Sincere question...where your parents alcoholic or addicts?

Heroin, Pain Pills, Methadone are all opioids (aka opiates) and it just plain sucks or feels impossible to get off of any of them. Share about stopping, detox, or the desire to stop any of these.

Re: Sincere question...where your parents alcoholic or addic

Postby tenn_smoothie » Sat Oct 12, 2013 8:22 pm

yes I have - they are just like AA or NA or Al-Anon in that you gotta find a meeting that fits your personality. not as easy with ACOA because there just aren't as many meetings as the others, though it depends on where you live. also, some meetings that are labled as Al-Anon are populated with a lot of adult children and are just as good. they just helped me feel a lot more normal and to stop beating up on myself so much. go to the ACOA national website - just reading some of their stuff there is real helpful. you will find yourself saying, "no wonder I always struggled with that."

I also see an Adult Children friendly therapist (if that makes any sense) and that has been a huge help.

i'm a big believer in finding what works for you, 'cause different things work better for different people.
tenn_smoothie

Postby Thebull42 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:15 am

There is no history of addiction in my family. I grew up in a great loving household surrounded by immediate and extended fam. I don't say this to brag, but I appreciate this post cuz it's driving me crazy. Why am I the black sheep, why am I the one who became an addict.. I'm successful in life and have accomplished may things, but still turned out this way...I'm also now admitting I'm an alcoholic as well...Addict in every sense...I can't have 1 slice of pizza, or one piece of cake...I need the entire pie or cake...my outpatient says there has to be addiction somewhere but no1 in my family knows...Wats worse is support is rough because no1 understands addiction.
Oxycodone, Oxymorphone, Hydrocodone,
Morphine, Adderal, Cocaine & Alcohol
Suboxone & Subutex
User of the Above on/off for 6 years
Clean since 3/17/14
Thebull42

Postby jbehr » Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:18 pm

Dad alcoholic and I recovering alcoholic no drink since 3 years. Found opioid much better at taking your life. Dad thinks because he quit drinking being an opioid addict its easy to quit. ''Oh get it done I did''' lol OK ya 57 yes to quit drinking hate to see what addiction would do
Vicodin 2011
Percocet 30-180mg Iv 2012
Suboxone/subutex 2 years
Jumped 4/6/14 skip method AND FAILED
Back on subutex poison tapering until April 15 2015 jump
jbehr

Postby wastedtime » Sun Apr 13, 2014 1:03 am

I know this is an old post.My parents were not addicts but my Mom's family had many alcoholics and addicts.My parents were very loving.My Dad was sick when I was very young and I started struggling with depression about the age of 13 and started doing drugs with older cousins.

Anyway,I just wanted to thank Jules too.She has been there for me for years.Seems like she has been there for everyone.She is awesome and I can never thank her enough.You are the best Jules! a big shout out to Emily too who has always been there for me too.I don't know what I would have done without the two of them. Much love to then both.They are the reason I have kept coming here.

Run,you have helped me so much too and were my very first friend here.Your old post on this thread has made me grateful for the life I have had too.I could have been the woman in Sudan or somewhere in the world where women are treated so badly.

Peace to everyone,Goldie
wastedtime

Previous

Return to Opioids Suck