Cold Turkey off Benzo (Kpin) after about 10 yrs!

Feel free to read or create a new topic about benzodiazepine questions or detox. (*Note - Benzodiazepines are not opiates. They are Valium, Xanax, Klonopin, Ativan, and many more. Additionally, cessation of benzos without medical supervision can be very dangerous.)

Cold Turkey off Benzo (Kpin) after about 10 yrs!

Postby StuckOnSub » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:01 am

Hey all. I have been on one form or another of benzo's for over a decade.
Currently, I have been taking 4mg a day of Klonopin for the past 5-6 years or so.

Today is day 2 cold turkey. My doctor gave me the choice of weaning down slowly on the Kpin over the next couple/few months, then he said he'd switch me to Valium and finish tapering me off of that (the Ashton Manual method).
He also gave me the choice of stopping cold turkey (and he said "going through 3 months of hell"). So I chose to go cold turkey!

I have had a seizure once in the past from stopping this med. But, my doctor gave me phenobarbital (twice a day) for 2 weeks, to prevent me from having a seizure. I took 1 pill mid-day yesterday and it kinda made me feel all "out of it" all day, so I never took the second dose.
I have yet to take one today either. I am only going to take 1/2 a pill today. I don't really even want to take them at all again, it i also do not want to have a seizure, so....

Anyway, day 2 and I am feeling fine! I have pretty high anxiety, but that is obviously to be expected. The Kpin really didn't work to help my anxiety anymore anyway.

Definitely glad to be off this friggin med though! I have already noticed my mental clarity getting better!
Been on (and off) sub for just over 10 years. Clean as of August 10th 2014
Was on benzos for about 10 years. Went off cold turkey on Aug. 21st 2013.
Also, been clean from H (& other drugs) just over 3 years.

Everything I say on this site is just my opinion. I am no expert by any means (and I definitely don't mean to come off that way).
StuckOnSub

Re: Cold Turkey off Benzo (Kpin) after about 10 yrs!

Postby KickinSubParLife » Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:29 pm

Hello, this is my first post here. I wanted to check in with you and see how your withdrawal from Kpins is coming? Ijust kicked suboxone (day 7 today!) but now have a valium addiction that I am planning on kicking also.

I have tried kicking suboxone four times before, and have never made it past 7 days, so while not out of the woods completely, I am past the worst.

I have never tried kicking Valium though, been on 5mg for 2 years, planning on going cold turkey like you did, and hope to hear how things are going for you. What type of symptoms are you experiencing? Hope you are staying strong, and thank you for posting here.
KickinSubParLife

Postby StuckOnSub » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:34 pm

Hey there Kickin. Congrats on 7 days off the Sub! That is great!

Just to clear up my first post a little bit - I did Not go cold turkey off of 4mg/day. I had been taking 4mg/day for the past 5-6 years. Roughly 3-4 months ago I started to wean myself down. First I dropped from 4mg/day to about 2mg/day. Then about a month ago (or maybe 2 months) I dropped my dose again, from 2mg/day down to about 1mg/day - depending on the day. Some days I took less than 1mg/day, other days I took closer to 2mg/day. I never truly balanced out on the lower dose....

Now, I am at day 12 of my cold turkey. Actually doing quite a bit better. I really didn't start the w/d's until the end of day 2. Days 3 - 8 were pretty crappy. Around day 8 or 9 it started to ease up some. Yesterday (day 11) was probably my best day yet. So far, today has been ok.... Not great, but definitely better.

As far as the w/d symptoms - what I noticed the most during the first week was my head. I was very disoriented. Very dizzy (I think the phenobarbital was making this worse). It has almost felt like when you get too drunk and the room starts spinning.... My eyes have also been very sensitive to light and movement. I've had a hard time watching tv or going on the computer.
I have also had just a general feeling of uncomfort. (Somewhat similar to opiate w/d, though not as bad). It is amazing how much we take feeling "normal" for granted! LoL.
My stomach has been pretty messed up too. At first it was more stomach cramping and feeling nauseous.
Over the past 2-3 days, I have noticed the "benzo belly" coming back. It happened when I dropped from 4mg/day to 2mg/day (about 4 months ago), and had finally just recently began to subside....
It is just this bloated feeling. The amount of bloating & pressure in my stomach is Extremely uncomfortable. No matter what I do I can not get the bloating/pressure to go away. I feel like i swallowed a basketball! lol. I honestly can't even put into words how uncomfortable this is.
Aloe Vera Juice has been a HUGE Help! If you get this symptom, I can not recommend Aloe Vera Juice highly enough! It is the one thing that has helped my stomach.
There has also been a number of other varied symptoms. Lots of muscle soreness and cramping, things like that. Lots of weird stuff too (I'm not going to try and list it all), but for example like having to urinate every hour on the hour some days. Sorry if that's too much information haha.
Lots of anxiety too. I am having to learn to deal with my anxiety attacks & shortness of breath in other ways - breathing exercises have helped, as well as distracting myself. Nothing beats a good distraction!

