The Real Cause of Addiction

"Staying Clean" a place to share how you stay clean or got clean

The Real Cause of Addiction

Postby cheeps » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:13 pm

It is now one hundred years since drugs were first banned -- and all through this long century of waging war on drugs, we have been told a story about addiction by our teachers and by our governments. This story is so deeply ingrained in our minds that we take it for granted. It seems obvious. It seems manifestly true. Until I set off three and a half years ago on a 30,000-mile journey for my new book, Chasing The Scream: The First And Last Days of the War on Drugs, to figure out what is really driving the drug war, I believed it too. But what I learned on the road is that almost everything we have been told about addiction is wrong -- and there is a very different story waiting for us, if only we are ready to hear it.

If we truly absorb this new story, we will have to change a lot more than the drug war. We will have to change ourselves.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/johann-ha ... 06936.html
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
2017 Oxy taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Re: The Real Cause of Addiction

Postby Neil » Sat May 02, 2015 6:45 pm

Hi Cheeps, I knew there was something about you when I first started reading your posts and now that I have read most of them, I know what it is! I get the impression you are inquisitive, your mind is open, and you have a lot of knowledge and experience with life and hardship. Like you and many of the people that visit this site every day, I have had more than my share of heartbreak and pain and I am always searching for kind souls and people that don't accept everything the spin doctors and advertisers dish up to us with ever increasing frequency.

The book, "Chasing The Scream" has helped me to understand what it was that was beneath my years of drug use. I'm not saying it explains everything because we are all different, but I for one felt a very strong sense of abandonment and lack of connection with people, that I thought at the time, should have shown that they cared. And when I felt a strong lack of connection (bonding) , I turned to Heroin and Alcohol to form the bonds that I didn't have with significant people such as parents, family and friends. That could sound like it was clear to me at the time what I was doing, it wasn't. It is only with hindsight and a small amount of knowledge that I can see that I wasn't in "Rat Park" I was in "Rat Hell". My aim now is to always strive to be in "Rat Park" by seeking out kind relationships, bonding with people, taking care of myself and rejecting things, people, relationships etc that are not good for me. This is not easy to say and it is not easy to do, but I get the sense that it is very important for me if I want to have a better more hope filled life post Suboxone.

The "100 Year War on Drugs" and the commonly believed and most often told BULLSHIT about addiction being a moral or "lack of backbone" issue is just embarrassing! I have the book "Chasing the scream by Johann Harri and whilst I have thought that the so called "War on Drugs" is a sad and pathetic lie for a long time, it is just really good to see it all laid out with such compelling stories and scientific rigor. One of the other things I am interested in and reading about is the role of Pharmaceutical companies and the medical profession. Please don't think I am tarring everyone involved with the one brush because I am not, there are good and well meaning people in all walks of life and I have met plenty of doctors with informed and progressive ideas. It is the ones that just don't have the lived experience or the desire to understand more than what the pharmaceutical rep tells me that bother me. I would say to anyone that is on so called Opiate Maintenance therapy or some such bullshit description, if your not already doing it, get educated, read as much as you can here and elsewhere because knowledge is hugely helpful when you are caught up in a pharmaceutical nightmare like I have been.

Thank you so much for posting this link Cheeps. I am really enjoying emerging from the fog and learning new ways to do things and to view and understand things.

Like many of the reviewers of this book have said, this book should be lesson 101 for all politicians that say that they are genuinely interested in doing something real and positive about drugs and addiction of any description and for all lawmakers and people involved in treating drug effected people. This book doesn't just help to inform students, lawmakers, and other interested people, it helps to inform the most important people, the good people that have used lots of drugs but are looking to do things differently now and STOP! As they say, "Do yourself a favor and read the book"

Keep it coming!!!

