Why is it most all of us relapse while trying to get clean? What is so hard about staying clean?
It's because few have the tools needed to recognize that a relapse starts in the mind before it actually manifest in the physical. Some one, some thing triggers us on a mental/ emotional level. It can be anything from a song on the radio to something more serious, like losing your job. We addicts celebrate by getting high, as much as we medicate, to deal with the bad stuff. Plain ole BOREDOM will take you down quicker than most life events, tho.
The list below, was taken from SMART Recovery's web site. I personally used SMART in my own recovery and I can tell you it does work. You have to be willing to do some self analysis and question which of your thoughts are rational and which are irrational. If you fix your head, you will cure your addiction.
1. What was the trigger that caused you to use?
2. How were you feeling just before you felt like drinking or drugging?
3. What were you telling yourself just before you started to drink or drug? (Look for additional, hidden thoughts.)
4. What did you do?
5. Which thoughts led to which addictive feelings and behaviors?
6. What was the chain of thoughts, feelings, and actions?
7. What could you have told yourself?
8. What could you have done?
9. What emotions could you have pushed yourself to feel?
10. How do you feel now about what happened?
SMART is not a higher power program. It's a program of Self Empowerment. You dont have to go to meetings. But you can, if you live in a city that has a local chapter.
Cant or dont wanna go to rehab?
You can get everything you need at SMART's website. Find more tools under the Resources tab, at the top of the home page. They even cover how to deal with anxiety http://www.smartrecovery.org/