Tools for Relapse Prevention

"Staying Clean" a place to share how you stay clean or got clean

Tools for Relapse Prevention

Postby syd » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:51 am

Why is it most all of us relapse while trying to get clean? What is so hard about staying clean?

It's because few have the tools needed to recognize that a relapse starts in the mind before it actually manifest in the physical. Some one, some thing triggers us on a mental/ emotional level. It can be anything from a song on the radio to something more serious, like losing your job. We addicts celebrate by getting high, as much as we medicate, to deal with the bad stuff. Plain ole BOREDOM will take you down quicker than most life events, tho.

The list below, was taken from SMART Recovery's web site. I personally used SMART in my own recovery and I can tell you it does work. You have to be willing to do some self analysis and question which of your thoughts are rational and which are irrational. If you fix your head, you will cure your addiction.

This not a read only. You MUST take the time to think about the questions and WRITE down the answers, if you want it work. Yes, it requires action on your part.

1. What was the trigger that caused you to use?
2. How were you feeling just before you felt like drinking or drugging?
3. What were you telling yourself just before you started to drink or drug? (Look for additional, hidden thoughts.)
4. What did you do?
5. Which thoughts led to which addictive feelings and behaviors?
6. What was the chain of thoughts, feelings, and actions?
7. What could you have told yourself?
8. What could you have done?
9. What emotions could you have pushed yourself to feel?
10. How do you feel now about what happened?

SMART is not a higher power program. It's a program of Self Empowerment. You dont have to go to meetings. But you can, if you live in a city that has a local chapter.

Cant or dont wanna go to rehab?
You can get everything you need at SMART's website. Find more tools under the Resources tab, at the top of the home page. They even cover how to deal with anxiety :cheers:

http://www.smartrecovery.org/
syd

Re: Tools for Relapse Prevention

Postby cheeps » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:27 pm

Ive gone back to a therapist just this last week. The work is ongoing....I felt like I needed some CBT Cognitive Behavior Therapy to help me with any negative triggers. Anxiety nags me at times.

Here is self help on this too.

http://www.getselfhelp.co.uk/docs/SelfHelpCourse.pdf
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby jwmann2 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:33 am

Usually because either you haven't effectively addressed or haven't given enough time to address whatever co-occurring disorder you have in your life. Learning to treat and live with your depression, anxiety, personality disorder or PTSD is what will keep you clean. The 85% relapse rate after leaving treatment is very high and very real. But I'm a firm believer that it's part of the learning process and relapsing can make you better in the long run. I definitely think 45-90 day rehab stays are more beneficial for everyone. I don't think 30 days is an effective enough time period to treat mental conditions. My two cents anyway.
jwmann2

Postby syd » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:08 pm

jwmann not everyone has the means to go to rehab.

With an 85% relapse rate, why spend your money in rehab when we give the same info here at SubSux for FREE?

Our success rate is much better, too.

Keep coming back. IT Works! :D
syd

Postby cheeps » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:15 pm

Syd...you are a fucking riot. :laughpound: :popcorn:

Yep jwman, long term treatment is good shit but unless One has major money, it's a heartbreaking feeling when a person figures out they can't afford it. I remember back when I had to get off the methadone I searched and fucking SEARCHED for a place to detox...every decent place had two price tags, one was the actual money, the other was the 12 step program they insisted a person take part in...way too steep.

The good news is that there are many decent detox places out there now that don't have rehab attached to them....and more rehabs that have 12 step programs will leave a good atheist alone.

Now, we just need big fucking billboards that say:

Did you know that you CAN get off drugs without 12step rehab??

So....here we are, accept us...just for today. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Return to Staying Clean