New to suboxone/weaning off right away

Please post, share, or read your personal story here

New to suboxone/weaning off right away

Postby rudd » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:53 pm

I am brand new to this and would love some advice. 6 days ago I started on suboxone after a 2 year methadone program. The highest methadone I ever took was 57mg and over 6 months I tapered down to 30mg and then did the switch. The first dose the doctor gave me was 2/8mg tablets and the next day I only took 8mg and stayed on that dose for 3 more days. Then I switched to 6mg. I am taking that dose for 6 days and will switch to 4mg. I am planning 3 or 4 days then switch to 2mg for a couple. I want to keep tapering until I am taking crumbs for a few days before I stop for good. I have never had a relaps (opiate addiction) since I started detox almost 2 years and am very determined to beat this and I will. The majority of suboxone success stories I have been reading about seem to agree that its best to get out under 28 days or trouble will follow (just like methadone). I am obviously very scared off withdrawals and hate the fact that my amazing wife and kids might see me in severe withdrawal and am going to do whatever I can to keep them minimal. I have heard that if it is done right it can be much more comfortable then what I am expecting (given the fact I am doing it quickly). I am going to ask my doctor for clonadine to help (it seems most people think it helps alot). I should mention that my addiction came from percocets I was prescribed after I developed chronic pain syndrome to my hand from an accident. I would love to hear from some of you for advice on how to minimize my withdrawls during and after my taper. I will beat this but really need some advice. If anyone can help, I would be forever in your debt.

I love my family and they need the man that I used to be.

Thank you

Rodney
rudd

Re: New to suboxone/weaning off right away

Postby tw15t3d » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:01 pm

Hi Rodney,
I picked this up from a previous post, thanks to cheeps:

one week only....what NIKE says.......
jump

That is for when you hit 2mg.

You are doing AWESOME so far! Kuddos to you!
From Orange To Green, Sub Fecking Free: 03/17/12
tw15t3d

Postby tw15t3d » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:04 pm

And I highly recommend Clonidine as well! It is has been a miracle drug for me!
tw15t3d

Postby cheeps » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:14 pm

rodney.....get down as fast as you can....you will NOT feel heavy w/d's but you very likely will feel flu like shit and some weirdness for about a month.

The thing is.....you cannot get off scott free.....but you are heading in the right direction.

Sub stacks just like the meth....so you are very wise to go as low as you can as FAST as you can.

Keep it up!!! You are doing yourself a monster favor!!!

If you are on six, go to 4mgs ASAP....stay on that for three days...then go to three for 3, listen....make 20% reductions every 3 days. and then jump. You will not have severe w/d's. Don't EXPECT to feel great but don't expect to feel horrible. Pull up the boxers and do this....... 8-)
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby rudd » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:33 am

Thank you all very much. This site seems very sensitive to individual needs and I believe this is very important for success. I should add that when my doctor gave me my first 16mg dose, he thought he was giving me 2mg tablets. He gave me 2 in his office and told me to take 2 more at home. When I got home, I looked at the dose, it was the naloxone that was 2mg and 8mg of bupe. My last week of methadone, I went in to do my witness dose and there was a new pharmacist and she walked over to me, gave me the bottle and I drank it. I thought it tasted very strong and said to her " that was 30 mg right". She looked at me with a bit of fear in her eyes. I turned the bottle around and too my surprise it was 120mg that was for someone else. 4 times what I was currently taking and more then double the amount I have ever taken. Needless to say, I was quite high and was scared of overdosing. I was fine the next day and didn't have any that day to allow my body to stablize. 2 times given the wrong dose (once sub and once meth) in 7 days. Very bad week!!! Anyway, if there is any other things I should do to help my future withdrawals I would love to hear about it. I will keep everyone posted on my success. Maybe it will help others with their struggles. Thank you all again.
rudd

Postby cheeps » Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:48 pm

rodney....we are here when you need us for questions....just post. get your mindset right, drink lots of water, get some immodium if you start to get heebie jeebies or the runs...it works well at the jump if you double or triple the dose. Vitamins, brain food, no caffiene...go low carb until the jump...try to stay that way.....very small amounts of clonidine for bp, anxiety and racing heart issues.

may the force be with you.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby subster58 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:27 pm

Rodney, welcome to subs sucks. Good for you for finding this site before the subsucker takes over and you knee deep in shit.
Good luck and keep posting, lots of good peeps to give you help and advice.
Peace
Tia
subsucker free 4-30-12
One Hour at a time
subster58

