GETTING LOGGED OUT / Best way to see topics

This forum is for welcoming new members, introducing yourself, and posting things that would affect or encompass all areas of addiction. If you want to post about other things...such as sports, movies, your mean wife, lazy husband, evil kids, or how bad your dog smells... then post in the Fun Stuff/Off-Topic forum.

GETTING LOGGED OUT / Best way to see topics

Postby xenofears » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:34 am

Lately we have a bunch of people who are blaming the site because for their own web browser's functionality not being up to their standards.

When you sign up, you enter a username and a password. These are PERMANENTLY written to the site's database. They CANNOT be lost. (If you were banned from the site, you would get a banned message when you tried to log on, you cannot miss this.)

Now, your own web browser writes something called a cookie on YOUR computer for you, which is a record of your username and password, so you will be automatically logged in. It's saving you the trouble of having to re-enter it every time.

Eventually, either that cookie never gets saved in the first place (mobile browsers) or it gets purged with time (browsers only keep these things a limited time,) you have to reenter your username and password. This is how a website works to keep anyone from logging in as you! Your account wasn't "lost". You weren't banned. The site is verifying your identity. In case you forgot your password, there is a little link there that will email you a new one even, for your convenience!!

If you don't like being logged out, you need to select "log me in automatically each visit" when you log in, and you won't get logged out as long as that cookie exists. Getting logged out automatically is a FEATURE, albeit a stupid one if you ask me, how hard is it to click "logout" when you are done using the site. I have never been logged off in the middle of a post using Firefox doing the above. It may not work if your cookies aren't actually saved (i.e. mobile phones.)

It is kind of un-intuitive how it says "log me in automatically each visit," really actually means, "keep me logged in"... maybe I should change that. You will not be logged in automatically each visit if you click on "log out", you are permanently logged out until you log in again. Hope this makes sense.

EDIT: OK I changed it, now it says "Keep me logged in until I manually log out."

Also, lately we have had a PLETHORA of complaints about people using multiple usernames. Eventually, this comes to me.. is person x really person y? Is this person really that person? It's confusing and a pain. Honorable web forums do not allow people multiple user names. The mods have chosen not to really enforce this, but I am sick of hearing about it, stick to one account please! If you forget your password, there is a password recovery feature as described above. If you are still absolutely perplexed and can't get your account to work, I guess you have no choice but to make a new account, but making a new one every time your cookies get deleted is not the way to do things.

Finally, as for the slowness and lags lately with the site... hopefully Bluehost can do something about this. But Ratch needs to find the time to do it. He hasn't had the time to sleep, so... it'll get done when it gets done. I'm sorry that Bluehost isn't as fast as a dedicated server, but it's probably because we are on some outdated equipment over there.

Sorry to sound annoyed, but I built this site, and when I hear that the site is "full of bugs", it's like an insult on my work.

Thanks!
Last edited by cheeps on Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:31 am, edited 6 times in total.
Reason: sticky
Sub free 3 years. Klonopin free 1 year. 100% drug free. Feeling somewhat ok. :thumbup:
xenofears

Re: GETTING LOGGED OUT / SITE COMPLAINTS

Postby CTCheryl » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:17 am

Good for you Xeno, now maybe people will get it. Thanks for the explanation
CTCheryl

Postby Poncho » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:28 am

No insult intended for you or Ratch, just keeping you updated on the how the boards been running in case it was my :cheers2: own computer and not the site.
Poncho

Postby xenofears » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:32 am

Poncho wrote:No insult intended for you or Ratch, just keeping you updated on the how the boards been running in case it was my :cheers2: own computer and not the site.

Well the site has been running much slower (well, rather, sometimes it just kinda stalls out.) And it's a legitimate complaint.This isn't the site but the host it's on.. nothing can be done but asking them to fix it, which will hopefully happen in time.

No apologies or anything peeps cause I'm frustrated.. just figure it out now! ;)

It is kind of un-intuitive how it says "log me in automatically each visit," really actually means, "keep me logged in"... maybe I should change that. You will not be logged in automatically each visit if you click on "log out", you are permanently logged out until you log in again.
Sub free 3 years. Klonopin free 1 year. 100% drug free. Feeling somewhat ok. :thumbup:
xenofears

Postby tw15t3d » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:00 am

Don't be mad..this is how the world works, you WILL ALWAYS have people out there that won't get it no matter how hard you explain...so I wouldn't sweat it.

Thanks for having to waste your time explaining to people that still won't get it.
From Orange To Green, Sub Fecking Free: 03/17/12
tw15t3d

Postby xenofears » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:09 am

tw15t3d wrote:Thanks for having to waste your time explaining to people that still won't get it.

