advice on getting off Ativan

Feel free to read or create a new topic about benzodiazepine questions or detox. (*Note - Benzodiazepines are not opiates. They are Valium, Xanax, Klonopin, Ativan, and many more. Additionally, cessation of benzos without medical supervision can be very dangerous.)

advice on getting off Ativan

Postby Subhell » Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:28 pm

I've been prescribed 2mg Ativan Since the beginning of September. The reason I got on it is because my withdrawl from subutex was hellacious and caused two auto-immune diseases from the prolonged stress`` and i wouldn't wish it upon my worst enemy...I've been cutting back but it seems like if I don't take it for a day or two I feel horrible. Any Advice....Should I wean down like 1 3/4 a day for a week... 1 1/2 for a week and so on down to 0... or change to valium and cut back from 10mg 1 week to 9 down to .....any advice...

Those little devils are quite poisonous....They worked well in the beginning for sleep and severe anxiety...but now they still help but not quite as much..

ANYONE WHO'S TAKEN THESE LET ME KNOW FOR ADVICE...
Subhell

Re: advice on getting off Ativan

Postby cheeps » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:27 am

I have heard or seen somewhere on here about switching to the V's and tapering. Just go slow and get the hell off. As my african gray sez....."BAD SHIT"!
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby Subhell » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:27 am

Thanks....I hope the psychiatrist will prescribe me the valuim instead of the ativan...and maybe I can try that stepdown method....God I hate what drugs did to me, its sad...
Subhell

Postby CTCheryl » Thu Nov 15, 2012 11:09 am

The Valium will help you wean off the Ativan, that's what was given to me in rehab to come off. Just try and keep an eye on your blood pressure, I think mine kept bottoming out if I remember. Is it possible for you to go in patient just to detox at all?? It's the seizures, I worry about.
CTCheryl

Postby Subhell » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:23 pm

Believe me I wish I could. I don't have insurance and I just went through hell for 6 months because I was injecting 8-12mg of subutex for 18 months. 2mg 4-6x per day. And when I stopped in may and tried to go back to taking them sublingually I felt like my brain melted. Like my pitituatary gland was being held hostage. My addiction tricked me bad. I saw this chart that said IV'ing .4mg of sub is like taking 10mg of oral methadone. So I was basically on about a 250mg dose of methadone those 18 months. And I could totally believe it because when I stopped and tried to eat 16 mg it couldn't come close to holding me. Unfortunately I found out to late that I needed 32mg, 1 8mg 4x a day just like I was shooting them. Because shooting 2nd is like eating 8mg and when u eat 8mg there Is only 30% bioavailability. And some other bullcrap w/ only so much being metabolized on the first pass through the liver if u do it under the tongue. So my body never quite took to it and I ended up in a crisis center with vitiligo and alopecia areata. My thick head of hair is now see thru and thin like a 70 year olds. Because of the damage and prolonged chronic stress I put my body under. My body still has wierd tics and flops like a fish sometime in bed. So I got off the subs and am weaning down from a 60mg methadone taper. I stand no chance against another cold trkey bup w/d...mentally it was just such a mindfkk...if u take it the right way it's easy to get down to 2nd or less. But because of abusing it I could never get below 12mg orally w/o feeling like total death. And even on 12mg I felt horrible. It just wasn't the same . And it makes sense, IV'ing a drug to now letting it dissolve through your mucous membranes...there's just nO comparison. I still have a long road but I'm feeling way better and more productive and I'm at a stable dose or 60mg...I figure I'll jump 10% every 10-14 days and try to get off w/in 6 months. I've detoxed 7 times off of subs and w/each time it got worse. I know methadone wont be a walk in the park but it's keeping my chronic pain at bay and I'm finally functioning again. Bladder, sleep, eating like a normal person again. No amount of sub made me feel good anymore. If I can find a job w/insurance I will rake the opportunity of going into a safe medical detox. I'll keep u posted. I may jump cold turkey after 1 month of done at 50 because the subs would be out...idk. It sux being stuck in the grip of maintenance drugs.
Subhell

