Pain on Subs?

This forum is for welcoming new members, introducing yourself, and posting things that would affect or encompass all areas of addiction. If you want to post about other things...such as sports, movies, your mean wife, lazy husband, evil kids, or how bad your dog smells... then post in the Fun Stuff/Off-Topic forum.

Pain on Subs?

Postby southerngirl » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:45 pm

I probably could have asked someone in a PM, but I'm curious what you all have to say. When you are on subs, full on, how do you experience pain?

Background - Hubs is on 16 mg subs a day for 12 years. Several years ago he had severe burns that he didn't feel. Now he has a toothache that is "killing him." So - what's the deal?

SG (the nosy wife who really doesn't care, but is kinda curious)

(He had his dentist call in an antibiotic. He's had all kinds of dental problems before, obviously)
southerngirl

Re: Pain on Subs?

Postby The Blind Ass » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:51 pm

Once opiate dependence is achieved and one moves from homeostasis to an allosteric state pain will and can be felt somewhat normally again because the brain adapts, but it also mutates receptors and pathways sometimes causing OIH. I have personally experienced a good bit of Opioid-induced hyperalgesia (OIH) which is defined as a state of nociceptive sensitization caused by exposure to opioids. The condition is characterized by a paradoxical response whereby a patient receiving opioids for the treatment of pain could actually become more sensitive to certain painful stimuli. ( - pain physician journal online )

But that is just one possible speculation. Another is that bad dental hygiene and dietary habits will cause gum and tooth problems, and if its a nerve that is aching it does hurt like hell. I have heard rumors suboxone is nasty on the teeth and gums but I have not seen any clinical evidence, but I have not searched for it either.
The Blind Ass

Postby Subblind » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:57 pm

You still feel pain...,it just takes the edge off.Dental pain can be beyond horrific so subs are not gonna touch that like they would a chronic sciatic burning nerve pain.the only thing that'll help him with this is a 2x4 directly to the forehead...would you be willing to help him with that?(only joking,not intending to offend you or him in any way)
Subblind

Postby southerngirl » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:12 pm

Oh, I'd be happy to put him out of his misery. But in reality, I don't mind watching him suffer. I kinda think Karma is doing her thing. It was just weird how he didn't even FEEL third degree burns on his legs after a motorcycle ride in shorts. That was about four years ago. That, actually, is how I figured out what subs were. Before that I was naive to what was going on. I actually bought the 'I'm clean now' theory that really meant 'I'm not longer lying about being high.'

Anyway - thanks for the feedback. I really have no clue.

And Mr Bad Ass - I'm still looking for your post. Stay with these guys - promise you'll be glad
southerngirl

Postby Eyedotz » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:01 pm

Well. I was on subs for 13 years... Now that I have been off of it for a while, I've discovered I was in much more pain on subs. Sub does not help with headache relief, for example. For me, it caused a myriad of pain symptoms. I often had back and joint pain that was pretty severe at times. When I would dose, I did feel pain relief the first couple hours, but it was short lived. I 'thought' the pain I was experiencing was my body just getting older. Today, I can honestly say that I believe the sub was causing pain, for me. I completely realize this is in no comparison to someone that suffers from chronic pain (right sb? ;) ). I started sub because I am a drug addict and I did not have physical pain issues prior...I only had them on sub. Now that I'm post-sub... I no longer have pain.
Eyedotz Spotify playlist (EDM Detox Mix)
https://open.spotify.com/user/eyedotz/p ... luHItCVAiQ
13 Year Sub survivor - Jumped at .03mg after 9 month taper from 4-6mg.
JUMP DATE MARCH 18th, 2016

Forgive yourself for not knowing what you didn't know before you learned it.
Eyedotz

Postby southerngirl » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:23 pm

Thanks, Eyedots. Interesting to hear what you say. It's funny how little I actually know about what it's like for him. We never talk about it. Ever. He has been eating advil for years. Today we went out to do some shopping. He filled up a baggie with about thirty tylenol and took almost half while we were gone for a few hours. He started an antibiotic and that should help. Btw, he didn't get started on pain meds because of pain either - purely recreational.
southerngirl

Postby Eyedotz » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:10 am

He may find pain relief by getting off sub...BUT I have read your thread... he doesn't seem to want to...or care to.

I have been with my partner for 13 years...the same amount of time that I have been on sub. We met the same year I started a maintenance plan. Sub can be difficult on a relationship. The subtle changes are very slow albeit certain. The first couple years on sub, I functioned wonderfully. I felt so alive....like I could do anything! I was happy, energetic and driven. OH so slowly...it started to reverse on me. Lethargy and a monotone existence set in. I functioned like a robot... I worked and came home. Repeat. My partner also adjusted to these changes. She became my 'caretaker' because I basically had no desire to care for myself anymore. I wanted nothing from other people... I did not enjoy social situations. I became selfish and did not care about other people. I became a shut in (besides work) and was content living out my days like that... UNTIL my doctors office closed and I refused to go sub doctor shopping. F that. I decided it was time...and here I am. 9 months post sub as of today.

It has been a hard transition post sub for my partner and I. She has seen the immense changes I've gone through, and it has been very confusing to her. It has been difficult to support her in a meaningful way because I have been dealing with my own emotional shock and turmoil after jumping. I am not the same person that I was...I am now a stranger to her and it is shocking for us both. Anyway, I just wanted to give you insight from the other side of the fence. I know it is hard on you and you didn't sign up for it. The only thing you can do is detach your feelings....it really sucks to do that to your partner. No one wins. Addiction sucks.
Eyedotz Spotify playlist (EDM Detox Mix)
https://open.spotify.com/user/eyedotz/p ... luHItCVAiQ
13 Year Sub survivor - Jumped at .03mg after 9 month taper from 4-6mg.
JUMP DATE MARCH 18th, 2016

Forgive yourself for not knowing what you didn't know before you learned it.
Eyedotz

Postby cheeps » Sun Dec 18, 2016 9:29 am

SG....chronic pain and acute pain are two different boogers. That's one reason...but the acute pain he had before on his legs wasn't as bad maybe because the burns caused a weird nerve block? Don't know. But tooth pain...or any pain in the head...but especially tooth pain....the sub won't really cover. It's different. When I was on the methadone and on the SAOs now....any tooth pain is felt horribly.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby southerngirl » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:28 pm

Three weeks later and tomorrow is root canal day. He was home for the last two weeks and I seriously think he was on something other than subs. I'm guessing he may have come off subs and back on hydro. He hides it better than anybody but I saw things that made me go hmmmmm. So did my kids. He was taking his "antibiotic" and would get relief within half an hour? Um - antibiotics never worked like that for me. He's also been popping advil and tylenol in massive amounts. I'm sure he hurts, but good grief. Oddly enough, he ate normally. Never winced. Right now I wish I could catch him, and he knows it. He is being careful.

Drugs suck. All of them. I've spent the last two weeks seriously considering becoming an alcoholic. And I don't drink.

Ugh

SG
southerngirl

Postby cheeps » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:00 am

SG....how's your escape plan going? ;)
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby southerngirl » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:43 am

It just got ramped up.

I also learned this morning about another odd pain story. He was helping someone change lightbulbs in the ceiling. He unscrewed one, held it while he screwed in the new one, and then handed the old one to someone and that someone was burned badly it was so hot.

Yep. I'll be ramping up that plan real quick.
southerngirl

Return to General