Cold Turkey off Benzo (Kpin) after about 10 yrs!

Feel free to read or create a new topic about benzodiazepine questions or detox. (*Note - Benzodiazepines are not opiates. They are Valium, Xanax, Klonopin, Ativan, and many more. Additionally, cessation of benzos without medical supervision can be very dangerous.)

Re: Cold Turkey off Benzo (Kpin) after about 10 yrs!

Postby CTCheryl » Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:12 pm

I've been off everything, I mean everything since Nov. 18th. It's only been a short time, but I can tell you, I've been on something for almost my entire adult life and I am getting up there. Let's put it this way, I remember Woodstock well.

When you are an addict, like I am, you can always find something. That's why it's got to be nothing at all. I went from weed, to speed, (remember little crossroads?) to pills, to sub, to benzo's then back to opies, to sub, to kratom and all during that time, booze in between or during. ALL of the detox's sukked ass. One was just as bad as another. Benzo's took forever, sub took forever and freaking kratom took forever....only now am I starting to see light and feel more aware after 2 months of nothing. I mean, really, only starting.

Who knows what's around the bend for me. I don't do the AA route, but I don't take anything. I can't. I will abuse it. I abused money, food, shopping and sex. Yep....had me some boy toys. Girls do it too. But you know, none of it lasted, and I hurt after. The hurt after is what I am dealing with now and the relationships I fucked up badly including my family. I've been around this forum for a long, long time and every newbie that posts here, helps me. So thank you, for posting this about benzo's....those were bad.

Just had to get this off my chest.
CTCheryl

Postby StuckOnSub » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:06 pm

I totally agree. ALL detoxes suck a**!
When we are in the middle of one, I think we tend to feel that (whatever it is), it is the most difficult detox there is...
They all have their challenges. I have been absolutely blown away by the length of time this benzo w/d is lasting. It was 5 months on Jan. 21st and I am nowhere even near feeling back to normal. (and I still have to finish kicking the subs...). I still think that the mental part of kicking opiates is more difficult. But the length of time this Acute benzo w/d has lasted blows acute opiate w/d out of the water. In a way, I am super glad that I did not know what I was in store for as far as this benzo w/d goes because I don't know that I would have been able to do it, if I knew what I was in store for...
I never knew that benzos could be so problematic! They have caused just as much (or possibly even more) damage as the damn oppies have.

I think what really f*cked me was being prescribed both the benzos & sub at the same time. They have done such a number on my mind and body and have left me debilitated.
I think it has something to do with the severity of damage that both drugs cause to different parts of my brain.
The oppies took out my serotonin receptors and the benzos took those GABA receptors.
I now see why doctors do not prescribe both drugs to the same person, and it has. Itching to do with death/OD. These drugs have left me barely able to function in any normal way.

I have a long ways to go as well. I am working at it every day. I can say this - even though getting off the benzos has been a nightmare, I am Super glad to be off them. It is hard to say that I feel better off them, only be ause of all these w/d symptoms. But I really do feel better in many ways since being off them. Especially my anxiety level! My anxiety now is 1000x better than it was when I was taking the k-pin. I find that kind of comical - that the anti-anxiety meds were actually causing sooo much of my anxiety! It is literally like a night & day difference. I was having panic attacks on a daily basis when on the k-pin. The first couple months off them, my anxiety level was sky high still. But now, I haven't had a panic attack in months. I find myself able to cope with stress so much better now too.
I was one of those people who thought that I'd never be able to live without my benzos for anxiety. Now there is no way in h*ll that I would ever want to go back on them... Life is much better without them!
Been on (and off) sub for just over 10 years. Clean as of August 10th 2014
Was on benzos for about 10 years. Went off cold turkey on Aug. 21st 2013.
Also, been clean from H (& other drugs) just over 3 years.