Postby TwinCitiesHardcore » Thu Nov 15, 2012 6:01 pm

Just FYI: the most often used titration benzo, at this time, in most hospital facilities is actually Klonopin. I'd ask your Dr. which might be a better option to taper with.
TwinCitiesHardcore

Postby Subhell » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:03 pm

Thank u guys....It's only 2mg...but when i don't take it i feel extremely sick...i don't know...I'm gonna try and ask my dr for klonopin or valium...can u compare the two benzos...like 1mg of atavan would be comparable to 5mg valium or .5mg of klonopin...Ive never had a benzo habit but Ill tell ya this atavan really makes me feel like complete shit if I don't take it....sweats, horrible dreams,....right now im taking about 1.5 mg. and none at night cause i dont want to get in the habit of taking a narcotic to sleep again....so starting monday...I'll try 1.25 mg for the week then down to 1mg for the next week...so then by new years ill be ready to go without...if this doesn't work I'll ask for klonopin or valium...Or just ask my doctor first....Although he might not believe me that I"m feeling withdrawal symptoms from it bcuz its only been 4 months on it....But I am....But once Again thank u guys for your input, I appreciate it..damn drugs....wish i never polluted my brain...people dont realize how lucky they are that never put drugs in their bodies...my body and brain has taken a thorough beating.. I'm surprised I'm still fairly intelligent...
Subhell

Postby cheeps » Thu Nov 15, 2012 10:12 pm

Not to scare you but you should look in the benzo subforum and read Xenofears thread. He had a huge rpoblem with benzos...an extreme case but worth reading about.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby xenofears » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:39 pm

DO NOT read my thread. :lol:

The Valium substitute and very slow taper method can be easily found heavily elucidated if you google the Ashton Manual. You want to take it slow and easy, then that is what you want, all the info you could want and more.
Sub free 3 years. Klonopin free 1 year. 100% drug free. Feeling somewhat ok. :thumbup:
xenofears

Postby 620tcat » Tue Nov 20, 2012 10:40 pm

xenofears wrote:DO NOT read my thread. :lol:

The Valium substitute and very slow taper method can be easily found heavily elucidated if you google the Ashton Manual. You want to take it slow and easy, then that is what you want, all the info you could want and more.

I second this post. The Ashton manual has every conversion chart there is IIRC. Benzos are too dangerous to take lightly. One site I used was benzo island ? and benzo buddies. http://www.benzobuddies.org/
I think benzo island is shut down , the other one has some really caring people that posted . I am just not qualified to offer help with a taper plan but I feel your pain. Be careful and take it slow , you can do it.
620tcat
Executive Member

Postby Subhell » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:32 pm

To all that responded thank u and hope u had a great holiday. As of right now I have switched to klonopin...I am prescribed 2mg but really only take .5mg at nite...anyways, xenofear it's too late I read your thread about beckitt awhile ago...and I'm right with u on the subs...they are a disaster...as of November 9, I got off the subutex and went to methadone...obviously this isn't the long term answer but i have felt slightly better and I am currently dropping 5mg a week now...I stablelized on 70mg and am now at 60 and dropping..& although I probably need more I finally found out what my problem has been....I had my testosterone and other hormones checked and they are crushed to say the least....testosterone 180 LH <1 and prolactin was like 60...I have to get an MRI just to rule out a brain tumor on my pituitary gland.....I have other shit going on too....damn subutex/suboxone...and I have chronic pain and addiction so I take some responsibility for shooting that garbage....but believe me, I have paid a heavy price for it....and it's going to be my catalyst for getting off all drugs within the next 3 months....I have made progress...I no longer put needles of bup in my arm...just shaking that took 1/2 the hair off my head no bs....I have been going back to NA meetings and have somehow found a spirit again...I still have to force myself to get out but once I'm out its okay....I have lots of comfort meds for the taper and for the final jump...I'm hoping the dumb dr at the clinic will split my dose when I get to 30 but if she doesn't she doesn't...I refuse to drive to that hell hole while clucking/detoxing....so I'm hoping to at least get to between 10-15 mg before jumping....nothing could ever be worse than iv bup w/d as I've went thru alot before and never suffered so many symptoms and for soooo long....I will remain as positive as I can be and know a better future is around the corner....after all I wanted to die all summer and left my house maybe a total of 5x...now I'm pretty much livin a Normal life again...I have never done methadone so I'm hoping and praying that since its my first time and it'll only be 5 months that it won't be that bad....I can endure alot....insomnia and lethargy have always been my 2 worst w/d symptoms...sorry this is so long and maybe I should have posted it in response to my iv sub post but oh well.... 60mg m'done and dropping and .5 mg klonopin stable...everyone wish me luck and pray for me....ill keep u posted as this will be a formidable opponent.....
Subhell