For me, it has comes in waves. At first, I just felt like crap all day. By the 5th day maybe, I started to notice that I would feel fine for a while, then feel like total crap again. But the waves of good continue to get longer and longer. It makes it much more bearable to know that when you are feeling like total crap that it is just a matter of time before another wave of good comes.

Kickin - if you can get through the Suboxone w/d, you can definitely do this! I personally think that Sub w/d is worse. I have a very hard time dealing with that restlessness from the opiate w/d. And while there has been some restlessness with this benzo w/d, it has been nowhere near as bad as what I feel from Sub w/d. Again, everyone is different though.

I'll tell you, I never noticed just how much those benzos dulled my mind! I still feel pretty disoriented, but I have these little periods of mental clarity that feel great! Kind of like my mind coming back to life....

Please talk to your doctor before going cold turkey off benzos! Benzo w/d is similar to alcohol w/d, as both can cause life threatening seizures in some people if stopped too rapidly from a high dose. My doctor put me on phenobarbital for this reason. I also had to see him on day 7 of my cold turkey, to make sure that I was doing ok.
So, please just be careful.

Everything I say on this site is just my opinion. I am no expert by any means (and I definitely don't mean to come off that way).
StuckOnSub

Postby StuckOnSub » Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:49 pm

Day 13 since I stopped the Kpin. Still not feeling all that well. I still think that I am doing better than last week though. This is definitely quite a bit harder than I thought it would be. I have stopped them in the past and never really went thru anything lik this....

Today has been a bit discouraging, as i am not really feeling any better than yesterday. Maybe even worse actually. But if the last wave of good lasted almost an entire day, it may just be the cycle that benzo w/d causes - meaning that if i felt good for almost a whole day, that this current wave of bad may very well last an entire day too. but that means that the next wave of good could last even longer... The waves of good have definitely seemed to be coming more frequent than the first week & 1/2.
There have definitely been moments where I have just wanted to give up. But I have been able to fight thru it. From what I have read, it seems that tapering over a long period of time is really not much better. Maybe the symptoms are not as intense, but at this point I'd much rather be counting the days I have been clean - as opposed to counting the days until my next drop in dose (if I was doing a taper).

My headaches have been coming and going - it is not really a headache though. Not sure exactly how to describe it. It's like a cross between a migraine and an ice cream headache. Or like someone is ringing a friggin gong inside my head. (This could possibly be what some people describe as electric zaps...?). Definitely one of the worst w/d symptoms I have had from this benzo w/d.
It doesn't help that my ears are ringing like crazy either. And certain sounds just CUT thru my body! Ugh. Like the clicking sound my keyboard is making as I type is really getting to me right now....

Lots of confusion today as well (so I apologize if this post is not very well written lol).

Been quite restless too. I have been having some cravings for benzos today. This is only the 2nd day that has happened, and that could be what is causing this restlessness.

I also did some reading up on benzo w/d today. I'm thinking that was a BIG mistake!! Because I have definitely felt worse ever since I did that reading. It's amazing how powerful our minds are!

Anyway, I am hanging in there. As bad as parts of this have been, I am very glad that I have almost 13 days of this behind me. I don't want to turn back now, that is for sure!

StuckOnSub

Postby StuckOnSub » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:33 pm

Day 14. Started to feel quite a bit better last night. Kind of a restless night's sleep, but So far today has been going pretty well. Hopefully it stays this way!

StuckOnSub

Postby Justjules13 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:44 pm

Glad your feeling better. I haven't kept up too much, cuz I have no experience with Benzos...but it sounds as if your doing well. Keep it up!
Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Victor Kiam
Pills and IV Morphine- 1985-1999
Methadone maintenance- 1999-May 23,2011 (140mg, tapering to 10 mg)
Suboxone-slow taper to zero, very minimal WD (jump date 12/9/14)
Justjules13

Postby StuckOnSub » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:17 pm

Thanks Jules! You have been great ever since I signed up at this board! It means a lot.
I know there are entire forums out there for benzo w/d. But I have been avoiding them. There are people on those forums who say that they have been in benzo w/d for over a year!! But, I truly believe that a lot could be in the mind. I don't need a bunch of people telling me that I will be feeling like this for a very long time, because #1 - I don't think that it is true. #2 - I'm sure if I focus on it as much as these people do, I could probably Make myself feel like crap. If you focus on anything long enough.... ya know? I mean, I am sure that Some of these people really are in a protracted w/d. But, when you are dealing with a w/d from a medication that you took to stop panic attacks & anxiety disorders, focusing on and reading a whole bunch of negative crap IS NOT going to help! LoL. You have to feed the mind good things if you want good things in return. If you sit and feed it fear (and horror stories) all day long, it is pretty obvious what the outcome is going to be.