Postby rudd » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:18 pm

I have wrote 3 long letters for this post and all 3 of them deleted just as I was sending them.%$@&.Thank you for the welcome Subster. But i'm burnt out from all the wasted typing I done tonight. I will try again tomorrow. I'm switching to 4mg in the morning. If anyone has aqdvice please send it. thanks
rudd

Postby cheeps » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:32 am

Rodney, after a period of idle time the login times out. Before you hit submit....copy the bastard and if it times out...log back in and paste back into the reply screen.
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby Justjules » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:40 am

Hi Rodney,
Welcome...I hope things smooth out a bit for you...sounds like you've had a rough ride.
Stick around and let us know what's up...k?
Glad your here,
Jules
Justjules

Postby rudd » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:26 am

Well today I took 4mg and will stay on it for 3 days, then drop to 2 and then the fun will begin. I don't understand why I wake up everyday somewhat sick since I started sub from methadone. I thought it was suppose to last alot longer. I have a very high motabalism and maybe that is why. My dr said lots of people take it every other day but it seems to last less in my system. Because I was on methadone for 22 months, will that cause my system to withdrawal alot longer when I stop sub or will the methadone withdrawal be long gone from my system 3 weeks since my last methadone intake? Maybe when I stop my body will adapt faster with my high motabalism (I hope). I have an appointment tonight with my dr, I really hope he will be supportive of a rapid drop so I can be rid of this faster. He stopped giving carries for sub because some of his patients were selling their scripts on the street and he found out about it. He gives certain people up to 3 or 4 carries depending on the circumstances. I hope he will do it for me. We use to get along great but I had to get him to send my chart notes to the WCB and he got very upset at me which puzzled me because it was such a minor request (I am on a permanent partial pension because of an accident that left my hand with a permanent disability ....Hence: the pain killers I was taking). Anyway ever since my request, our doctor/patient relationship seems to be very tainted and every time I ask a question concerning my recovery, he gives very quick responses and never seems to answer the question. I don't want to argue with him so I just bite my tongue and keep telling myself, it will be over soon. Thank you again everyone and please stay in touch with me. Rodney
Last edited by rudd on Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rudd

Postby tw15t3d » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:37 am

Hey Rodney,
You seem like a very good guy who just went off the path a little bit...everybody makes mistakes...EVERYBODY..don't stop giving advice to people, it is always good to lend helping hands, addict or not.

Well I am not experienced with going from long term methadone to suboxone but it makes me think that the brain is still used to the opiate flow, and you just have to grit your teeth through it a little.

In my experience I have been most comfortable with a slow taper and when I started to feel uncomfortable I was prescribed Clonidine and taking tons of Immodium(like almost 5-10 a day)...I hope maybe you can get your hands on those two and you should feel a lot better.

Much love and encouragement to you!
tw15t3d

Postby Justjules » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:14 am

Hi Again Rodney...I'll tell you a little bout me now...I'm a 54 Yr old nurse from Calif who was introduced to painkillers though a back injury. Being a nurse in a large hospital I had the keys to the candy store(as they say) I also had several Drs. prescribing me pills and I bought them off the street. I developed a out of control addiction to IV morphine and ODed several times requiring stays in the ICU. I went on methadone in 2000. My highest dose was 140 mg. I decided a couple yrs ago I wanted off meth. I moved to the Netherlands and was on 80-60 mg meth. I got down to 10 mg over a few months but just couldn't handle the crushing headaches I got below 10 mg. I Dr here recommended sub and I was hesitant to go on it....but I just couldn't stop the meth.So I started sub at 12 mg ten months ago. I started tapering the first week on it and was at 8mg the first week. I hated how it made me feel. It didn't "feel" like meth. I wasn't as comfortable. Over the last ten months I SLOWLY tapered to .25. To tell you how slow I went,I was at .25 for two months. I tried to quit New Yrs Eve and jumped from .5 mg but had terrible anxiety...so I got back on it at .25 after 13 days clean. So 1/13 I went to .25 sub and stayed there till 3/8...eight days ago I jumped.. I'm not having any physical WD and I'm taking trazadone to sleep. I know this jump is going to be successful. I will never be chained by "maintenance" again...I'm sure of that. Ok...enough about me!