Postby Subhell » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:38 pm

I'm staying away from all benzo w/d posts...I don't wanna scare myself...I've never abused them and I don't take alot at all....I will taper very slowly after I start eating & sleeping from this methadone taper and w/d....and basically I'm diagnosed w/OPIAD....opiate induced androgen deficiency....you'll never realize how important your testosterone is until it crashes 300 points or whatever in a few months time...sure I could go the easy route and get prescribed testosterone--but then ill have to be on that for life and I'm not even in my 30's..I want my body and mind to work w/no drugs and my doctors say I'm young enough to where my hormones will return to normal if I get off the opiate merry go round....if u r on subs or methadone and ur tired all the time, have no libido and sleep disturbances no doubt get your hormones checked...i read 25% of maintenance opiate users have this problem, just prob not to my extent cause of the IV BUP BS....
Subhell

Postby Eyeronic » Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:50 am

Don't worry too much about the ativan. It won't be super pleasant, but 2 mg Ativan is only 1 mg xanax (as I'm sure you already know). Many people don't even report any physical withdrawal till 3+ months after starting benzos.

.5 kpin at night, you should be able to go to .25 with no problem. I just did the exact same thing (well I went from 15 mg temazepam to .5 kpin for a couple days and then 3 days of 3/4 of the .5 pill and now I'm at .25) and didn't notice much if any discomfort. Plus, halfing your dose will do well to assuage your fears.

Do not worry. You shouldn't have it too bad. Since its only been 4 months for you, I'd finish my taper ASAP and use any remaining benzos you have PRN. It always made me feel better to have one or two around in case PTSD rears its ugly head.
Eyeronic

Postby Subhell » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:51 pm

Thank you for the advice..I'm actually sleeping well now...I couldn't sleep more than 2 hours straight w/o having to get up and pee since may...so that is a welcomed change..and that's what I plan on doing just slowly tapering off like u mentioned after I kick this damn methadone...my counselor keeps trying to get me to stay on it and I'm like look buddy I feel like shit on it no matter what the dose so what's the point...just wanna get clean and be happy...2013 will be a year of change...I'm done procrastinating, I can't afford it anymore...but yeah that Ativan w/d was nasty....but I was also w/d from bup too so it's hard to say which it was or the combo...I find kpin much more effective and much easier to taper w/than that Ativan...although the Ativan was useful for 3 months in tranquilizing me to sleep when I was on the edge of suicide...so I won't bad mouth it too much....wish u all the drive and success in your taper to...temazapam is that restoril? I've never took or seen that..? How'd that work for anxiety/sleep?
Subhell

Postby Eyeronic » Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:44 pm

^^yes, temazepam is restoril. It is a hypnotic benzodiazepine, so it is almost like klonopin mixed with a little bit of Ambien. It works well, but tolerance builds quickly.
Eyeronic

Postby Subhell » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:14 pm

Thanks for the advice...keep me posted on your taper...and my goal is to be off this by spring sometime...getting off of subs and now methadone is my first priority...and that will be another 9-12 weeks max...wish me success...and same to all out there getting off of this shit....
Subhell

Return to Benzos Suck