Please Help ~ Suboxone Taper

If there is an issue that you really need to discuss, that you feel needs URGENT attention regarding some type of medical/recovery problem, this is the place for it..

Please Help ~ Suboxone Taper

Postby GettingOffSubASAP » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:20 am

I just found this website and I'm so thankful for the incredible people and advice on here. I wanted to get personal advice/help so I've created my own post. I will try to make this as short as possible.
~ I'm 26
~ When I was about 20 I got addicted to oxys for a few months (never touched drugs before or after this point in my life)
~ A friend suggest suboxone and without doing proper research I began to take it after 24 hours of severe opiate withdrawals.
~ I have been on suboxone about 5 years and have been dying to get off for just as long but I've read such horrible stories that I'm terrified to stop because I'm terrified of the withdrawals and the supposed psychological issues that follow!
~ I currently take about 1mg per day (¾ in morning and ¼ at night) and I've been at around this dose for over a year. I was never on more than 2mg per day.
~ when I take my dose late bc I'm very busy, I immediately feel extreme anxiety and my heart races and I feel terrible.
~ I tried to stop cold turkey twice and the withdrawals were unbearable. I had extreme anxiety, heart racing, couldn't sleep, had restless legs, felt like I wanted to jump out of my skin...
~ I have a fear of doctors and hospitals and of pain and am currently dealing with horrible tooth ache which is what is pushing me to get off suboxone once and for all. Im always terrified that something painful will happen and that nothing will be able to alleviate the pain bc I'm on suboxone.

PLEASE HELP ME. I want to taper off and get off ASAP I feel like suboxone has been controlling my life for 5 years. I don't know where to start and I'm terrified of withdrawals. I've read many different tips and meds that help with withdrawals on different forums but I honestly don't know where to start.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read this
GettingOffSubASAP

Re: Please Help ~ Suboxone Taper

Postby Eyedotz » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:09 pm

Welcome to the site.

First off, I get worried when someone says "I want to taper off asap". The whole point of tapering is to let your body adjust throughout drops. You also state you are terrified of w/d's and had extreme anxiety....If you taper quickly like you say...then w/d's and anxiety are unavoidable.

I am on day 87 off subs from tapering to .03mg. I was on subs for 13 years. My taper took 9 months from 4-6mg a day. If you are already on 1mg.....then you are most of the way there. I can help you taper if you decide to taper like I did. Some of the mods on this site can assist with quicker tapers. I stick to what I know....slow and low.

I walked off with 95% no withdrawal, no cravings, no depression (other than learning how to live life differently).

Please let me know how I may help. Nice to meet you!
~dotz
Eyedotz Spotify playlist (EDM Detox Mix)
https://open.spotify.com/user/eyedotz/p ... luHItCVAiQ
13 Year Sub survivor - Jumped at .03mg after 9 month taper from 4-6mg.
JUMP DATE MARCH 18th, 2016

Forgive yourself for not knowing what you didn't know before you learned it.
Eyedotz

Postby cheeps » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:18 pm

I'll be back later to give my input....gotta run t town
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby cheeps » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:14 pm

I know you're busy but you need to understand that we are here to support tapers like edotz has shared above.

You need to know you are living the horror story, you are overly fearful because you are in it. It doesn't have to be this way.

Just breathe and calm yourself. You are in the right place but have much to learn on the best ways to avoid the horrors!
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby GettingOffSubASAP » Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:52 pm

Oh my gosh. Thank you both so much for responding!
Eyedotz - I meant I want to start and be done with this ASAP but I am absolutely willing to put in the time to do this right and in a safe way so that hopefully I'm not left with nasty side effects. I've read about horrible depression and withdrawals that lasted months and those stories are the ones that keep me just terrified enough, not to even attempt to detox.
It's weird but I honestly feel better already, having posted here where I know people understand what I'm going through and having reviewed your response.
Side note: Nobody in my life knows I'm on suboxone or dealing with any of this aside from my best friend and boyfriend and I know they'll both do anything and everything to help me through this. I know that I have to be the one to find the plan and do the work though. Of course the idea of having people who have been through this and are okay and continuing their lives, supporting me as well would be incredible for me.
GettingOffSubASAP

Postby cheeps » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:15 pm

Well, we are here. There are many peeps here that had the patience to do a prolonged taper.