Day 15! I am definitely still getting hit by the w/d, but I am getting there. It is much more manageable. Today was a good day!
The last couple nights I have been getting some pretty bad headaches. Today I took 6 ibuprofen thru-out the day. Took then 1 at a time, spaced out thru the day. I won't go above 6 in 24hrs. Yesterday I took them 2-3 at a time, so when the night time rolled around I was unable to take any more. It really seemed to help spacing them out today.
I have been drinking Aloe Vera juice at least 2x a day too. That has Really really helped my stomach out. It is amazing how well it has been working for me!
I also started taking Ginger Root yesterday morning too (for the nausea & spins). It has to be taken for a couple/few days before it really starts to work - but today I didn't have much of any dizziness. Not sure if it was the Ginger Root that helped or if I am finally just getting better. Either way, it ain't gonna hurt to keep taking it.

Once I get through the w/d, I may try to document this a bit better (if anyone wants the information that is). A lot of these w/d symptoms (eyes & head mainly) have made it very hard to be on the computer for more than a couple minutes at a time.

StuckOnSub

Postby Justjules13 » Thu Sep 05, 2013 6:18 am

If your into cooking at all...ginger drink is super easy to make and really yummy. Just grate raw ginger, a big hunk, into a pan of water, boil, strain and add sugar or sweetnlow. My husband loves it.
It really sucks going thru WD and people avoid it forever...but after a few weeks your free. Someone said they were saying so busy that they didn't have time to "check their symptoms", that's a good way to say it. Just don't check them..lol
Your doing fantastic.
Victor Kiam
Justjules13

Postby StuckOnSub » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:12 am

Well... Day 33 and I am still not through this w/d. It is not a constant all day thing, but I still haven't had one whole day where I feel "normal". Still getting dizzy every day (although it does not last the entire day anymore, thankfully). The pressure & bloating comes and goes. Some days I will literally be 15lbs heavier because all of the f'n bloating. My whole body looks swollen some days and other days I will look normal. Lots of head symptoms too. Those stupid "zaps" are getting to me. Oh, and the headaches seem to come every night too. Those can be pretty bad. Some restlessness as well (which i have a hard time dealing with. same as oppie w/d, but not as bad...). Lots of varied symptoms. I'm not going to list them all. Just too many...
But it is definitely better than the first couple weeks. Days 3-10/12 sucked! Much more than I expected. Actually, this entire thing has sucked. But there's no turning back now. These friggin benzos have done much more damage than I ever realized! What a horrible drug!! Never again!
Some things that have helped me - Ginger root (for the dizziness. You have to take it a few days straight for it to be effective). Aloe Vera (for the GI issues. Works amazing for heart burn etc) and Ibuprofen for the headaches (I take one at a time, spaced out every few hours throughout the day (up to 6x200mg total)). Oh, and a natural diuretic like cranberry juice seems to help some with the bloating ("benzo belly". Which is Horrible!!).

StuckOnSub

Postby Vitek » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:21 pm

Hey, I'm glad to hear you decided to stop and hopefully it stuck. If there's a monkey you don't want on your back it's benzos. It's not the physical but the mental I've heard horror stories about. Worst case scenario friend: taper down if c/t didn't work. Let us know how you're doing now. I've had to wrestle this once before and failed, the next time it was a piece of cake. The only difference is that the second time, I was addicted to heroin and waiting to get into a methadone clinic. They REFUSED to take me because I was prescribed Kpins & xanax, so I stopped c/t. I didn't know until later that it was a very foolish idea; however, I made it out unscathed w/o w/d. GO figure.

Let me add though, I didn't take them as prescribed, ever. I think this was the best thing I ever did for myself because I'd have weeks without them.
Vitek
30 y/o MAN! - 1983[/i]
Opiates: 2005-2008 & 2011-2012* (6 months worth before return to clinic)
Methadone: 2008-2011 & 2013-10/20/13 | Suboxone: 10/23/13-1/27/14
Bleeding - Pain is a god's reward | Gliding through these dungeons
Heightened senses overwhelmed | Hedonistic rupture | Endurance makes one divine
Vitek

Postby StuckOnSub » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:42 pm

I am doing ok. Like I posted earlier today here, I went cold turkey back around mid August. I did not take any in over 4+ months. But I ended up taking .5mg yesterday and 1mg today. I just could not deal with the buzzing/zapping headaches. I had then every single day for 141 straight days. Hard to handle...
But it seems like taking that 1 & 1/2 pills has broken the cycle of headaches. I don't know...

