Comfort meds? From Soup to Nuts

This forum is for welcoming new members, introducing yourself, and posting things that would affect or encompass all areas of addiction. If you want to post about other things...such as sports, movies, your mean wife, lazy husband, evil kids, or how bad your dog smells... then post in the Fun Stuff/Off-Topic forum.

Comfort meds? From Soup to Nuts

Postby cheeps » Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:53 pm

Lopermide HCL - This is imodium, but buying the generic lopermide HCL tablets is the same thing and will save you a few bucks. This is the only medicine you want to use for opiate withdrawal diarrhea.
It acts as a mu-opioid receptor agonist in the myenteric plexus of the large intestine, though it does not affect the central nervous system. So basically, what you get is a medicine that acts like an opiate in your stomach, eliminating diarrhea during withdrawal, which doesn’t get you high.It also helps with overall malaise in quad doses. If you take this in high doses, buy a simple stool softener to take with meals....better safe than sorry. Take a few.

Clonidine - This is a blood-pressure medication that helps with the goosebumps and chills associated with opiate withdrawal. It can definitely take the edge off, and many people have used it to minimize their symptoms. This can also be habit forming, and if used should only be taken for a short period of time, two weeks maximum. Patches and pills are fine. If BP gets over 150/110, detox centers gladly give it...ask your dr and educate yourself on using a battery powered BP cuff at home. Clonidine is THE stalwart med....it can be taken on top of many other BP meds...check that out before you need it.

Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatory Drugs - NSAIDS such as ibuprofen, naproxen and aspirin are pain-relievers that can help with muscle soreness from opiate withdrawal. They should be taken as prescribed due to being potentially harmful on the liver when the daily maximum dose is exceeded. They can definitely help ease opiate withdrawal symptoms.

Muscle Relaxers - some are sedating and some are not. Detox centers like baclofen, robaxin, and Flexiril. They are good for restless arms and legs, painful legs, & muscle spasms. They will help you sleep and are not as addicting as benzos.

Benzodiazepines - These are anti-anxiety medications such as: valium, xanax, ativan and klonopin. They are the absolute best opiate withdrawal remedies. Having 10 days worth of these definitely helps you relax and sleep better. Though they are not pain-killers, they have mild muscle relaxing properties.Be aware they are HIGHLY ADDICTING. In Detox facilities they will often use benzodiazepines in combination with clonidine for severe opiate withdrawal.

Sleep aids - Ambien and lunesta aren't well recommended for detox. Trazadone and doxipine are used frequently. But, when all else fails and the hammer needs to fall, Thorazine OR a high dose of Xanax OR a Seroquil might do it. Be very careful with these drugs.

All of these drugs....it is imperative that you know when and how much you are taking. Please keep a record of everything with times and doses.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Re: Comfort meds? From Soup to Nuts

Postby Sindysun » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:43 am

Gabapentin/neurontin helped me more than anything and detoxes often prescribe this as well.

Requip for restless legs is great. No side effects and not addicting.
Tapered for 6 months down to .02. Sub free since 1/30/15 after 7 years.
Sindysun

Postby Eye-Know » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:00 am

Agreed! Neurontin is really helpful, Lyrica even more so, although the latter is much harder to come by. I'm going to see if I can persuade my GP to prescribe me Lyrica this summer actually.
Eye-Know

Postby nootlsjr » Sat Feb 28, 2015 11:23 am

theres nothing better then weed in moderation, but the weed, benzo, coffee detox works the best.

dam cheeps, you can list benzo's but not marry jane. that's messed up. lol.
Y ask Y,Y. Y is Y.....
nootlsjr

Postby cheeps » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:21 pm

nootlsjr wrote:theres nothing better then weed in moderation, but the weed, benzo, coffee detox works the best.

dam cheeps, you can list benzo's but not marry jane. that's messed up. lol.

Noots....I don't like marry Jane...it gives me panic attacks. This thread is for ALL of you to add to...well, except my ole bud owen from the UK.

I hope that we can keep putting positive meds here....science and detox centers need to come up with more ways to ease our shit.