Peace
"KEEP GOING"
Neil

Postby cheeps » Sat May 02, 2015 9:38 pm

Neil....I have yet to read the book, Chasing the Scream.(I have read Gabor Mate's books and think he is brilliant.) After reading that great article in Feb this year, I thought back to the detox I had in Nov/Dec 2014. The place had two separate areas for smoking...men's and women's. A person could go anytime. Everyone in that place smoked. I chose to use that time to quit. (Unless I'm on opiates....I don't crave a cigarette.) I noticed that I did not Bond to any of the younger women. Normally I do.

When I got home, I had no urge to smoke unless my roommate smoked. What better way to bond than with a foul treat like that!

I ordered the book, Bad Pharma. I had to put it down for a while because it is so disheartening. It's worse than the story of Ike Eisenhower losing his life because of heart disease brought on by the medical establishment backed by, (you guessed it), big pharma!!!

The Greed of the medical establishment and big pharma is killing us. Here is more on the Portugal story. After shoving the ACA through here in America, I doubt seriously that we could ever get the mental/medical health care like Portugal is investing in. :lolno:

http://www.attn.com/stories/995/portugal-drug-policy
http://mic.com/articles/110344/14-years ... -happening

Knowing what we know now about technology, social media, addiction, bonding, and the human condition, what would life be like if we took away everyone's phone? Of course, it would be funny as HELL to start with Law Enforcement first. :lol: :lol:

I enjoyed your reply and it inspired me to go back and fix the first post with a set up of the article. Now I'm going to have to find the book. I've been shying away from all bookstores as that is why I'm currently broke as Babe's bat. :gaah: :gaah:

It is very nice to find a kindred spirit in this thread. Thank you! :D
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby amery2u » Wed May 06, 2015 7:42 am

OMIGOSH,
CHEEPS,...i just FOUND this thread; somehow! NEIL, awesome post; awesome INSIGHT!~ AMAZING info here~!~!~! and, I furthered (or one-upped it) and went the the FB website "Chasing the Scream," and there I found an AMAZING comment (short novel) by Jesse Bogner. He is an author as well; Majored in Creative Writing. READ HIS FB POST on the CtS website, if you have time! EVERY BODY ... ANYBODY ~!!! Another book i'm gonna hafta invest in. HAY i'm not BROKE from buying SUBS anymore; I DESERVE THIS~~~!!!! Gonna hafta share this info with SobRecNYC as well, and maybe.....NOOTS? ( if I can ever FIND him again.) Damn, i shoulda posted this in MY thread. maybe Cheeps can post the hyperlinK ABOVE in my jump-thread for me?!? Don't yet quite know how to do that. Took me 3 tries each, to reply to my own pm's's replies. Kept losing 'em, bcz even tho I hit "submit," it was still going to preview. Had to go to BOTTOM again and hit "Submit." Who'd'a thunk? LoL
Thanks AGAIN, Cheeps~!
Anne :)
ps: Hope all is well, Neil !
Sub-Free Since Easter Sunday~ 4/11/2015 . . and still truckin~..~
amery2u

Postby cheeps » Thu May 07, 2015 10:12 pm

Anne....I've been reading the book. Order it....it is EXCELLENT!!
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby starting_over » Fri May 08, 2015 12:50 am

Wow! So glad I stumbled upon this little gem! Cheepers, I, too, love to educate myself on the truth that lies behind the veil of what mass media, politicians, FDA, USDA, and all the others tell us. Especially because it's not just about me--I have this tiny little person looking to me for guidance and I need to be educated and hip to what is REALLY going on in the world so that I can teach my daughter not to be paranoid, but just be aware and examine life with a critical eye. What is really scary to me is how many CHILDREN are being treated with meds nowadays, which I believe starts the vicious cycle of telling the brain and body that it "needs" something in order to function. Don't get me wrong, I know certain types of meds are necessary after all other avenues have been exhausted, but it is sad how there is a go-to pill for every thing. It's funny, I JUST got done reading something about 15 min ago about sub, and how numerous people on sub maintenance start to experience depression, loss of sex drive, isolate, well, we all know what that's about. Anyway, it was a doctor stating that there was NO correlation between sub and the same effects, at about the same amount of time on sub, for several people! :gaah: :banghead: :blowme:

I definitely want to check out that book when school is over and can actually read something because I want to read it. Sometimes I go a little overboard and completely torture myself with documentaries and articles about real life horrors and I, too, need to take a step back at times.

