The lingering symptom you experience the longest?

This forum is for welcoming new members, introducing yourself, and posting things that would affect or encompass all areas of addiction. If you want to post about other things...such as sports, movies, your mean wife, lazy husband, evil kids, or how bad your dog smells... then post in the Fun Stuff/Off-Topic forum.

The lingering symptom you experience the longest?

Postby cheeps » Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:56 pm

And what would that be for each of you?

Mine is/was the 'heightened sense of smell".

My cat pissed on my birkenstocks because a neighboring TOM cat did it weeks ago.

I hate the smell of TCP......and I can smell that fucking garbage can at 20 feet too. STILL.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper halted
cheeps
Advanced Member

Re: The lingering symptom you experience the longest?

Postby Justjules13 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:13 pm

For me...it's that total lack of energy...I can't be bothered to go socialize. It's not gotten better. I'd rather get take out than go to dinner. Everything seems like a chore.....it sucks!
J
Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Victor Kiam
Pills and IV Morphine- 1985-1999
Methadone maintenance- 1999-May 23,2011 (140mg, tapering to 10 mg)
Suboxone-slow taper to zero, very minimal WD (jump date 12/9/14)
Justjules13

Postby ratch » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:19 pm

I have to agree with Jules. Lack of energy and motivation was my biggest issue as well.
ratch
Administrator

Highscores: 1

Postby Not a 12 stepper » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:13 am

Mine was and still is, overactive sex drive-

PS...

I applaud those cats for pissing on your birkenstocks, Cheeps. Thanks for sharing :laughpound:
Not a 12 stepper

Highscores: 2

Postby GoodVibrations » Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:56 am

insomnia and lack of motivation is something i still struggle with 5 months later. Oh yea, i'm still doing the double sneezes, very weird.

RLS, Toliet breaks, ZERO energy, lack of appetite and hopelessness all went away within a month or so
What is the point livin' your life numbed out and not appreciating the beauty in this world. Shit man , we live this once...And once only.

Sub free since 4/14/12
GoodVibrations

Postby Christina13 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:38 pm

I'm only 3 weeks out but right now my ears are bothering me and I toss & turn all night!!
SUBFREE since 9/2/12 :)
Christina13

Postby subster58 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:57 pm

crying, lack of modivation, no energy, joyless feeling, depression. all is better, but I need more time to heal
Tia
subsucker free 4-30-12
One Hour at a time
subster58

Postby mimiluv » Sun Sep 23, 2012 7:16 pm

Lack of any GOOD feelings/ Apathy.. energy motivation..

But I am 3 years out now so I think I am good!! :D
Angela
Sub Free 8/26/09 :boobshake:
Benzo free 9/6/09 Healed.
Klonopin 2013
taper 4/17-12/14/17 down to 0.025mg
Benzo free 12/15/17
mimiluv
Crazy as Hell

Postby subster58 » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:37 pm

Angela, wow 3 years, fucking congrats. awesome
Tia
subsucker free 4-30-12
One Hour at a time
subster58

Postby Owen » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:36 pm

I would say a little anxiety and a little bit of fear. Fear of long term affects of bup, fear of depression or any symptom creeping up any time, couple of hours of less sleep.But cardipo and positive thinking helps and so does keep busy.

To many folks It seems it makes no difference if you taper down or not/cold-turkey. Less is more is becoming a theory that if it gives you a high and holds you then obviously stopping at low doses can be harder to quit i.e long term WDs and PAWS. Something to do with low doses of bup passing the brain barrier to the extent of having even worse WDs then if you would jump off at 1mg or higher.

It also seems many folks who jump at 0.25 seem to have longer lasting symptoms then cold turkey, I think one needs to stay on a low dose for a while if they have been on long term bup, but thats just my own theory. But overall it seems to many follks that tapering to low doses can actually make WDs and PAWS long and drawn out, if something holds you and the theory is "less is more" then don't you think that means it can be hard to withdraw from? perhaps going cold turkey or jumping from a dose such as 1mg and over can let your body taper the rest? I dont know but it seems for many tapering does not make any difference and if anything makes it worse in the sense of withdrawals and PAWS...

I think had I jumped from 1mg and higher I still would have felt the same, it seems the WDs are the same for anybody who jumps off from bup no matter what dose, the duration and the intesnisty seems the same, if not more long and drawn out for those who jump from a tiny dose..For me I stayed on a tiny dose for several months and did another route, so I cant tell personally.

But yeah anxiety and fear seems to be mines now and then, but am still happy am off bup.
THIS IS MY IBOGA CURE LOOK.

