My brother wants me to wean him off heroin?

Heroin, Pain Pills, Methadone are all opioids (aka opiates) and it just plain sucks or feels impossible to get off of any of them. Share about stopping, detox, or the desire to stop any of these.

My brother wants me to wean him off heroin?

Postby lone soldier » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:20 pm

Is this a good idea?

My younger brothers been smoking heroin for quite some time now, probably 3-4 months, if not longer. We've been battling this for the past 5 years and have really tried everything, nothing is working. We've givin him all the love and support we could possibly give, and he just in turn ends up taking advantage of it and getting even worse. So we have to be loving and supportive but also strict at the same time. We sat him down, the whole family, all 9 of us, and pretty much just told him this has to end. He's been telling us he's trying to quit for months now, and we've just left him at that, but it's just getting worse, and now he's dabbling with Meth. We found his stash, about 9 dimes (.1's wrapped in foil), and he kind of freaked out, but told us that if we wean him off he'd be ok with it.

This is the taper plan he advised. I give him a dime for the first 5 days, and then after that, a dime every other day, until we hit two weeks, and then he's planning on stopping. I do have all of it in my possession. Is this going to work? Is he fucking with me?

I feel like just tossing this all and have him go through the WD's. He tried subs before, and it went great for like two weeks, and then downhill from there, it actually seemed to get worse afterwords. I do have 2 subs though. If I quarter those, and space those out for 8 days would it help? He's claiming that he's smoking so much now that even a full 8mg sub wouldn't help.

I'm honestly lost and have no idea what to do anymore. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much
lone soldier

Re: My brother wants me to wean him off heroin?

Postby cheeps » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:20 pm

Hey sweetie....he's in a mess no doubt. Syd knows more about heroin issues. I think you can successfully get him off....but then what?

He has to fight the dragon at some point.

Meth is a poison like no other. I've done stupidly tried it because I thought it couldn't be much worse for the body than the old crystal meth from back in the day....wrong. The shit they use and method of making it produces toxins that are only apparent after ingestion.

He's medicating to cover something....what drives his dragon wagon?

Wait for syd, I'll let them know your here.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby syd » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:13 pm

Hello!

I'm a bit confused by your post. Help me out here.

You say the battle has been going on for 5 yrs. Do you mean with heroin or poly drug use?
Then you say, 3-4 months? Has he had a stretch of clean time?

While as painful as it gets, heroin detox without some tools to stay clean is extremely difficult. You/He needs to put some space between him and the dope. In my experience, a short detox rarely works. We heroin addicts have Very short memories & it takes a nanosecond to make the decision to get high. Your brother has to desperately want this and he has to be willing to walk the walk. Lip Service wont get you there.
syd

Postby lone soldier » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:44 pm

syd wrote:Hello!

I'm a bit confused by your post. Help me out here.

You say the battle has been going on for 5 yrs. Do you mean with heroin or poly drug use?
Then you say, 3-4 months? Has he had a stretch of clean time?

While as painful as it gets, heroin detox without some tools to stay clean is extremely difficult. You/He needs to put some space between him and the dope. In my experience, a short detox rarely works. We heroin addicts have Very short memories & it takes a nanosecond to make the decision to get high. Your brother has to desperately want this and he has to be willing to walk the walk. Lip Service wont get you there.

He's been abusing opiates and benzos, mostly opiates though, for the past 5 years, and now it's just gotten worse the past several months with him getting into heroin and meth. He says he wants to quit, and I feel like I believe him, I'm just not sure what to do. The only clean time he's had was about 3 months, when we took away his phone and kept him in the house. He said it was literally the most difficult thing he did in his life. He seemed normal, he gained back a lot of his weight, but the day we gave him back his freedom is the day he went right back. I just don't know what to do anymore. Should I try with the heroin taper? Or just get him to a dr again and try to get subs? Thanks so much syd.

Thank you cheeps.
lone soldier

Postby Subblind » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:11 am

Your an awesome person for wanting to help him...,and I can tell how frustrating this must be for you and your whole family.the dudes gotta want to help himself and maybe a short sub script might help get some distance between the H and meth and then get him off the subs???subs are a fucking shitty drug but they can help get him out of that lifestyle that is so fucking dangerous.hopefully someone else here with more experience can suggest how long that should be...keep trying and he should one day thank you for saving his life...your good people....
Subblind

Postby LastAttempt! » Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:03 am

Well for me if i'm brutally honest i think every time I've failed in the past was because i just wasn't ready or doing it for myself. I can't explain it but this time just felt right. I know i couldn't have done it at home this time as my habbit was just too damn much and i'd been on it too long but with the help of inpatient detox and groups / tools etc even though I've only been clean 25 days i really feel i'm done with the shit this time.

Only your brother knows if he is ready!

PS The tapering never worked for me i just had to choose to stop. Wish you and your family all the best :)

Lee.
Got this biatch!!! Free of Dope and back on life since 16/01/17!! :D
LastAttempt!

Postby nomojo3479 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:20 am

Heroin tapering is difficult because of the short half life (4hrs) and the inconsistent purity (even Among bags of the same batch).. so finding a consistent dosage to taper down is tough. I'd recommend trying with a pharmaceutical sao opiate like oxy codone
I've also read that some people have really great results with ibogaine (iboga root) for heroin detox.
nomojo3479

Return to Opioids Suck