Hey, and comfort meds don't have to be drugs. :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby cheeps » Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:25 pm

Eye-Know wrote:Agreed! Neurontin is really helpful, Lyrica even more so, although the latter is much harder to come by. I'm going to see if I can persuade my GP to prescribe me Lyrica this summer actually.

Lyrica, while dangerous to come off of at high doses, is a GREAT med for detox. Neurontin too, just remember to taper those two bitches and be prepared for a depressive episode IF you taper too fast. :evil: Some people do not tolerate these meds well. :suicide:

They do an outstanding job calming the CNS. :D
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby rc51guy » Tue Mar 31, 2015 3:03 pm

What kinda dose of gabapentin seemed to help you guys? I have 300Mg capsules and been taking 2-3 a day during my rapid taper and it does help. I will be jumping tomorrow night. I used to take gabapentin in high doses back when I had a spinal injury...never had an issue when it was discontinued. I think they had me up to like 1800 mg a day at one point.
“The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
― John Milton
rc51guy

Postby Sindysun » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:33 am

You can take gabapentin in high doses. 1200 three times a day is the max but maybe try 600 mg at a time then see. You won't have a problem with it if it's not too long and better to reduce slowly if you're not sure

Happy jumping!!! April fools day:)
Tapered for 6 months down to .02. Sub free since 1/30/15 after 7 years.
Sindysun

Postby cheeps » Wed May 06, 2015 11:33 am

bump
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby Don_Pisto » Thu May 07, 2015 2:31 pm

Good stuff. Thank you Doña Cheeps and to all the contributors. This is very helpful
Sub free since June 4, 2015
Don_Pisto

Postby cheeps » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:09 am

An article on Gabapentin/Neurontin....how it reduces anxiety during detox.

http://www.jneurosci.org/content/28/37/9087.full
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby cheeps » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:46 am

Here we go.....back to active topics. :banana: :banana:
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby The Blind Ass » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:53 am

Kava Kava Tincture/Extract - gabanergic plant based drug - acts like a benzo or alcohol for a couple of hours...but look up interactions between other medications because there are some and using longer than 3-4 weeks can cause liver problems for some individuals with preexisting conditions. Good for Panic Attacks and bad muscle cramps and restless legs and general mailaise during the acute stage f opiate withdrawals - may be habit forming if taken in large doses more than a couple of weeks. I was able to find this in a health food store and it was high quality and very potent - just like a dose of liquid xanax.... but educate yourself first!

Cannabis - (edibles for when your sick - not so much smoking )- notably the ones with a lower concentration of THC and higher in CBD and other cannabinoids ( see strain named "Charlotte's Web" or others like "PlushBerry" or "Chernobly" that have... strains are unique and so are the effects so experimentation is required unfortunately. For myself I would give my left nut for some cannabis edibles for opiate withdrawals...less "mind fuck/ trippy / anxiety / paranoia " and a whole hell of alot of comfortable body feelings such as warmth, relaxation of muscles and a mood lift that just slaps a dumb grin of a fool on your face and makes you think and feel "hey, even this isnt so bad"...also stimulates the appetite and helps dry out all those leaky withdrawling orifices... just be sure to start Very Very small ... when I did use to be able to get cannabis I would literally take a pinch of salts worth and it was a complete Game Changer.

Anything like a whole bowl or even a 1 big hit off a small joint was much too much for me...but edibles all the way!!! - just start very small and they can be very medicinal and pleasant - sleep comes easier as well, anti-anxiety and anti-epileptic and much more with the right strain and variety. Educate your self like a mad man!
I once got lucky and a friend came into our state and gave me edibles while I was in heroin withdrawals and I...felt great and slept like a baby even in withdrawals with 0 paranoia that I would get if smoked - in fact it was like an anti-paranoia strain...ah my luck ...mind you I am cannabis naive aka no tolerance.

If it was legal in my state or I had someone I could trust I would be all over it in a heart beat ... . Damn this backwards state! :banghead:

Last bumped by cheeps on Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:53 am.
The Blind Ass

Return to General