Having worked with Drs for many years I can tell you they hate extra paperwork..that's the only reason I can think of that he got pissy. People get so afraid of Drs...you pay him! He works for YOU!
Don't be afraid to ask him a question over and over until he explains it to your understanding. Drs can be dicks...but hold him accountable.Bring someone with you next visit...a buddy, your wife...put a little pressure on him to cooperate.
I sounds like your used to the feeling of meth...sub is not as comfortable. That's why Drs think it's easier to get off than meth. I have a saying..."subs no fun" You get no warm fuzzy feeling from the stuff. It's boring as hell. Its just there to keep you from getting sick.
I never felt the taper too much till I got to 2 mg...and it got hard after 1mg....but I believe it's worth tapering as low as .25 or even .124.
Ok....geez, I think that's the longest post I've ever written...ask me any questions you have. I'm happy to help you if I can.
Jules
Justjules

Postby rudd » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:46 am

Thank you so much. All of you!! Here in Canada, our health care covers the cost of all our doctors appointments (Sorry, I know alot of you pay big time each time you see the doctor). This guy kicks people out of the program at the smallest of him feeling a bit cornered. How he gets away with it is beyond me. If that were to happen to me I would hold him accountable and persue it threw appropriate channels (after my return from the hell I would be forcefully sent). There is no other doctors in our area that offer this treatment (very scary). We receive the pill form of sub and once I get to .25 and lower, it will be very hard to divide them properly. I think I might be making my jump when I reach .25mg for 2 or 3 days. Also, I might be getting on a plane and going to Alberta and going threw my ending withdrawals at a clinic (maybe). I just don't want my children to witness their daddy in that kind of state. Like Cheeps has stated, I might not have as bad of withdrawal given the fact that i am going to taper quick and have only had sub for 22 to 25 days. We shall see I guess. Thank you
Last edited by rudd on Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
rudd

Postby subster58 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:16 pm

Rodney, wishing you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do.I feel for you.
Love and Peace
Tia
subsucker free 4-30-12
One Hour at a time
subster58

Postby rudd » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:21 pm

By the way Jules. CONGRADULATIONS!!!! I can be so self obsorbed at times that I tend to forget that there are so many people in worse shape then I. What you have done is great and now you are well on your way. Great job and even though I am very new here, I know there are many great people here that will help you if your feeling a little vulnerable. Including me!!!! Great job. Keep it up!!!
rudd

Postby rudd » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:24 pm

subster58 wrote:Rodney, wishing you the best of luck in whatever you decide to do.I feel for you.
Love and Peace
Tia

Thank you Tia. I'll do it!!!
rudd

Postby rudd » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:00 pm

I just made a huge mistake. I read a topic from a guy named Ratch and it was about his 42 days after stopping. It scared the crap out of me. I never should have read it or maybe (hopefully) will in some way push me to keep on a quick taper and leap. The poor man went threw hell and back and how he did it without his wife knowing is baffling. I do realize it is somewhat different but scary to say the least.
rudd

Postby subster58 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:38 pm

Hi Rodney, I really understand where you are coming from. I too read too much at the beginning and it scared me half to death. Just know everyone is different and you haven't been on subs that long, right??. so you may have some bad days, I believe Ratch was on sub for years. Hoping your MD appt goes well and he'll give you some to take home. Just kiss his ass, then follow saras taper plan. Most MD don't like to be questioned and most are assholes.
best of luck
you can do this.
wishing you strength and courage
Love and Peace
Tia :kiss:
subsucker free 4-30-12
One Hour at a time
subster58

Postby rudd » Thu Mar 15, 2012 9:12 pm

Well my appointment went ok I guess. For some reason, they don't release suboxone carries very often here even though when I started the methadone program they gave me week long carries from day 1 (I was told that the majority of people had to wait 3 months here to get methadone carries). I did in fact talked him into giving me a 1 week carries at a time. He was very hesitant to lower my dose to 4mg and I told him that it needs to be that way and I am getting out quick and I will beat this. He felt it was to soon to be dropping my intake and said I wasn't allowing my body time to adjust. I said exactly!! Thats my plan. My supply is 7 days but I am going to drop to 2mg on sunday.Wednesday I will be at 1mg for 2 days. Then .5 for 2 and .25 for 1 or 2. Then its time for freefall. I think i'm going to throw up just thinking about it. He gave me a prescription for clonidine .01 and said to take 1 a day starting tomorrow. Should I start now or wait until I am at 2mg of sub. Thanks for the post Sub. OK everyone give me more answers. LOL.
rudd

Next

Return to Personal Stories