. This worries me because she may think the pain is unbearable and eventually go back. Boy I hope not. But she says she never even wants to look at pills again.
True85

Postby Justjules13 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 2:41 pm

Hi True,
Just give your mom lots of praise a few times a day. Tell her that she's strong and smart for doing what she's doing. The rebound anxiety coming off benzos sounds terrible...if all else fails, volunteer to give her a foot massage, it works for me:)
Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Victor Kiam
Pills and IV Morphine- 1985-1999
Methadone maintenance- 1999-May 23,2011 (140mg, tapering to 10 mg)
Suboxone-slow taper to zero, very minimal WD (jump date 12/9/14)
Justjules13

Postby StuckOnSub » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:55 pm

Is your mom taking those Valuim that were given to her? I hope not. Valium IS A Benzo! So if she is taking those, it means that she is not truly withdrawing from the benzos yet...

I was on benzos many years, and I went off them in the past without any trouble. Then this last time I was taking them for roughly 5-6 years straight (very high dose) and the w/d was a nightmare. It lasted for months on end.
Hopefully it will not last that long for your mom. Some people are better in as little as 2 weeks. Others it takes more like 2-3 months (or sometimes in rare cases longer).

It's hard to give advise because I do not know if she is truly benzo free yet. It all depends on if she is taking those Valium or not.
Personally, I think it is just better to stop taking them completely and get it over with. But some people can not handle that, so the have to taper. But in order to taper properly, you need a dr who will prescribe you benzos because a proper taper takes many months (look up Heather Ashton Manual if you need taper advise its the definitive benzo taper guide).
You may also want to check out a website called "BenzoBuddies.com" but honestly, I would not let your mother go on there because it is filled with horror stories and she doesn't need that crap in her head.

Also, know that benzo w/d tends to comes in waves. They call it waves (of bad) and windows (of good). It tends to be much more bad than good.

Unfortunately I don't know of much to help with benzo w/d. I took Aloe Vera juice to help my stomach because i had this horrible burning in m stomach and could hardly eat anything without it making things a million times worse. The aloe vera juice was a life saver. I also had to take ibuprofen (etc) around the clock for months because of the headaches.

I will try to check back in soon.
Been on (and off) sub for just over 10 years. Clean as of August 10th 2014
Was on benzos for about 10 years. Went off cold turkey on Aug. 21st 2013.
Also, been clean from H (& other drugs) just over 3 years.

Everything I say on this site is just my opinion. I am no expert by any means (and I definitely don't mean to come off that way).
StuckOnSub

Postby ellua » Sat Nov 01, 2014 7:49 pm

Stuck, im no expert but i am inferring from wording on the original post that the benzo of choice is something like xanax or similar where a 5mg dose wd would cause significant distress and put a person at risk for life threatening seizures.

Yes valium is a benzo too but its the preferred drug to taper with, slowly, as to minimize discomfort and seizure risk.

To say one should just 'tough out' a benzo wd or that some people just "can't handle that" is misinformed and can be very dangerous.
July 6, 2007: began sub maintenance @ 16mg
2008-2014: lost in the fog
August 8, 2014: last dose ever of subutex @ .5mg
ellua

Postby Justjules13 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 8:05 pm

Yes...I think I've heard that tapers are a MUST with benzos. Seizures are possible if you just jump. They use Valium to taper with because it has a longer half life, I think...
Victor Kiam
Justjules13

Postby StuckOnSub » Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:21 pm

Yeah, it depends on where she is at. If she was already a week+ in to the w/d (which is what i thiught), then the seizure risk is already over with. Also, I went cold turkey off a higher dose than that and did not have any seizures. But there definitely can be a seizure risk. I just didnt want her taking a random Valuim here or there, because she only got a few from her paychiatrist. Like I said in my other post, if you are going to taper correctly, it has to be done slowly. Taking a random Valium here or there will actually RAISE her risk of a seizure! That is how I had a seizure from benzos.

But, yes a benzo taper is done with Valium according to the Ashton Manual.
The people that I know who have tapered seemed to go through just as much hell as I did not tapering. Except their w/d was even longer and more drawn out than mine, of so it seemed from what they told me. They suffered thru a taper for 6-12 months and then still went thru benzo w/d at the end of the taper. Now, I'm sure it's not that way for everyone. I am sure tapering helps many people.
Last edited by StuckOnSub on Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Everything I say on this site is just my opinion. I am no expert by any means (and I definitely don't mean to come off that way).
StuckOnSub

Postby Justjules13 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 4:05 pm

Benzo WD is a WHOLE other beast. I thank god I never was attracted to them. (They just put me to sleep)
Victor Kiam
Justjules13

Postby StuckOnSub » Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:53 am

Hey True85 - how is your mom doing?

StuckOnSub

Postby OhmsLaw » Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:48 am

5mg a day..thats a pretty hefty dose for most..although she probably doesn't even feel much from them due to xanax's short half life..to give proper advice, we or at least i, would need more info..how many val's did the doc give her?? what milligram?? is he ready to write her more if needed?? 5mg a day is nothing to play with..trust me..i've had seizures in the past going cold turkey from xan's..when dealing with benzo's cold turkey really isn't the best way..its dangerous, plain and simple..some do get by without incident, true...but some do not..one grand mal seizure can kill a person..not trying to scare you but its just a fact.

I would also recommend visiting a forum called benzobuddies..read around there and educate yourself and your mom..that forum is dedicated to benzo issues.

I currently have a benzo addiction..some days i take less than 5 mg...some days i double that..i have found that when i switched to valium, things were alot smoother..i plan to get off these fuckers soon as well..and i plan on using valium to do it with..the times my supply of xans run low, after a couple of days i just can't function..i have a hard time forming sentences, crazy thoughts running thru my head..benzo withdrawal is hard to explain to someone that hasn't been thru it..i'd rather detox opiates any day than benzo's..its a monster not to be taken lightly.

Not trying to scare you or your mom, but sounds like she needs a solid plan in place..plans can always be altered down the road if need be..if you can fill us in with some more info we can give better advice for her.

Good luck and let us know how she is doing..you sound like you are doing all you can to help her morally.and she is gonna need that in the days, weeks, months to come.

Peace
Ohms
Sub free since 5-11-14 (daily use) I slipped up a few times :(
2/?/15 to 4/20/15 back to regular opiate use (whatever was around)
Your symptoms sounds just like what it does when it's not doing what it should because of how it is in the brain parts
OhmsLaw

Postby StuckOnSub » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:34 am

What are her w/d symptoms True 85? That would give us a good idea of how long this w/d may last. The fact that she was able to go to work makes me think that she isn't withdrawing all that badly. There was absolutely no way in hell I could have went to work. I could literally Barely even walk! For a month+ it was unreal...

Hey Ohms long time bud. Sorry to hear that you are still struggling with the benzo use.

StuckOnSub

Return to Benzos Suck