Well.. I've never accepted that, and it hasn't been an issue yet. If you still don't get it, ask and I will explain it again. And if you STILL don't get it, or there is some other issue with your computer that is causing problems I can't figure out, then at least stop blaming it on the site. :D
xenofears

Postby justjules1 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:10 am

I'm not sure why I can't log back in on this site after logging out...but even new pass words that are created and emailed don't work. Ratch gave me a universal password to get back in the first time it happened with my Substrate account. It's just not worth hassling him every time I get locked out. It doesn't happen on other forums....so I assumed it was a flaw at this site...
J
Even if you fall on your face you're still moving forward.
Victor Kiam
justjules1

Postby xenofears » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:15 am

justjules1 wrote:I'm not sure why I can't log back in on this site after logging out...but even new pass words that are created and emailed don't work.

I bet it's some kind of cookie conflict with your browser... maybe you need to purge your browser's cache. What's the web browser?
xenofears

Postby tw15t3d » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:20 am

Use Google Chrome...no problems here. You can actually set your browser or CrapCleaner to bypass login cookies during cleanup as well.
tw15t3d

Postby justjules1 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:54 pm

Im useing Safari on a iPad...
Even if you fall on your face you're still moving forward.
Victor Kiam
justjules1

Postby tw15t3d » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:14 pm

Never been a mac fan....have no idea.
tw15t3d

Postby BOAG » Sun Apr 01, 2012 2:20 pm

I use Safari on my Mac and iPad and have never had a problem. I've always checked the "log me in automatically" box (which I now guess says something else), but I've never been logged out from here or had a problem with my password. :shrug:
"I never thought you'd be a junkie because heroin is so passé"
BOAG
Local Fixture

Postby gillabug » Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:00 pm

When I log in.. I type in my user name and my PW automatically pops in below.. I must have set it up that way in the beginning.. But on the loosing posts? That's always been a problem both here and on the old site. Most of us are aware of it and it's just .. well it is what it is.. So after loosing so many, Now after I type more than a paragraph, I am constantly right clicking, hitting COPY, so if I do time out, all I have to do is log back on and hit paste and I am right back where I left off.

I personally want to thank you Pete/Xeno for all that you do!! :kiss:
Never make anyone a priority when all you are to them is an option...

sub free 6-2011
Oxy free 12-2011
gillabug
Global Moderator

Postby doperdog » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:24 am

gillabug wrote:When I log in.. I type in my user name and my PW automatically pops in below.. I must have set it up that way in the beginning.. But on the loosing posts? That's always been a problem both here and on the old site. Most of us are aware of it and it's just .. well it is what it is.. So after loosing so many, Now after I type more than a paragraph, I am constantly right clicking, hitting COPY, so if I do time out, all I have to do is log back on and hit paste and I am right back where I left off.

I personally want to thank you Pete/Xeno for all that you do!! :kiss:

And just how will you express your gratitude? :wiggle:
“Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.” - George Carlin
doperdog
Global Moderator

Postby 620tcat » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:45 am

justjules1 wrote:I'm not sure why I can't log back in on this site after logging out...but even new pass words that are created and emailed don't work. Ratch gave me a universal password to get back in the first time it happened with my Substrate account. It's just not worth hassling him every time I get locked out. It doesn't happen on other forums....so I assumed it was a flaw at this site...
J

So you are Substrate ? I was wondering what happened to him/her. OK can we please all just have one name ? It is so confusing to try and keep up with this muli-name stuff. It makes it seem like people are not sincere or trolling when you have more than one name.

Maybe if we had a list of everyone and their "names" we could all get along better. I don't post to the noobs because I never know who is sincere and who has more than one name. It really makes it unfair to someone that comes here looking for support. Think of how you felt when you were at the brink of detox. It is a scary place to be.
Anyone with more than one name is quite frankly selfish and IMO should go join a different support group.

I am not blaming you Jules13 and anyone else that has more than one username, think of this as a request for peace and happiness and an attempt for me to keep what little sanity I have left. :D
620tcat
Executive Member

Postby sky pilot » Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:40 pm

did someone say cookies I like peanut butter!!!......w/ milk
sky pilot

Postby cheeps » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:34 pm

Hello peeps...some of us mods are aware of odd script on the top of the pages and log in issues.

Working on it....if the place goes poof...email me@

cheeps4u@yahoo.com
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby ratch » Thu Dec 24, 2015 9:17 am

All fixed
ratch
Administrator

Highscores: 1

Postby subster58 » Thu Dec 24, 2015 8:28 pm

Ratch and everyone, I am so happy the site is back up, so thank you so much for all you do to keep this forum running. It's a GODSEND to me and I am very grateful to you all.
Love you
Tia,,,,, yipppeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee :kiss: :kiss:
subsucker free 4-30-12
One Hour at a time
subster58

How to see what's getting posted.

Postby cheeps » Tue Sep 27, 2016 10:36 am

If you aren't very familiar with this forum, one way to keep up with the active threads is to use the....

View Active Topics link in the middle of the front page.

That way you can see each thread that's being used. Also if you click on the tiny box after the last users post....it takes you to that last post....but if it's been a day or two since you read the thread you need to click on the last page number so you don't miss something.

Hope this helps. :D
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Return to General