Everything I say on this site is just my opinion. I am no expert by any means (and I definitely don't mean to come off that way).
StuckOnSub

Postby Justjules13 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:38 pm

I'm really proud of you SOS. It's not easy to give up benzos...but they really do turn on you and make anxiety worse. I've never had a benzo dependency...opiates were bad enough!
Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Victor Kiam
Pills and IV Morphine- 1985-1999
Methadone maintenance- 1999-May 23,2011 (140mg, tapering to 10 mg)
Suboxone-slow taper to zero, very minimal WD (jump date 12/9/14)
Justjules13

Postby mynameisDAN82 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:03 pm

StuckOnSub wrote:I totally agree. ALL detoxes suck a**!
When we are in the middle of one, I think we tend to feel that (whatever it is), it is the most difficult detox there is...
They all have their challenges. I have been absolutely blown away by the length of time this benzo w/d is lasting. It was 5 months on Jan. 21st and I am nowhere even near feeling back to normal. (and I still have to finish kicking the subs...). I still think that the mental part of kicking opiates is more difficult. But the length of time this Acute benzo w/d has lasted blows acute opiate w/d out of the water. In a way, I am super glad that I did not know what I was in store for as far as this benzo w/d goes because I don't know that I would have been able to do it, if I knew what I was in store for...
I never knew that benzos could be so problematic! They have caused just as much (or possibly even more) damage as the damn oppies have.

I think what really f*cked me was being prescribed both the benzos & sub at the same time. They have done such a number on my mind and body and have left me debilitated.
I think it has something to do with the severity of damage that both drugs cause to different parts of my brain.
The oppies took out my serotonin receptors and the benzos took those GABA receptors.
I now see why doctors do not prescribe both drugs to the same person, and it has. Itching to do with death/OD. These drugs have left me barely able to function in any normal way.

I have a long ways to go as well. I am working at it every day. I can say this - even though getting off the benzos has been a nightmare, I am Super glad to be off them. It is hard to say that I feel better off them, only be ause of all these w/d symptoms. But I really do feel better in many ways since being off them. Especially my anxiety level! My anxiety now is 1000x better than it was when I was taking the k-pin. I find that kind of comical - that the anti-anxiety meds were actually causing sooo much of my anxiety! It is literally like a night & day difference. I was having panic attacks on a daily basis when on the k-pin. The first couple months off them, my anxiety level was sky high still. But now, I haven't had a panic attack in months. I find myself able to cope with stress so much better now too.
I was one of those people who thought that I'd never be able to live without my benzos for anxiety. Now there is no way in h*ll that I would ever want to go back on them... Life is much better without them!

Awesome post SOS!
Sub free since 10-20-2012
mynameisDAN82

Postby StuckOnSub » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:50 pm

So these headaches are Finally getting somewhat better. About damn time too! I still get them every single day. But that buzzing/electric shock feeling is much better. Almost gone actually. So that makes them easier to tolerate. I am really hopeful that within the next couple months they will be gone.
I definitely am feeling better though. I would say that I am finally through the acute phase of the w/d. I still have all the post-acute stuff to deal with (for wuite some time still im sure). But i just dont focus on it. it is much much easier to deal with than the acute phase was. i mean i am still nowhere near normal but thats ok i am getting there.
My head is beginning to feel much less cloudy too. I can think so much clearer. Not all the time, but at least I am not in a damn fog 24/7... I can't even begin to put into words what an absolute nightmare this whole thing has been. Definitely not something that I EVER want to go through again as long as I live! F the benzos!
I still have to finish detoxing off the sub. I am getting there. I am still at about 1mg/day. I will be off soon. I jus feel that it is best to give my body just a little bit more time to recover from this benzo w/d first. I just need to build up a bit more strength mentally first. I will be so damn glad when all of this stuff is just a bad memory!

Everything I say on this site is just my opinion. I am no expert by any means (and I definitely don't mean to come off that way).
StuckOnSub

Postby Justjules13 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:27 am

:thumbup: SOS! Glad to hear your benzo detox is getting a bit better. After this, sub should be a piece of cake to kick.(well.....easier than the benzos at least :P)
I'm super proud of you! You've come a long way...hope you give yourself tons of credit :thumbup: .
:kiss:
Victor Kiam
Justjules13

Postby StuckOnSub » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:47 pm

Thanks Jules!
I don't know how much credit I give myself. Not yet anyway. Once I kick the sub and am totally clean, then maybe ill give myself a little pat on the back. I am more mad at myself than anything. I can't believe I just blindly took these damn "medications" and got myself into this mess.

