Mindfulness exercise may help with craving

"Staying Clean" a place to share how you stay clean or got clean

Mindfulness exercise may help with craving

Postby cheeps » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:30 pm

The Physics of Love

Adapted from Henry Grayson, Ph.D.

Inner peace. We all want it but it’s a tricky thing to achieve. Mindfulness is learning to watch what is happening to you in thought, word and deed. Observing what is going on inside gives you some control over what you allow to stick around in your mind. See your ego as an energy-sucking parasite that tries to circumvent you from your true nature of being a loving being connected to Universal Love. The ego is based in fear and triggers your defense mechanisms which disturb your peace and keep you separate from others, God and your Real Self.

Psychologist Henry Grayson, in The New Physics of Love, gives a neat exercise on how to break in and challenge unhealthy thoughts which disturb your peace. His exercise helps you to remain aware and conscious of the habitual, negative thoughts that drift through your mind and then CHOOSE to change to a more positive direction.

First you take data to see how the ego keeps you caught in unhappy thoughts. Carry an index card around with you and make a check mark each time you have a thought which disturbs your inner peace. Catch yourself making yourself unhappy! Make a check mark each time you have frustration, judgment, anger, worries, fears or guilt thoughts. Do this procedure for several days to determine the quantity of time you spend in negative thinking.

The Five-Step Thought Monitoring Exercise

1. When your inner peace is disturbed, take a deep breath and center yourself. Ask

yourself, “What was I just thinking that could have caused my disturbance?”

2. Say to yourself, “There goes one of those ego thoughts, specifically designed to disturb me.”

Use the words “those” and do not claim the thought as being one of your own by using the pronoun “I”. See the disturbing thought as coming from the pesky ego that tries to disturb your peace. This helps you distinguish between your True Self and the Ego which takes you away from the loving being that you really are.

3. Focus on what you want.

Remind yourself, “What I focus on will surely increase—as my inner experience, as my outer experience, or usually both.”

Ask yourself, “Do I want this thing I am thinking about to increase? For if I focus on it, it surely will!”

4. Dismiss the disturbing thought with a strong action word:

I cancel this thought.

I throw out this thought.

I banish this thought.

I delete this thought.

5. Fill the space left by the thought being removed by again taking a deep breath and say a loving affirmation:

I love and forgive myself for having this thought.

I can be happy and worthy of achieving peace.

Ahhh---Peace and love.

We are our thoughts! Our thoughts determine the reality that we live. We can take the negative and transform it into a positive if we are mindful. We are given free will and can take charge of our peace.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Re: Mindfulness exercise may help with craving

Postby wastedtime » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:02 am

I have some hypnosis tapes that i got from a quit smoking hypnosis class.Thereare several cds and one is getting motivated to exercise.i am not gonna lie,i havnt got motivated enought to listen to that one yet,but maybe something like that could help.You can copy the cds and i wouldnt mind making you one if you want.There is also weight loss cds and depression i believe in the package.I need a weight gain cd,but it didnt come with that!Oh man,now i see this is an old post,but if any one is interested in getting a copy,let me know.I wouldnt mind making copies.Goldie
wastedtime

Postby CTCheryl » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:18 am

wastedtime wrote:I have some hypnosis tapes that i got from a quit smoking hypnosis class.Thereare several cds and one is getting motivated to exercise.i am not gonna lie,i havnt got motivated enought to listen to that one yet,but maybe something like that could help.You can copy the cds and i wouldnt mind making you one if you want.There is also weight loss cds and depression i believe in the package.I need a weight gain cd,but it didnt come with that!Oh man,now i see this is an old post,but if any one is interested in getting a copy,let me know.I wouldnt mind making copies.Goldie

LOL, I love that, getting up the motivation to even listen to a tape!! My kind of person!!!
CTCheryl

Postby cheeps » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:31 pm

Last bumped by cheeps on Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:31 pm.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Return to Staying Clean