where does this go?

Please post, share, or read your personal story here

where does this go?

Postby subspouse » Sat May 28, 2016 8:34 am

I am currently looking for information about sub use during pregnancy..coming up on a year without mom on subs. entered public school system. have early intervention services thru state. continuing summer services in july, after visit with mom.
start over....we spent the first 10 days of life in the nicu..tapering morphine for what i was told a "botched epidral" shoulda been my sign right there....fast forward 4 years later she refused 90 day in-patient help after 2 detoxes several back slides..
my original point, does anyone know long term effects of sub during pregnancy???
subspouse

Re: where does this go?

Postby cheeps » Sat May 28, 2016 10:22 am

Ok, I'm still confused...

We've had several pregnant women on methadone and bupe but other than researching for a bit in other forums, I don't know that we have much knowledge on the subject.

Are you asking about the baby or the mother? Baby?
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby subspouse » Sat May 28, 2016 5:35 pm

baby,,, toddler now have diagnosed conditions lingering, hoping change in environment would "cure" symptoms. hate to medicate a 5 year old but behavior has plateaued and more intervention seems necessary.
subspouse

Postby cheeps » Sat May 28, 2016 9:32 pm

So.'five year old or four. What's going on?
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby subspouse » Sun May 29, 2016 7:03 am

turned 5 may 20. he is receiving help thru early intervention program in school system. gross motor and fine motor skills.....having speech issues also......his social skills are terrible. when we first started the thinking was any "damage' was environmental, having never been in peer to peer contact other than a few cousins. constantly on his tip toes and absolutely refuses to poop until its almost too late. following visits to mom he is rebellious(to be expected). he is very high functioning, intelligent but cant tell me what he ate for lunch. not looking for something to blame........just info to guide me to help him if damage was done during pregnancy.cant spell inutero
subspouse

Postby syd » Sun May 29, 2016 10:08 am

No one has ever presented a problem such as this here and it's quite interesting. I'm pretty good at finding govt studies/clinical trials, but it can take days and days to filter thru. I have company coming and will be tied up, as far as researching this, until later next week. I'll see what I can find for you, asap.

As to his being rebellious after visits with mom...why do you think that is?
Is he just allowed to do whatever at her house and you have more structure?
syd

Postby subspouse » Sun May 29, 2016 10:45 am

thank you syd. and precisely on the rebellion and not surprised. she continues to attend the clinic and most likely allows him to do whatever whenever he wants. yes very much structured here. came home this time with "i don't like you" added to his vocabulary.......of course i don't care, told him he did not have to but you will follow the rules.
subspouse

Postby syd » Sun May 29, 2016 11:32 am

Did a quick search and found this;

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23432078

Sadly, there arent enough studies being done on the subject. Gonna have to dig deeper, when I get time.

Do you know if she was using any other drugs during the pregnancy like pot?

That's a tough spot you're in with the visitation. It's very common, even in families where addiction is nonexistent.
Wish I knew what to tell you on that one.

I cant tell you how much respect I have for you. The world needs more dad's like you.
One of our old time members here, had a similar problem with the mother of his child. As the child got older and became "aware", she came to prefer spending time with her dad and not the mom.
syd

Postby cheeps » Sun May 29, 2016 12:34 pm

What state are you in? If you pm me with some info on where you are I might be able to pin point services. Have you explored this yet?
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby Subblind » Sun May 29, 2016 8:52 pm

Has the early intervention people made any comments on what they feel can be the issue? Also has the child been evaluated by a neurologist?that is essential in understanding what's going on.My oldest child was diagnosed with pervasive developmental disorder(mildest form of autism)when he was 18 months old.Neurologist and early intervention people were instrumental in understanding what was happening.they have tests and evaluation procedures that can make sure that your child gets all the needed help now...as far as if moms drug use caused it,gonna be hard to pinpoint that.whats more important is getting all the services you can at the youngest age possible.it can make all the difference In the world,and I know that first hand.your a good man, keep getting all the help you can from the professionals in your area. My best to you and your child
Subblind

Postby cheeps » Sun May 29, 2016 9:06 pm

Subblind wrote:Has the early intervention people made any comments on what they feel can be the issue? Also has the child been evaluated by a neurologist?that is essential in understanding what's going on.My oldest child was diagnosed with pervasive developmental disorder(mildest form of autism)when he was 18 months old.Neurologist and early intervention people were instrumental in understanding what was happening.they have tests and evaluation procedures that can make sure that your child gets all the needed help now...as far as if moms drug use caused it,gonna be hard to pinpoint that.whats more important is getting all the services you can at the youngest age possible.it can make all the difference In the world,and I know that first hand.your a good man, keep getting all the help you can from the professionals in your area. My best to you and your child

Yep, I agree, you may never know. My grandsons mother didn't do any drugs or drink while she was preggers but my grandson has some issues that will also have to be addressed.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby Subblind » Tue May 31, 2016 8:08 pm

Cheeps,get him help ASAP,and don't take no for an answer...these professionals worked wonders with my son and the outcome could've been way different if he wasn't getting early intervention services at fucking 18 months old...dude was on a little school bus before he was 2.that period in my life changed me permanently,that and my wife having breast cancer...fucking bad dreams...,I have many things to thank god for,and I'm blessed for his guidance.not really a church going man,but I have had my talks with the sky... and the sky listened...that's good enough for me
Sorry for getting all Earnest Ainsley on you,but these fucking events brought me to my knees.imagining never hearing my first born child ever speak and 7 years later literally FINDING the lump that turned out to be breast cancer in my 36 year old wife,while we had 3 babies running around here...FUCK ME...your damn right I prayed,prayed my ass off.and cried like a little girl.
Right now Wendy's sitting at her IMac playing with her eBay shit and my 14 year old sons upstairs wailing on his electric guitar,singing fucking stone temple pilots"interstate love song",he's a self taught savant musically.
How fucking blessed is that??
Subblind

Postby subspouse » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:44 am

thank you for your concern sb, luckily i have two cousins that teach and are involved with special needs kids also or i would have lost my mind when this journey started in august. first evaluation was at childrens behavioral, they were able to "prescribe" the early intervention...then we lucked into an opening in head start. started getting the peer to peer contact to continue diagnosing. of course head start wanted to push him into kindergarden, put the brakes on that, he is in a summer program with ei at the facility he will attend next year.
subspouse

Postby cheeps » Wed Jun 01, 2016 12:15 pm

I wish my fucking stepdaughter would get off her ass and do something.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby Subblind » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:20 pm

How old is the boy Cheeps??
Subblind

Postby Subblind » Wed Jun 01, 2016 5:25 pm

Your doing a good job SS,the decisions you make now will effect his whole life,I took that real fucking serious and you are too,by yourself...that's what good dads do,my hats off to you!Keep us posted with any developments.
And Happy early Father's Day to you!!!!(and Mother's Day as well)I saw a bumper sticker that said"good fathers are good men" and I found that to be very prolific...you deserve that bumper sticker!
Subblind

Return to Personal Stories