I am still absolutely blown away by how much damage the benzos caused me. Just reading through that new lady's thread in the crisis forum brought up so many memories of when I first signed up here in the summer. I didn't even think that the benzos were causing me any problems. Lol. Boy I don't think I could have been more wrong...
I remember I even thought that the Suboxone strips had stopped working. Thought they were causing me to be in withdrawal. I just didn't realize that I was right in the middle of benzo withdrawal (and I was expecting the Suboxone to take away those withdrawal symptoms, which is why I though it had stopped working... Obviously sub is not going to take away benzo w/d symptoms).

I hate benzos! And sub!
I think that I may just end up going cold turkey off this last 1mg of sub. I've tapered down so many times and a,ways end up struggling anyway, so I've just been gearing myself up to just stop the sub ct. So much of it seems to be mental anyway. So I'm just trying to get myself in the right frame of mind to battle the w/d once again. I am currently just kind if enjoying the fact that I don't feel like total crap for the first time since the end of last spring - i was in benzo w/d for like 10-11 months (from when i first drastically cut my dose, then went cold turkey a few months later). After almost an entire YEAR of 24/7 w/d, I am Finally not in daily w/d! I mean there are definitely still a whole lot of symptoms left, but they are definitely not what I would call "acute" w/d symptoms. They seem to match up more with the post acute symptoms. But that is ok because I know it is just my body healing itself, so in a way it's a good thing I guess... So now I am just preparing my mind to do this all over again with the sub. But I know that the acute w/d phase will not last anywhere near as long, so that helps... I know it's going to be hard, but I also know that I can do it. I just have to put my mind to it.

Thanks again for all your support!

StuckOnSub

Postby StuckOnSub » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:19 pm

Ok, so... Yesterday was the first day in over 6 straight months that I did Not have a headache! Yay! lol
I feel like throwing a damn party!

StuckOnSub

Postby StuckOnSub » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:34 pm

So, I just figured I'd update this again. I know there really isn't any activity in this forum, but I am always reading these stories in the online forums and there are so many that do not have endings. You read these persona, stories and they just leave you hanging... Lol.

Anyway, I am feeling much better finally. I have only had those "benzo" headaches a couple of times total in the last few weeks now. Which, compared to having them every single day, has been f'n amazing!

Boy ill tell you guys something - it is absolutely amazing to just feel somewhat comfortable in my own body again. I was sick for so damn long. And my head was so f***ing messed up it was un friggin real!
Just the shear length of time I was in withdrawal... The first 2 months were just full blown acute w/d. I literally could barely even WALK for about the first 30 days or more. The 3rd month was still pretty damn bad. But I finally started to notice that I was at least starting to feel a tiny bit better. 4th month was similar. So was the 5th... I think it was somewhere during month 6 that my head FINALLY was not spinning in circles 24/7. I wasn't so dizzy all day anymore. Then this 7th month I have really noticed that I am feeling better, which makes me realize even more just how crappy I had been feeling...
I still have a long ways to go yet.

Anyway, that was just a very short summary. I actually have a journal that I wrote some stuff in, as far as like a list of all my w/d symptoms and stuff like that. Maybe I will post it sometime... I don't know.
I am starting to be able to think more clearly again. My mind is still definitely somewhat "foggy" though. At times I get like very confused and have all this trouble trying to think things through. It strange. But then there are other times where I feel like i am thinking so much more clearly. Like all the fog lifts for a moment and its just amazing...lol.

To be perfectly clear - I am almost positive that almost all my trouble was with going off cold turkey. I think if I would have tapered, it still would have probably sucked but nowhere near like what I went through. And I don't think it would have lasted as long either. The reason I say this is because if you are reading this and scared of getting off, just taper and you'll be fine. Please don't let my posts deter you in any way from getting off! That is the last thing I want from these posts...
But, I am still VERY happy to be off! Getting off the benzos was one of the best decisions I have Ever made! Life is already so so much better without them and I am Just starting to recover from the w/d, so it's only going to get better from here.