Much of any opiate detox has got acute withdrawal. Comfort meds used judiciously alleviate this. The mental seems t be your issue. Understandably!!

The good news for you is that you've tapered to a lower dose already and you seem what we call physically stabilized. It is now on you to find the mental stabilization. Education is critical at this point.

I'm going to direct you to some threads where success was fairly easy. Sure, it's a mental process but it's simply the brain chemicals try to reach homeostasis after a long bout with fake chemicals ...opiates.

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2902
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2722
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2944
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3233
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3286
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby Eyedotz » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:59 pm

One of the reasons I was on sub for 13 years is because of the 'fear'. The thing about tapering the proper way you get so used of feeling the way you do that the fear becomes distant and gets replaced with wanting to move on. Yes, tapering is uncomfortable. I didn't sleep as much as a normal human being. I averaged about 4-5 hours for the lower part of taper. You need to accept this. You need to accept that you will feel like shit....for a while. You will be tired, unmotivated and lazy. This is all part of the plan. Once you accept and embrace the 'shittiness' the fear will subside and be replaced with strength. By the time I jumped, my body felt such relief....I actually felt better...

Do you have access to 2mg strips or just 2mg pills? Do you have a sub doctor who would prescribe strips for the taper?

Eyedotz

Postby GettingOffSubASAP » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:59 pm

I have sub strips only - says 8mg/2mg on them
I have about 15 left (each one lasts just over a week)
To be completely honest as I have been and will always be here: I get the strips from a friends brother who doesn't use his so I don't have to worry about prescriptions or limits etc. I hope that ends up being a positive thing?
I know myself and I know that once I start this, I am not stopping. I am going to go through with this and be done with suboxone forever. I just need the support from people like you who understand and have actually been through this successfully.
In regards to withdrawals - did you take any sleeping pills or relaxation meds or heavy doses of vitamins or anything else? I've seen so much advice etc which includes vitamins/other meds and as long as they're not dangerous or addictive I'm willing to try anything to get off of this
GettingOffSubASAP

Postby GettingOffSubASAP » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:04 pm

Side note: an even bigger reason for me wanting to get off, aside from not needing to be on this at all, aside from the terrifying fear of something happening where I need pain med and not being able to receive it, I want to get off mostly because of what suboxone has done to me psychologically. Ive changed from an extremely outgoing person who is always out and sleeps 4 hours a night to someone who if I was able to, I would sleep all day.
No depression thank god but I am always tired and always up for a nap or to sleep in and I care less about everything in my life. It's crazy. I push myself to be extremely social and hide all these things from everyone and it's great that I do otherwise I don't know what would become of me. That's my side effect from suboxone. And my withdrawals come in the form of extreme anxiety and racing heart and restlessness and not being able to sleep.
Now you have the whole entire picture :-)
GettingOffSubASAP

Postby GettingOffSubASAP » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:10 pm

I am scared yes but if you tell me that those sleepless and unconfortable days will be very temporary... I can do it. I know each person is different but so you remember how long those days lasted for you? How long it took to feel "normal" again?
GettingOffSubASAP

Postby Eyedotz » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:32 pm

I was one of the people that did this mostly comfort med free. I did not need them. I am a huge fan of 5 hour energy's in the morning because otherwise I wouldn't get anything done (they have a cup's worth of caffeine and a shit ton of B vitamins). I also took ibuprofen and/or melatonin at night to help my body relax. I take a multivitamin for women. I find that a lot of people try to treat symptoms before they get them...I personally would wait and see which symptoms pop up and treat accordingly. You shouldn't treat every irritating symptom that pops up...only treat the ones that you can't handle. Addicts tend to over-medicate because we don't like to feel uncomfortable. Being uncomfortable is name of the game here...we need to pay the piper and set our addiction into remission. Being in control is the only way to beat the fear and anxiety.

