HI

Heroin, Pain Pills, Methadone are all opioids (aka opiates) and it just plain sucks or feels impossible to get off of any of them. Share about stopping, detox, or the desire to stop any of these.

HI

Postby RetiredSoldier » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:26 am

Found this site while looking for information to help me get off the "meds" I'm on. I have to say some of you folks have been through a lot and are quite strong.

Background: Retired military, wounded on my last tour in Iraq. Suffered broken limbs and back, torn retinal left eye, burns on legs, shrapnel in face, mid-section, legs and feet. All those wounds have healed, but still have a ton of lingering pain. I also suffer from PTSD and traumatic brain injury. I'm a tad slower than I used to be:)

Anyway, the Army docs obviously filled me full of morphine and high doses of pain meds while I recovered and then continued on with the scrips when I got out of the hospital and then into retirement. They had me seeing the pain management folks and a litany of other docs monthly.

I'm stopping all of it. I'm sick and tired of being sick and tired. Been almost 8 years now and I'm done. I've been dropping down dosage for about two years now and am currently prescribed 300 10/325 percs per month. I've not taken that many for over two months. I now have myself down to about 1.5 pills a day. Little rough at first, but I cannot for the life of me seem to get lower.

After reading some of the trials and tribulations from some of the members here, I must sound like a wuss. I simply cannot seem to do it. I've not had any good sleep in weeks and this damn restless thing makes me want to jump off my roof. During the day, I'm gtg, but at night.....well, dang.

I've not used any doc to help with this. I've been using the immodium and taking a valium + a tall glass of vodka and OJ at night, but still not helping. I'm also eating a ton of banana's, drinking coconut water, eating salads, etc.

Am I missing something? I can go the entire day without a pill, but once the clock strikes midnight, it's game over.

Thanks,
Ken
RetiredSoldier

Re: HI

Postby runthemachine » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:40 pm

Short on time, at the moment, Ken. Just wanted you to know I read your post, and to say Welcome! I'll reply when I have a minute, for sure.

You're on the right track, Buddy.

Peace & power to ya.
Eternally... free from nothing.
runthemachine

Postby amery2u » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:55 pm

Welcome, Ken;
And yes it can be done, but it's DEF no fun. If you have support, (like THESE awesome peeps!) and/or someone at home, it gets easier. I'm new here, too. Read my post(s) under the crisis section. There are some GREAT shares here of how it can be done. I'm no pro, but i'm letting these people help me thru the hard part.

Good luck, & Peace & Power like run said !
Anne
Sub-Free Since Easter Sunday~ 4/11/2015 . . and still truckin~..~
amery2u

Postby Poncho » Thu Apr 30, 2015 2:58 pm

Great job getting to the lower dose when the pills are readily available to you. So you're down to 1 1/2 10 Mil Percs a day ? (Hope I have that right)That's a pretty low dose and you could probably jump now if you can suck it up and make it through the next week. After Day 4 you will start to feel a little better and it will get better everyday from there. Continue to use the immodium and valium but you need to be carefull with both of those too, both addicting.

If you had gone to your Doc saying you wanted off the pain pills he would have probably put you on Suboxone or Subutex, which they market as the miracle drug for addicted people but in reality it puts you in a world of hurt long term. That why this site was created.

Let us know how you're doing.
Poncho

Postby RetiredSoldier » Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:20 pm

Yes, I'm down to exactly 1 1/2 of 10/325 per day (night actually). Two weeks ago I was at 5 a day. I'm actually feeling a lot better today than I have. Stomach upset, but not the cravings like they have been. I've not had a single pill today. Actually, what I did to get through this was cut the pills down into qtrs. But, last night I took 6 qtrs just to be able to sleep. Wussed out....

I literally have hundreds of these pills in my night stand, but I've been strong enough to not stop too much of the progress I've made. Except for my nigh time caves.

I know it's all in my head at this point, but damn.....

Appreciate the responses.

Ken
RetiredSoldier

Postby cheeps » Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:53 pm

First thing you need to think about is getting rid of your stash...pronto. You are on the edge of w/d's...that's why you feel like shit at night. You need a muscle relaxer like flexiril.... good shit for night time pain. Do you have some? Also, could you get some neurontin or Lyrica from the fucking drs? This really helps with the damn heebie jeebies and restless legs and arms.

Do not fear w/d's......withdrawal is a process...you have tapered well. Have a little more patience and get these meds if you can.

Here's a thread where we talk about comfort meds.

http://subsux.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2 ... mfort+meds

Glad you found us.....soon, you will be fine...no shit. 8-)
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby Poncho » Fri May 01, 2015 7:33 am

Cheeps is right about your large stash of pills (what was your address ? :twisted: ) But really having them there as a crutch will hurt you since whenever you feel bad, you can just reach for one. You have tapered down so much, you've done the hard work, almost at the end. Have your comfort meds ready and pick a week and jump !
Poncho

Postby RetiredSoldier » Fri May 01, 2015 8:15 am

Thanks for the responses. Last night I got rid of the stash. My wife disposed of them. Afterwards, I waited until exactly 11:55 and went downstairs to my office and did 'busy work' until 0215 this morning. Didn't look at a clock. Took a hot shower, shot of tequila, and a muscle relaxer and crashed.

Made it till 0503 before waking with a slight craving. So, I got up and took my dogs for a long walk around the neighborhood, came back and showered and started my day. NO PILLS!

I just got into my office and I'm really not feeling bad. Well, besides being a little tired. My left leg is still going a tad crazy, but other than that I'm GTG.