Owen

Postby mimiluv » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:03 pm

subster58 wrote:Angela, wow 3 years, fucking congrats. awesome
Tia

Thanks, Tia!! Hardest thing I have EVER done or gone through!!
Angela
Sub Free 8/26/09 :boobshake:
Benzo free 9/6/09 Healed.
Klonopin 2013
taper 4/17-12/14/17 down to 0.025mg
Benzo free 12/15/17
mimiluv
Crazy as Hell

Postby Christina13 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:42 pm

That is so awesome Angela!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 3 years is something to be so proud of:)
Christina13

Postby Sub zero » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:26 am

My guts still give me a hard time. It's never gone away. It cycles...every few days I'll have bowel problems, then I'll get a short break where everything will be fine. I'm starting to think maybe it's an issue that was there all along, but that the opioids masked it. One more reason to realize that using wasn't all bad.
Sub free since 9/28/10
Sub zero

Postby emily » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:27 am

Sub zero wrote:My guts still give me a hard time. It's never gone away. It cycles...every few days I'll have bowel problems, then I'll get a short break where everything will be fine. I'm starting to think maybe it's an issue that was there all along, but that the opioids masked it. One more reason to realize that using wasn't all bad.

I am confused...your signature says "if i could go back and do it again i wouldn't" and the last line of your post sounds like you think using was not all that bad...how long have you been clean?
emily

Postby syd » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:50 am

If you're talking acute detox symptoms...RLS.

Mine started, when I got down to 10mg of methadone. Looking back, I should have just jumped then, instead of taking another year to get down to 5mg...jump off dose.

The disconnect, between brain & body...or PAWS, lasted around 9 mo. Not bad at all, just more annoying, than anything.

Oct. 1, will mark 5 yrs, addiction free. Looking back, 9 mo., was a small price to pay, to be where I am today.
syd

Postby ratch » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:14 pm

I think the best way to explain it.. all the symptoms eventually go away or you just get so used to them and compensate... (finding a new normal)

I don't mean to freak anyone out.. but it can sometimes take over a year. If you are young, active, or exercise a lot you can shorten that healing time dramatically. Its not etched in stone, but for most people they feel so unmotivated and "de-energized" that getting off their ass to get out of the house often enough is next to impossible or such an effort. Just grinding through life for that first year was effort enough.
It always gets better..it just takes time
ratch
Administrator

Highscores: 1

Postby Justjules13 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:36 pm

It would be great if you could trade symptoms like trading cards...
Hey Zero..trade ya my lack of motivation for your gutt issues?
Even if you fall on your face, you're still moving forward.
Victor Kiam
Pills and IV Morphine- 1985-1999
Methadone maintenance- 1999-May 23,2011 (140mg, tapering to 10 mg)
Suboxone-slow taper to zero, very minimal WD (jump date 12/9/14)
Justjules13

Postby Sub zero » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:41 pm

Justjules13 wrote:It would be great if you could trade symptoms like trading cards...
Hey Zero..trade ya my lack of motivation for your gutt issues?

Jules...motivation is a funny thing. I'll bet you $1000 that if a grizzly bear walks into your room...you'd get up off of your ass very quickly and you'd also be able to sprint a couple miles with the bear chasing you. :mrgreen:

Emily - I've been off for two years now. The whole "If I could go back and do it again...I wouldn't" phrase has multiple meanings. One - it means if I was offered the opportunity to go back in time and re-live the past decade, I wouldn't get involved with opioids again....BUT it also means quite the opposite - if I was given the chance to do the past decade over again, I would refuse the offer. I'm happy to let the past stay in the past...no regrets.
Sub free since 9/28/10
Sub zero

Postby Christina13 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:44 pm

Ugghhhh Ratch you make me sad! It could really take a year:( I can not really do a ton of exercising as I am pregnant. I was working out before we moved for about 6 months but I hadn't found a gym here then boom I am pregnant! I still am having a tough time with the energy thing. My husband has so much it KILLS me. He skateboards, plays outside for hours on end with our kids and for me it's a struggle to put the laundry away. Which is why it is spread over my kids dressers lol instead of in drawers like it use to be. Even cleaning the dishes and moping the floors seems like a lot for me. I am not sure I can wait a whole year to feel "normal" or whatever that is.......
Christina13

Postby Sub zero » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:54 pm

I wouldn't say I lack motivation. I will say that since I'm no longer on opioids, I feel much older all of a sudden. I was in my early 30's when I started using, now I'm 44. I think that after I quit...I was expecting to return to the way I felt before I got hooked. That ain't gonna happen. :thumbdown:
Sub free since 9/28/10
Sub zero

Next

Return to General