Either way, I will not be taking any more. I have come way too far to turn back now. It was actually at the suggestion of a close family member that I even took them. They had seen me suffering every day since August, did some research online and said that they thought I should try taking just a small dose. It has definitely given me some much needed relief!
I only have just a few pills left anyway and I do not have any access to them. A family member has them locked up somewhere. Could I possibly end up using the last 2-3 pills in an emergency? Maybe. But I really hope that the need does not arise.

One of these days I will list all the symptoms I had (and still have) during this process. It has been a nightmare!

I was on benzos for many years. I went off them plenty of times in the last too, without any w/d. But, in the past I never really took them every day. I would take them here and there as needed, or sometimes I would end up going thru them all in a mater of weeks and then I'd just wait till I got another refill. Never had any problems. I was on them for a couple weeks then off for a couple weeks. Or I would take them every few days. But never had any trouble stopping. No w/d.
Then one day I had this seizure outside of my drs office on the sidewalk of a busy city. After that day, my dr wanted me to take the k-pin on a daily basis. So I did. For many years I took 4mg a day (or more sometimes...).

Then I drastically cut my dose at the beginning of summer. I went from 4+mg a day down to 1&1/2 mg a day. I was also tapering down on Sub at the same time, so at the time I just thought everything I was going through was Sub w/d. I stopped lowering my sub dose, but still was in w/d for months! It was not until later that I would figure out that it was benzo w/d...

So, now I am off the benzos and have started tapering the Sub again. I am at 1mg per day (or just under 1mg) and am having a hard time making any more cuts at the moment. But I have been having a big flare up of the benzo w/d symptoms just recently so I think that is why.
It is so so strange how these symptoms come and go. But I guess that is a normal part of benzo w/d. I also can not believe how long this w/d is lasting. It is definitely no where near as bad as the first couple months were, but still, this is just ridiculous!

I will never go back to taking these evil little pills again. I feel so damn guilty about "slipping up" these past 2 days. I just reached a breaking point though. I just couldn't stand that feeling any longer... I just hope that it wasn't a set back or anything. I hope the w/d doesn't end up coming back with a vengeance... Oh we'll, whatever happens, I will survive and make it through. I have no other choice lol.

StuckOnSub

Postby Vitek » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:55 pm

Honestly, that's the attitude you need. "Oh well, whatever happens, I will survive and make it through." Some many perceive the first part as a bad attitude or apathy. But when coming off drugs, as long as you're looking in the right direction - that's all that matters. Every step closer to sobriety gets easier with time. The fact that you're almost done suboxone is humongous. Some days will be harder than others; but, it could be much worse... :)
Vitek
30 y/o MAN! - 1983[/i]
Vitek

Postby StuckOnSub » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:17 pm

Oh, it could definitely be worse! I was tapering both the sub & k-pin at the same time this last summer and it was definitely much worse than doing them one at a time. I think that making it this long off the benzos has really helped my attitude and confidence. I can't even tell you what a nightmare this benzo w/d has been. I am not trying to scare anyone that is thinking of getting off the benzos. I was taking a very high dose daily for years. I never had these problems in the past when I came off them. I don't know why this time was so much different - like i said, maybe the years of daily use (as opposed to more sporadic use in the past, I'd skip days and/or weeks etc).
I just started keeping a journal of some of these symptoms I am still having, so I can share it here. My brain still feels so scrambled when I try to share my thoughts. I have a hard time explaining this whole w/d process.
But I would definitely say that even now, with this flare up of w/d symptoms lately, I still feel better than while I was on the k-pin. I feel so much more alive and I have these great moments of clarity where all the symptoms seem to lift for a short time and I can think so clearly and just feel so good in general. Plus my anxiety level is soo much better now that I'm off the anti-anxiety meds. I find that kind of amusing...lol. I never knew that regular use of benzos actually reduced your body's ability to cope with every day anxiety etc. and here I thought all this time that I couldn't live without the anti-anxiety meds because of how bad my anxiety had gotten. Never thought that the anti-anxiety meds were what was causing all the problems. My dr told me that the k-pin was my problem right before I went off cold turkey. I didn't really believe him 100% at the time, but now that I have lived it, he was definitely right.
I still hate that I ended up taking that 1.5mg of k-pin tue&wed. But, at least kit took those horrible headaches away for the time being. I had some pretty significant rebound anxiety today, and I know it was caused by taking those k-pin the other day. I haven't had that type of anxiety (attack) in months now. I will be so happy when my body recovers from this a bit more (especially the headaches!). I will have to go through Sub w/d coming up pretty soon here, but that is a whole new set of symptoms...