I had an appointment this afternoon with the pain doc. Just got off the phone with them. I cancelled and told them I would not be coming back.

I'm done......
RetiredSoldier

Postby Poncho » Fri May 01, 2015 8:27 am

That is awesome man ! You're in for a few rough days but hang in there, you will get through it. A week from now you'll be in here telling us how much better you feel.
Poncho

Postby cheeps » Fri May 01, 2015 10:12 am

You got this.....and it's not going to last very long.....lack of sleep will get to you but you just have to push thru it, use benzos, muscle relaxers....don't worry about overuse....I have a feeling you know what your body can tolerate. Exercise is KEY! Do whatever you can to get the endorphins flowing....even if you feel like ass.

Drink water constantly....we have a detox nurse on board and most of us have detoxed a few times....drinking water flushes out the toxins, the residue of the drugs. When the body issues get bad, legs or arms jerking....hit the muscle relaxers hard and don't worry about trying to function well. This is one time the you cannot control your body well so DON'T fight it. Take hot hot showers or sit in a bath of epsom salts. Bananas and magnesium help too.

If you wake up in the middle of the night and no one is here to talk to.....just try to read in the opiate sucks section. Don't freak out over any horror stories...you tapered well and you will be fine.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby amery2u » Sat May 02, 2015 12:49 pm

"CONGRATS" Soldier;
Thank you for your service!
My Dad and Bro retired from the Navy, my 26 y/o son is in the Army. Y'all are amazing to me. Read my thread, if you wanna see what hell could be, as if YOU don't know.
Hang in there, SO MANY GOOD PEOPLE HERE...... Holding my hand, day by day. There is INFINITE WISDOM AND SURVIVAL among these posts/threads!~ As Cheeps said, when you can't sleep, read their stories~~ the Vet's of this forum, Especially Ratch who started this place in the FIRST PLACE when the PRO-SUBBERS kicked him off!

You found the best place to stay clean! It's working for me; tmrw = 3 weeks! (not easy, but attainable..)

Sincerely,
Anne.
amery2u

Postby RetiredSoldier » Mon May 04, 2015 8:18 am

Day 4 without a pill! Friday and Saturday were uncomfortable, but I stayed busy and it helped a lot. Not much sleep either night. Bought some melatonin yesterday and slept through the night last night. Up at 6 for a brisk walk. I have no cravings today at all and feel like a million dollars. The haze has lifted and I'm finally feeling normal again.

On the downside, I'm feeling a lot more pain. But, what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. The pain simply means my body is free from those damn drugs. Never again will I take a pain pill.

Thanks for the responses.

Ken
RetiredSoldier

Postby cheeps » Mon May 04, 2015 8:58 am

Ken....ibuprophen is good.....and the pain you feel now will lessen over time. Detox makes the CNS scream...that's why the sleep issues and pain issues are more strongly felt.

Use muscle relaxers and benzos if needed....over time you will cease using those too....it's a natural progression. Find friends and family....do not overwork....but stay busy. You got this!
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby Poncho » Mon May 04, 2015 9:12 am

Great job Soldier !
Poncho

Postby RetiredSoldier » Tue May 12, 2015 9:01 am

Working on day 12 clean from that poison. No cravings or wd symptoms now. Everything's feeling normal again. Back to sleeping 6 hours a night without waking. Damn, do I have energy now! 8 years on that stuff just sapped that.
I feel so much better.

I have to admit I feel a lot more pain now (my limp is more pronounced now and I'm back to using a cane late in the day at times), but it just reminds me Haj could have killed me and I wouldn't be here now to even feel that pain. So, I take an aspirin or two and move on.....

Again, thanks to all you guys for your responses. Those and reading the posts on this board certainly helped me overcome that last hurdle.

Ken
RetiredSoldier

Postby cheeps » Tue May 12, 2015 9:17 am

Ken....I'm just SO glad you were able to make the leap. I know you are committed and that will carry you far. There will be times you will need the pain meds again so remember to be smart and get off them after surgeries etc. Taper those bastards and use any support system you can to help you. Good people, good places, good things!!! :cheers:

Keep us posted!!!! :D
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby amery2u » Tue May 12, 2015 1:36 pm

Congrats, Kudos, and Many Thanks, Ken~!!!

Anne :)

ps: Cheeps is a WEALTH of info, and experience...listen to her. I NEED to myself.
amery2u

Postby Poncho » Wed May 13, 2015 8:18 am

Great job on getting down so low and having the balls to jump. You may still have some days down the line where you feel WD symptoms but just know that day will pass quick. Your story should be an inspiration to everyone on here trying to get off the poison. :clap:
Poncho

Postby Sindysun » Wed May 13, 2015 6:30 pm

So impressive!!!

It's hard to taper off pills. So happy for you! After 12 days post jump from short acting opiates you are in the clear.

It's nice when good people have happy endings like this on the board.

If you have a chance maybe you can elaborate on your taper for other struggling pill ppl out there.
Tapered for 6 months down to .02. Sub free since 1/30/15 after 7 years.
Sindysun

Postby RetiredSoldier » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:42 pm

Been extremely busy with a merger and not able to get on here.

I'm working on 7 weeks clean and I feel great! I still get anxious sometimes, but nothing serious. Feeling better than I have in years. I'm not even in as much pain as I thought I would be. Sleeping 6-7 hours a night with no restlessness at all. Biggest thing is my head and thinking is clear. No more of that haze. Plenty of energy, etc.

It's awesome to have my life back!

Thanks again for all the input, guys. Much appreciated!

Ken
RetiredSoldier

Next

Return to Opioids Suck