PRIVATE 1:1 chat (i.e. Instant Messaging) *UPDATED*

Old site died, wasn't salvageable, here's a maintained phpBB3 forum. Post about it here.

PRIVATE 1:1 chat (i.e. Instant Messaging) *UPDATED*

Postby xenofears » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:47 pm

At the request of Ratch, Instant Messaging has been added (a work in progress at least -- a beta addition to the site using beta code), but it seems functional enough for most users (browsers). It makes a ding when you get a new message and you can turn down/off the volume in the Instant Messaging user list popup if that annoys you.

Use it by clicking on the Instant Message bar in the lower-right hand corner of your screen, and selecting someone to instant message.

It's exactly like FB chat... meant to imitate it. Which is a perfect system for this purpose.

You can't initiate chatting with hidden users or see them in the IM's online list, but they can initiate chatting with you.

It could be made so that you can add "friends" and only friends can chat you, but I'm leaving that off for the moment until I am sure the thing at it's most basic isn't breaking and any bugs are ironed out. I will turn it on eventually as it's a good idea. For now, you can turn the whole thing off in the User Control Panel under Social Network, you can also prevent people from IM'ing you by logging in as hidden if you don't want to be IM'ed but want to be able to use IM. You can also click the "offline" button (it says online/offline) on top of the user list in the IM online list flyout.

Enjoy. Spending a lot of time on this request.. tried a different MOD that was horribly broken and took the site down for a couple hours until I restored a backup.

(There's a whole "Social Network" attached to the thing to add a bunch of FB-like junk to the site, but it's got bugs and is ugly with the template, needs too much work to be worth it. If you want it, request it and maybe I will work on it ("status" updates, a "mainpage" that's like the FB news feed.)

Please ignore the friend requests flying around, since I disabled the friends system it will only lead you to a broken page. Cheers.

KNOWN ISSUES (for me at least): Sometimes user list randomly pops open when switching pages, smilies don't parse (change to images) until it no longer matters (so they don't really work), random carriage returns in sent messages sometimes. Avatars are coming up broken varying based on browser.. I think avatars will be fixed in the next release, I will probably temporarily remove avatars from the Instant Messenger, because on Firefox at least "User Avatar" is superimposed over the user's name and it looks awful. Note that it's Javascript and without proper Javascript in your browser, it won't work.

MAJOR ISSUE: If the thing doesn't appear in the lower-right corner of the screen, it is broken (badly, unusuable). Two users have reported this (one got it working, at least for now, time will tell) and I experienced it on a blackberry. Working on it, but need outside help for the problem, so it will take time. Please try clearing your browser's cache and/or updating your browser and try again if you experience this problem. Tested fine with IE8, Safari (on a mac), Google Chrome, and Firefox by me.

^^ UPDATE ON MAJOR ISSUE: I spoke to the MOD's author, he was nice enough to visit the site, know the problem, but don't know a solution. It is most likely if you are connecting to the site with a slow connection. Try clearing your browser's cache [preferably using latest browser version] and reloading the page.

PS - If you get an IM from a random new user and don't want to deal with it, feel free to direct them to me, or a moderator.
Last edited by xenofears on Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:16 am, edited 6 times in total.
Sub free 3 years. Klonopin free 1 year. 100% drug free. Feeling somewhat ok. :thumbup:
xenofears

Re: PRIVATE 1:1 chat (i.e. Instant Messaging)

Postby BOAG » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:53 pm

So how do you send an IM?
"I never thought you'd be a junkie because heroin is so passé"
BOAG
Local Fixture

Postby xenofears » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:55 pm

We just did it BOAG lol.. click on the chat bar in the lower-right, then click on the user name, then type something.

I assume hidden users can chat you, but you can't start a chat with them.
Sub free 3 years. Klonopin free 1 year. 100% drug free. Feeling somewhat ok. :thumbup:
xenofears

Postby julie1129 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:57 pm

xenofears wrote: Please ignore the friend requests flying around, since I disabled the friends system it will only lead you to a broken page. Cheers.

Ahhhhh. I was wondering why I got 17 friend requests!!

So does the Instant Message thing mean I can chat with ONLY the people I wanna chat with?? And that ONLY they can see what I'm writing?

What's the different between Chat and Instant Messaging? I'm an idiot and don't know.
julie1129
Local Fixture

Postby xenofears » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:58 pm

Yes Julie.. and that is the difference between chat and instant messaging.. chat is many people (potentially), instant messaging is private 1 person to 1 person.
xenofears

Postby xenofears » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:58 pm

It's EXACTLY like Facebook..
xenofears

Postby doperdog » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:59 pm

Freaking cool!
“Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.” - George Carlin
doperdog
Global Moderator

Postby julie1129 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:02 pm

Love it! :thumbup:
julie1129
Local Fixture

Postby julie1129 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:03 pm

Hey, if I wanted to IM with, say, TWO people at the same time, could I do that???
julie1129
Local Fixture

Postby xenofears » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:07 pm

Not that I'm aware of, I don't think so..

I got to run for a bit, sure there will be bug reports (I think it's appearing on the top for some people, causes text smashing.. will look into it..) So yeah please report the bugs.
xenofears

Postby doperdog » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:08 pm

julie1129 wrote:Hey, if I wanted to IM with, say, TWO people at the same time, could I do that???

You kinky bitch! :wiggle:
“Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.” - George Carlin
doperdog
Global Moderator

Postby xenofears » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:28 pm

The chat should be in the lower-right corner of the screen. If this is not the case for you, tell me, take screenshots please, I know BOAG is having a problem with it coming out all wrong over the Subsux logo.
xenofears

Postby xenofears » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:39 am

You saw it Angie, you sent me one when I wasn't around.

Please people I need feedback on how this thing is working.

Two people reported chat on the top by the Subsux logo. This is WRONG. Please tell me if this is happening I will try to figure out why.
xenofears

Postby BOAG » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:37 am

Chat is still up in the upper left hand corner superimposed over the board. Is it supposed to be in a pop up box like FB? That would be awesome. I have a Mac, don't know if that matters.
BOAG
Local Fixture

Postby xenofears » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:14 am

What browser are you using BOAG? Safari? Angie is using Google Chrome.

It's supposed to look exactly like FB chat.. it's NOT supposed to be in the upper-left or be superimposed over the board. It should have a white background and be easy to read.
xenofears

Postby julie1129 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:24 am

Mine's been working good, xeno. It's down in the right lower corner where it should be.
julie1129
Local Fixture

Postby xenofears » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:34 am

I just tried it on my gf's computer (mac) using Safari and it's where it should be but appears broken, it goes to work and then says "Chat (undefined)" and there's no one in the list.

Quite some work to do on this thing today. Seems to work just fine in some browsers, a mess in others. Works fine in Firefox for me.
xenofears

Postby BOAG » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:39 am

Yeah, I've got Safari. When I click on chat, it shows people in there, but almost impossible to read who because there's a wide lime green background behind the names. It's just all weird, looks nothing like FB on my end. :reallysadface:
BOAG
Local Fixture

Postby gen_admin » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:46 am

I just tried it on Google Chrome and it worked beautifully, better than Firefox even.

Works best yet in IE8, only place where the avatar's work.. I'm just going to turn them off since it appears broken for the most part.

Considering the amount of IM's I am getting from random people it seems to work ok for most...
gen_admin
Site Admin

Postby julie1129 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:57 am

Yeah, I have IE8, xeno, and it's been working fine.
julie1129
Local Fixture

Next

Return to New Site!