StuckOnSub

Postby Vitek » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:06 am

I know exactly what you mean with regard to 'anxiety' being easier to deal with day to day without benzos. It does the job at first, but only at first -- then comes tolerance. It turns into a crutch every time. I know I didn't need them and still wanted to take something. They did the job at first. If there's anything as debilitating as methadone use and w/d, it's benzos -- for me anyway.

I do hope you get through the headaches. I have no idea what kind of pain that is. Have you had this issue before benzo use?
Vitek
30 y/o MAN! - 1983[/i]
Vitek

Postby StuckOnSub » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:33 am

No. Never had any issues with headaches before. They started very shortly after stopping the benzos. Thanks for your concern!
I totally agree about the benzos being debilitating too! I was starting to get agoraphobia from the daily benzo use (another strange side effect that benzos can cause...). I didn't even realize it was agoraphobia. I always thought that meant you were afraid to leave the house. But it actually doesn't mean that. It just means that you don't really see any need to leave the house. Or have any real desire to leave...

I don't know if it was all from the benzos, I tend to think it was more a combination of the benzos and the Sub. I was prescribed both by the same doctor for many many years.
It has left me a mess. But I am working every day at digging myself out of this mess.

StuckOnSub

Postby StuckOnSub » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:36 pm

Well, I figured that was too good to be true... Those headaches started coming back about 2 days ago, but not too bad. Today I have that stupid buzzing/zapping feeling in my head pretty bad again. I cannot believe that it has lasted this long. It has been 5+ months of this! It is getting very hard to tolerate any longer. I mean I have no other choice but to tolerate it, but I at least wanted to come on here and complain about it lol. There is no damn way that I would go back to taking the benzos again. I know this is caused by the benzo w/d because it started within a few days of stopping the k-pin and I have Never had this buzzing/zapping feeling any other time in my life, so...
5+ months of this is just unreal though.

StuckOnSub

Postby Vitek » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:51 pm

Damn man.... I really feel for you.

Have you talked to a doctor about it? There's got to be SOMETHING that can help you. I'm not usually optimistic but I'm hoping for you man.
Vitek
30 y/o MAN! - 1983[/i]
Vitek

Postby Justjules13 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:17 am

Hi SOS, that seems to be the norm for benzo WD. I think Thirdeye had it too...
It goes away...but takes a long time. Does anything help it? Scalp massages? Trying meditating (some great videos on utube) I know flashing lights and loud noise can trigger it...but will soft music help?
I really feel for you..
Victor Kiam
Justjules13

Postby StuckOnSub » Sat Jan 18, 2014 1:26 pm

Thanks guys! Appreciate it.

Yes I have talked to my doctor about it. He really didnt offer Any help. I see him again this coming Friday and am going to talk to him again about it.
I a, going to ask about that gabapentin JJ. That was a good idea you had. I have also read that gabapentin can help certain people who were taken off the benzos too quickly.

I have tried pretty much everything I can think of. (Over-the -counter meds, heat, ice packs, massage).

StuckOnSub

Postby StuckOnSub » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:20 pm

Well, I seem my doctor this past Friday. He is an addiction specialist. We had quite a long talk about benzos & sub.

He reassured me that I will eventually heal from this benzo w/d... But he said that with cases like mine, this withdrawal process will last around 1 YEAR!!
He also said that he is very proud of me and the way I've handled all of this and said that kicking benzos is the hardest thing he faces as an addiction doctor.
It made me feel a bit better about this whole process... (But still offered no help for my headaches! I guess there's not much he can do).

My headaches have been a bit better these last couple days too. It seems like light is a big trigger for them. Like, I can't be in a well lit room for more than 10-15 mins or it causes a severe headache. Same with using the computer - something about the brightly lit computer screen...
I've been avoiding these things the last few days and it really seems to have helped. Good thing too, cause I really don't know how much longer I could have handled those headaches...
Gotta go now, I can feel my head starting to buzz & throb.

Btw - I am still at 1mg/day of Sub. I had to put a hold on the taper when all these benzo w/d symptoms flared back up. If all continues to go well the next day or 2, I will start tapering again this week. I can't wait till all of this is justvthisnonce a bad memory...

StuckOnSub

Next

Return to Benzos Suck