Great thread cheeps! Thanks for sharing!
starting_over

Postby starting_over » Fri May 08, 2015 1:02 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

starting_over

Postby cheeps » Fri May 08, 2015 9:18 am

Kracky Kremes!!!!! :laughpound: :laughpound: :laughpound:
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby starting_over » Fri May 08, 2015 9:22 am

cheeps wrote:Kracky Kremes!!!!! :laughpound: :laughpound: :laughpound:

That's funny shit, right? "Do you go to sleep at night, and wake up in the morning???"

:laughpound: :!: :!: :!:
starting_over

Postby Neil » Sat May 09, 2015 7:30 pm

Hi Cheeps, sorry about the late response, my memory is really bad sometimes. I really like this thread because even though it can be disheartening (reading about how wrong things have been) . I mean wherever you are on this planet, other than a couple of brave and enlightened places, we are still getting the tired old crap about "The War on Drugs", Fuck, talk about wringing the absolute crap out of what was a a completely flawed idea in the first place. I know it's a complex problem but surely if something not only doesn't work but continues to get worse and worse it has got to, at some point, be replaced with more truth and an honest desire to see the problem start to be accepted and challenged in a different way.

So, three things really, One- the "War on Drugs" is lost and was lost from the start. I suppose you can't blame people for trying to control things with Law and Order and a prohibition policy approach. But, and its a big But, It should have been recognized as a failure a long time ago and we as a society should have changed direction on this ages ago. I'm not saying , open slather on everything but surely removing the profit and crime component would be a massive improvement. Take the politics out of it, I am so sick of hearing politicians bang on about the need for more and more resources being needed for outdated and stupid policies. (I live in a different country to some of you but it is similar in a lot of ways)

Two - The big pharmaceutical companies are not to be trusted and shouldn't have anywhere near the power that they do. They need to be much more accountable and they need to be stopped from having such a negative effect on the health system generally. I'm kind of ashamed to say that I partly believed they were there to help society. They are not, they exist to make as much money as they possibly can and they use some absolutely dishonest and disgusting practices to achieve there goals.

Three - We need to get away from the old ideas about drug addiction. I love reading about the theories that explain addictive behavior in a progressive and positive way because it gives me a lot of hope that treatments and programs etc will improve in the future. I loved reading about the rat experiments and the examples they give of soldiers that were heavy users of opiates in a war situation not continuing on with their use if they could have all there needs met when they got home. Very interesting indeed!!!

Love the ideas here

N
Last edited by Neil on Fri May 15, 2015 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"KEEP GOING"
Neil

Postby cheeps » Sat May 09, 2015 8:25 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Pharma

This what I've almost finished...I started it last year but got so pissed off that I had to put it down. One of the things in life that gets to me is distortion to better serve greed. :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back & Neck surgeries
Oxy free 12/06/14
More surgeries 2016-17
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby amery2u » Thu May 14, 2015 9:57 am

DAMNNNNN, Cheeps~
Such incredible info here..... I'M JUST STARTING "CHASING THE SCREAM" . . . ALL THIS IS JUST "WOW"~
Sub-Free Since Easter Sunday~ 4/11/2015 . . and still truckin~..~
amery2u

Postby Neil » Fri May 15, 2015 5:44 pm

Hi Cheeps, I finished Bad Pharma. I agree, it's great to know but it's also depressing. Another example of profit being put before the interests of people.

N
"KEEP GOING"
Neil

Postby chadderall » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:31 am

awesome reads.
chadderall

Return to Staying Clean