It would be best if you have the 2mg strips but I understand your situation and we'll deal with it. Do a test for me? Take an one of the 1mg pieces of your strip and a razor blade/tweezers and cut that fucker in as many even pieces as you can. Tell me how many.... For example, when I was down to my final .03mg I was taking a piece the size of an eyelash....I mean get them ridiculously small. You will not believe how strong this shit is even at that size! I'm trying to figure out how low you can taper on this strip. At least try to get 10+ pieces if you can.

Here are the basics of my taper (it will be more difficult on the 8mg but we'll deal). Deduct 10% of current dose every 10-14 days. Do not spike. Split dosing is fine as it worked great for me so I could sleep at night. Around day 3-5 you will feel the effects of the drop...this is when you will be most likely to have sleep issues, extra anxiety trying to sleep, stomach issues, etc. Once the dose levels out you should start feeling better on day 6-7. Ride this out for another few days/week and let the sub continue to unwind from your system. Drop again. This is a long process but it pays off in a MILLION ways. The fear I felt in the years before was gone once I began this methodical tapering schedule. Doing this slow will let your brain/emotions/body adjust along the way so there will be no shock to your system.

Again, you need to embrace being uncomfortable. You need to change your way of thinking as well. It sounds fucked up BUT...instead of saying "oh, this sucks and I can't sleep" you say, "Yep, another shitty day on this sub taper and I probably won't sleep tonight again". Do not get mad at your self for not sleeping well. Just stay up really late until you KNOW you can catch a few Z's. I regularly went to bed at 2-2:30am every night and woke up at 6. You will be tired. Tired will not kill you. I do have some relaxation techniques when you get to that point.

Another thought change I used was: Instead of saying "I can't wait for this to be over...I'm so tired of being tired and feeling like lazy shit all the time" you say, "Yep, here comes another shitty day of feeling like shit, oh fucking well...bring it on"! You wouldn't believe how much easier this shit becomes.

I stay on these forums as part of my recovery. I'm almost 3 months off and I want people to learn that fear is JUST a feeling....you can't let it define you!
Last edited by Eyedotz on Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eyedotz

Postby Eyedotz » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:42 pm

GettingOffSubASAP wrote:I am scared yes but if you tell me that those sleepless and unconfortable days will be very temporary... I can do it. I know each person is different but so you remember how long those days lasted for you? How long it took to feel "normal" again?

I felt normal very quickly...when I jumped I kept waiting for the other shoe to drop. It never did. I was sleeping 6.5-7.5 hours by the end of my first week. I am experiencing some slight physical PAWS symptoms but I hopefully it will rectify soon. After 20 years on long term maintenance drugs I've developed Silent reflux. It seems to be a rebound system shock thing...my stomach/gastro system was slowed for so long now its over compensating. I also went through a stage a month ago in where I just feel 'blah' and uninterested. I've been pushing myself to exercise every day and it has helped immensely.

As far as the tapering goes...days 3-6 seem to be the most uncomfortable but you do adjust. I promise you. Every adjustment/drop you do...you will feel stronger and more confident. You got this shit.