One of the scariest things about benzos is the effects they have in the mind/brain. There were Soooo many just crazy side effects from taking those things. I have trouble even putting this into words right now. I don't really know how to explain it at this moment. They just leave you so full of anxiety and scared almost... They can just leave you a quivering mess (and that is while you are still taking them!). They can cause agoraphobia (where you don't want to leave the house. And it's not a fear of leaving, it's just that you don't really feel any "need" to leave the house). They just stole my love and joy of/from life. The sub and the other opiates definitely made it worse. But benzos, once my body was truly dependent, are the most damaging drug I have ever experienced... (and this is a drug I Never bought on the street. Always legally prescribed. Just goes to show...).
I can see it so clearly in the people's posts who come here - the people who are on both sub and benzos...

Whatever the reason you are taking benzos (daily, or for extended periods of time) I can almost promise you that you don't Need them. I always thought that I "needed" them to live. Because of my anxiety and the panic attacks. I really thought that I couldn't live without them. But in reality, (and I know I've said this a number of times now) use of benzos (esp daily) actually INCREASES your anxiety. They lower your body's ability to deal with every day anxieties that everyone faces. And it takes the body longer to recover from events that cause anxiety. The crazy part is how I thought the benzos were helping my anxiety and panic attacks.
Now that I have been off them a while, my anxiety has almost Disappeared! I have not had ANY panic attacks in many months too! Benzos were absolutely the cause. I just didn't realize it a the time.
I can 100% guarantee that if you get off the daily use of benzos, your life will be better. Whether you believe that or not is up to you... (And I know some people really do consider them "medicine". But reality is that they just make things worse, once your body becomes dependent on them).

StuckOnSub

Postby Justjules13 » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:18 pm

Hi SOS,
I've thankful never liked benzos...they just made me sleep...no fun there!
But I was just reading a paper about rebound anxiety from benzos. It stated that it's a failure as a medication for the exact reasons you said. They stop working and your anxiety actually increases on them...but by that time your physically addicted and can't stop taking them. This paper goes on to say if they knew decades ago what they did now they would be off the market, but SO many people are so severely addicted that they can't even talk about that...plus of corse big pharma denies it and fights against it.
I just thank my lucky stars I was never interested in benzos.
Hurray for you! I'm so glad your feeling better. I know benzo WD is worse than opies....yikes!
Keep up the good work!
Victor Kiam
Justjules13

Postby StuckOnSub » Sat Apr 05, 2014 12:44 pm

Thank Jules. I'd love to read that paper sometime if you come across it again... I absolutely believe every word of that, because I have lived it. I feel so bad for the people who are still on them and feel they Need them, just as I did. You have to go through soo much to get off too. There are people who just refuse to even attempt to get off because of the w/d (and that's no way to live life, on a horrible medicine just because of w/d's). No decent and knowledgeable doctor will prescribe benzos daily. The problem is there are soo many doctors who are not decent and/or knowledgable...

Btw, I started my sub taper again. I am currently at 1mg and am having some trouble. I hate these damn sub strips. It is like sometimes they help the w/d and other times they just seem to make it worse. Some people were saying that the dose is not evenly divided across the sub strip (and I read that on reckitt site too). So what I figure is, sinc I split the strips up so small, that sometimes I get a piece that has a better dose of sub on it and other times I get a piece that doesn't have much sub at all (and maybe has more naloxone because there are certain times where it has really made me feel like all nervous and shaky. It's very strange...). But I am pushing through. I will cut my dose again in just a few more days...

StuckOnSub

Postby Justjules13 » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:58 pm

Good for you! Can you get the 2mg pills? I used those to taper and it was fairly easy. I never felt like the dose varied..
Victor Kiam
Justjules13

Postby StuckOnSub » Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:11 pm

No, not from my doctor anyway... The way they run the sub clinic here, everyone has to take the strips. And we have to save every package from each individual strip and turn in all the empties at every visit. Not exactly sure of the reason. Maybe so people don't sell them? (It's not like you just couldn't take it out of the damn package though...).
But I do have some of the 2mg pills laying around. Well, not laying around, they are locked up. I was thinking the same thing though, switching back to those to finish my taper.

StuckOnSub

Postby StuckOnSub » Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:47 pm

Thanks Melissa! I am actually much much better now! Month 7 has been the real turning point for me. Those zaps were horrible! I feel for you. It wasn't even just the zaps for me. I had those pretty much 24/7 for many months. But I would get these absolutely horrible headaches and those zaps would ramp up even stronger. It was like the worst migraine I've ever had times 1000, plus the worst ice cream headache/brain freeze with those zaps all rolled up into one! And I got them every day for about 10-12 hours each day... For roughly 6 straight months...

