Smoking Cigarettes

This forum is for welcoming new members, introducing yourself, and posting things that would affect or encompass all areas of addiction. If you want to post about other things...such as sports, movies, your mean wife, lazy husband, evil kids, or how bad your dog smells... then post in the Fun Stuff/Off-Topic forum.

Smoking Cigarettes

Postby DietDoc » Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:36 pm

So, IMHO...

If you're down the taper road on sub and you smoke (and have been for a long time) I wouldn't try to put my body and mind through another heavy physiological and psychological withdrawal. I'd do a 'worst first' and handle the sub, then the butts.

If you're in the prep phase for getting off of any opiate, the planning phase where you hit the gym and improve your diet etc. to make the taper and AWS and PAWS a bit easier, then it's a fantastic thing to do becasue you'll just feel a lot better (starting literally with the first one you don't smoke). You'll just be a much stronger animal.

But, if you're on a regular opiate agonist, anything other than buprenorphine, it's almost impossible to quit while your still taking it, tapering or not. If you don't smoke or haven't for a long while and start an opiate you might be OK not to smoke. But, and again this is my humble opinion, if you're taking an opiate agonist don't bother trying to stop. There is something about opiates, dopamine, enkephalins and nicotine that makes smoking 1000 times more enjoyable and hence more addictive. Also, the respiratory depression from opiates makes it more tolerable to the respiratory tract, not a great thing.

So when it comes to quitting, remember kids:

Smoking and subs, not a problem
Smoking and dope, don't bother

You know who you are by the way.
I have two wolves fighting in my heart. One wolf is a vengeful, angry one. The other wolf is a loving, compassionate one. Which wolf will win the fight in my heart? The one I feed.

Buprenorphine: 9+ years @ 16 mg/d ave. - Tapering @ < .5 mg/d
Alprazolam: Tapered off May 2016 - Started again October 2017 currently tapering again
DietDoc

Re: Smoking Cigarettes

Postby cheeps » Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:21 am

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :mrgreen:

You got me....when I taper I smoke less. When I quit, I usually stop. :gaah: :gaah: :gaah:

Smoking SUCKS!!!!!! :nono: :nono: :nono: :nono: :suicide:
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Re: Smoking Cigarettes

Postby les601 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:48 am

Smoking and shooting dope are part and parcel. And burning your sheets, the floor, your keyboard, your chest (didn't hurt but has left a nasty scar). Speaking of scars...I'm a little freaked out by my track marks this time around. I have a long gruesome (for some reason people think knife wound) scar from my twenties (long time ago) on my right bicep but it is relatively easy to hide. I used to tell people when asked what it was from that I had been attacked by a psychotic chicken in my childhood (with a poker face). Far too many believed me. Unless of course it was a hot chick who liked scars and bad boys...we all know the rest of that story. But anyway, here I am, November 2017 and I have scars on both forearms some of which haven't been used in months. They don't look as bad but they do look like they might be sticking around for the long run or at least a long while. Trying the usual: vitamin E, cocoa butter, etc. with minimal results. Any suggestions? So silly how I used to romanticize this shit.
les601

Return to General