Is suboxone right for me?

This forum is for welcoming new members, introducing yourself, and posting things that would affect or encompass all areas of addiction. If you want to post about other things...such as sports, movies, your mean wife, lazy husband, evil kids, or how bad your dog smells... then post in the Fun Stuff/Off-Topic forum.

Is suboxone right for me?

Postby samirish » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:58 am

Hi all,
I found this forum on the internet after searching for info regarding suboxone. I currently trying to decide weather to find a doctor to prescribe suboxone for me. Im am trying to decide if its right for me.

My history: I was an alcoholic from age 25 to 40. I had tried counceling, aa meetings, outpatient rehab, inpatient rehab, got a dui. I just could not stay sober very long. The alcohol pretty much kicked the shit out of me and my family.
3 years ago, I came down with a pain condition which led me to be on norco. I was on a pretty low dose of norco (4 pills of 5/325) a day for a year. During that year, I had no want to drink. I was able to hold down a job, i repaired relationships with my family and children. Things were good. I actually got promoted at work.

2 years ago my norco script would not get filled anymore. After i detoxed off the norco, I realized why i drank. It was due to depression. I have tried all kinds anti depressants over the years and nothing really eased my depression so i drank.

Since then, i am able to get some norcos form a friend every now and again (maybe 10 pills every three months) and when i have them, i am normal and productive. When i dont, my depression creeps back in and i start to relapse on the drinking. I CAN NOT BECOME A ALCOHOLIC AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY CHILDREN WOULD BE CRUSHED, AND THAT IN TURN WOULD CRUSH ME. I dont know what to do.

Do you think low dose, long term suboxone therapy can help me?
samirish

Re: Is suboxone right for me?

Postby CatsMeow » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:03 pm

I'm no expert here, but I do have a lot of experience with depression. I'm Bipolar II since I hit menopause at 38 years old (I'm now 59). I went through several psychiatrists & many different medications until I found the right one. It took some time, but I did find the answer. It is Seroquel (for me).

If you think Suboxone is like a norco, you're very very wrong my friend. This stuff is horrible. Any small short term gain that you may get will turn on you in the future & it's hell (& I do mean hell) to get off of. Read around the SubSux forum. You'll get the truth about Sub.

I would recommend that you continue to try to find a medication that will work on your depression. Depression isn't good for anyone, but when you find the right med to treat it you'll be so much better off than getting yourself hooked up on this Sub crap.

So to answer your question, I don't believe for one minute that Suboxone is the answer for you. Glad you posted here before you got started. Wish I had...
Opy Free 4/14/2017
Sub Tapering Since 5/6/2017
CatsMeow

Postby Dcleanist » Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:11 pm

Congrats on your homework

Alcy is a depressant and opys react to allot of the same receptors. Just a sister demon of difference. You can't be properly diagnosed till months clean of substances. There is vivatrol and other blockers that would keep you from using. The thing with drugs is the other foot is bound to drop eventually. Excuses can bend the truth.

If can do your time in pain now before it grows into a no controllable deception do it. If not sub won't turn on you for years but when it does you will either start the drinking cycle again or worse. Try the blockers and a support group like an iop program or something.

Excuses hinder the truth. Good luck with your choices and stay tuned to ss. There is always a lesson to be perceived persevered. Peace
The voice of reason is reasonably late.
Dcleanist

Postby cheeps » Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:18 am

I agree with the other two posters....you do NOT want to get on this drug....it is hell to get off of....after a while called the honeymoon period, it can turn on you and you will feel like death warmed over. Try neuro therapy, try anything but sub!
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Return to General