Also, it is Definitely much easier to taper the sub now. As opposed to this past summer when my body was thrown all out of whack when I first dropped my benzo dose. I mean, it's still plenty tough now. But nothing like it was last summer...

I think it's a very smart idea to taper the Xanax! Cold turkey was not fun. It was just more the shear length of time it lasted than anything else. But I think you avoid a lot of that with a taper.

Also, the reason people switch to Valium is due to the long half life. I guess it makes tapering easier. But I wonder if it actually extends the length of the w/d? I don't know. I never switched over either. I just went straight off the Kpin without much of any taper. The key seems to be to taper slowly. But honestly I am just glad to be off.
I can't even begin to tell you all the strange side effects those damn things caused me.

Here, give this a read sometime - http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index ... ic=66397.0

It explains what is happening in our brains as we detox benzos. It gave me a lot of comfort and made me feel much less like I was going crazy/losing my mind...

StuckOnSub

Postby ExitWounds » Sun Apr 06, 2014 2:26 pm

SOS, I have a story kinda like yours, zanies used to be everywhere and made sub detox impossible for me, my brain was screaming. Like you, I quit subs after Benz and today I'm 100 percent after 18-24 months of anxiety, mad anxiety, my brain threw a tantrum for so long, I thought it was the new normal. Today about 2 yrs out from Benz I can tell you I never ever needed that poison and I don't miss it, those things didn't even have any upside beyond so so euphoria. Good luck man
Because easy has no meaning.
ExitWounds

Postby StuckOnSub » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:24 pm

Yeah, there was quite a while where I felt like I was Never going to get better! I honestly did not even think that a w/d could last that long!
But it is absolutely amazing what out bodies/brains are capable of.

And as for that site - some stuff was really helpful. Other stuff just made my anxiety worse at the time. Like reading about people who have been suffering for a year, or 18 months!
There were also times during my w/d when I would read stuff on that site and I swear my w/d symptoms would like ramp up 10x! It goes to show how damn powerful out minds are. Needless to say I stopped reading that site for a while... lol.

StuckOnSub

Postby StuckOnSub » Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:12 am

I know I have said this before, but I think that benzos should be taken off the market! Or only used in hospital settings. Or at the very most only given to someone for a few months At The Very Most. Once our body's become dependent on them, they create way way way more problems than anything else. They actually create the anxiety that they are supposed to treat!
It just makes me so mad. I thought for Years that I Needed the benzos for my panic attacks and anxiety. Come to find out that the damn benzos were actually creating the panic attacks and anxiety! I mean, I had panic attacks before I went on the benzos. And they did help for a while. But then as I became dependent and had to start upping my dose of benzos, my anxiety slowly got worse until I was a mess... But I just never thought at the time that the benzos were the problem. It is a vivacious circle!

StuckOnSub

Postby Justjules13 » Fri Jun 06, 2014 11:55 am

Hey SOS, could you put a tag line (go to settings) and post your jump date from Sub and your current taper info for the benzos?
I'm having a hard time remembering who's who....
Your off sub, right?
Victor Kiam
Justjules13

Postby StuckOnSub » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:02 pm

No Jules, I wish!

I am off the benzos. It has been a little over 9 months since I went ct off the Kpin.

I am currently taking .5mg of sub a day and that is it. I am planning on being off pretty soon here. Just 1 more cut and then jump. Feeling a bit stuck again at the moment, but I know I will push through it soon enough. I stopped seeing my sub doctor so either 1 of 2 things will happen - 1) I will make the cut to .25 soon and then jump. Or 2) I will run out of sub before I make the cut to .25, and end up just going off the .5mgs. One way or another I will be off soon... Oh and yeah I'll make a tag line (just for you! lol) :-)

StuckOnSub

Postby Justjules13 » Sun Jun 08, 2014 6:29 am

Oh yes...I remember taking about the benzo first/sub first detox..
I jumped from .25 and .5mg and really didn't notice much difference.
How music sub do you have left? Do you feel stable on .5mg?
Victor Kiam
Justjules13

PreviousNext

Return to Benzos Suck