Eyedotz

Postby GettingOffSubASAP » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:13 pm

(Posted this but It disappeared, rewriting and reposting)
Holy shit. Thank you so much for that.
First - Huge congratulations on getting off! I can't wait to be where you are. I am willing to do anything to get off this.
Yes what you describe DOES sound like a fkd up way of thinking lol but I can 100% understand the need for that mentality in order to get through the most hellish part of this and I'm absolutely going to adopt that way of thinking.
I'm going to cut up my suboxone strip and get right back to you with that info.
GettingOffSubASAP

Postby GettingOffSubASAP » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:15 pm

Ok my 8mg strip cuts down to:
1 mg
0.5 mg
0.25 mg
0.125 mg
0.0625 mg
I don't think it can go down to any less while still remaining visible :)
You mentioned a 10% taper every 10-14 days. So I shouldn't be splitting it up like I have above... I just halved each little tiny slice until I could no more.
GettingOffSubASAP

Postby GettingOffSubASAP » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:20 pm

So, it's ok to split the dose between morning and night?
If it's better not to, I won't. I would prefer to take at night so I could sleep a little (I think)
GettingOffSubASAP

Postby GettingOffSubASAP » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:28 pm

I always rip tiny pieces off every morning and night
Now that I cut everything up and see the sizes, I realize I am at less than 1mg per day
I seem to be taking about 1/2mg in the morning (bit less) and about ¼ (bit less) every night
Shit. I'm going to cut up from now on so I actually know wtf I am doing
GettingOffSubASAP

Postby Eyedotz » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:34 pm

No, that's good. I wanted to see how small you can get the cuts on the 8mg strips.... Pretty damn good! .06mg is impressive. I really think you'd be fine jumping at .12mg though. For me, anything lower felt like Chinese water torture and I honestly felt no different.

Your first drop should be to .9mg. Or at least close to it. Get one of those pill cases with the 7 day supply slots. Cut all the doses up and store them so you don't have to mess with during the week. Yes, split dosing works best in my opinion. :)

Congratulations on your decision to taper! Don't you feel just a LITTLE bit less afraid? That's the first step.

Yeah, shit disappears all the time...you will often hear people say 'shit....I lost everything'...(right subterfuge? haha)! Creating a draft in word helps... I'll be off site for a couple hours but I'll check in when I get back. Feel free to private message me if you need to. It will ding my phone.

Eyedotz

Postby Eyedotz » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:35 pm

Even better that your at less! Take 10% off that!

Eyedotz

Postby cheeps » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:19 pm

Everyone has different ways to measure the shit....the main thing is never to make cuts that are too big. Make cuts after 10-14 days....your physical self will tell you when it's reached homeostasis. Split dose if you need to sleep. It's better to dose in a way that you keep up with being consistent.

So....in the big scheme of things....it doesn't matter how much you are on....that's hard to guess when you are using eyelashes. So use that method and be slow and don't spike!

Ok....here's the test on YOU being in control of this taper. No one is going to stop you....so this is a test simply to give your overactive mind a break.

The sub half life is long. You may have noticed that you can go extra time without dosing. Subs half life is 48-64 hours...meaning if you take one mg of sub at noon today, tomorrow at this time you should still have half the dose in your system. It is what we call a long acting opiate (LAO). While you may think you feel wds....at 24 hours, you simply don't....you can go up to 72 hours....most people have found it takes 3 full days before they really go into wds.

The test is withholding your dose for 48+ hours. Now, at anytime during this test you want to....you can dose. You have that control. Some people need to find out this way that wds just don't happen. Your subconscious, we call it Freddy the fucker....well ole Freddy is the one who convinces you....oh btw...his dogs name is anxiety...Freddy convinces you that you neeeeed that sub. STFU Freddy, you bastard!
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby GettingOffSubASAP » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:32 pm

Lol! Freddy the Fucker! You just made my day with that lol. Love it.
The funny thing is that I DO go into withdrawals super quickly... Most days I'm so busy that I don't take suboxone u till I realize physically that I'm past my dosing time.
I start yawning incessantly
I get anxious and pissy and edgy
Then I realize "oh right, I need suboxone now"
That's how I realized that this isn't a psychological dependence, that I'm physically addicted to this shit.
GettingOffSubASAP

Next

Return to Crisis Forum