Argh damn spambots!!

Old site died, wasn't salvageable, here's a maintained phpBB3 forum. Post about it here.

Argh damn spambots!!

Postby xenofears » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:36 am

This morning one made a ton of posts, not cool, before it was just a mild nussiance.

I need to re-instate the newly registered user permissions, to avoid post flooding and posting links. However the forum came, I effectively removed the status because it was too limiting for a mass influx board of old-time posts, first 3 posts required moderator approval, thats no good, have to find a middle-of-the-road. Limit posts of new users somehow, disable posting links for new users.

Then I need to add an are-you-human question (like "what is the sum of 2 and 2?") but better so spambots can't figure it out.. well, I need to add a pool of them. Because this externally provided (professional!) GD (3D) Image verification appears to be totally cracked.. I don't know how, some actual humans have trouble with it.

Too bad I am so busy today.
xenofears

Re: Argh damn spambots!!

Postby xenofears » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:06 am

I feel like banning all of Russia and China completely.
xenofears

Postby beachnut » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:42 am

what I think they do at odr is Once registered... must at least post One time w/in 24. If not, booted. This would at least keep some from coming. then a limit of three in 24.. in that amt you know if bot or not. Are you the only one monitoring? A lot of work for one.. know Ratch is gone and cant.. You need help or this is be work instead of hobby/fun for you. I would be more then willing to help while I am in the country.
Watch your Thoughts, they become WORDS~Watch your Words, they become ACTIONS.
Watch your Actions, they become HABITS~Watch your Habits, they become CHARACTER.
Watch your Character, for it becomes your DESTINY.
beachnut

Postby xenofears » Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:56 am

I think I am the only one doing any spam cleanup. I would be happy to have your help.. ratch??
xenofears

Postby gillabug » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:02 am

I try to help.. but I never see any.. You always beat me to it! lol
Never make anyone a priority when all you are to them is an option...

sub free 6-2011
Oxy free 12-2011
gillabug
Global Moderator

Postby xenofears » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:23 am

No one is marking it for you guys.. I just see it and jump on it, I am on a lot more than you guys too and know the forums better too.

You probably wouldn't have been able to easily deal with the spambot this morning, I had to delete all his posts via admin control panel, it would have been hard to delete them one at a time.
xenofears

Postby doperdog » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:45 am

Xeno, were the posts in English, with links to crap, or just gibberish? I have deleted quite a bit, but as you know, this site is vulnerable.
“Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.” - George Carlin
doperdog
Global Moderator

Postby xenofears » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:51 am

I don't remember, it's usually a mix of the above. The gibberish is usually Russian. Most of the spam comes from there.

Make sure you guys ban the bots/IP/email too before you delete the post. I will implement something tomorrow probably to help.
xenofears

Postby xenofears » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:54 am

There's a bunch that register and don't post anything either - there were those on the old forum too, I don't think they could figure out posting on Snitz - they just want the search engine optimization from posting their links in their user info.
xenofears

Postby doperdog » Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:59 am

Is there a way to filter spam by certain characters? Say, a common Russian letter that doesn't exist in our alphabet?
“Just cause you got the monkey off your back doesn't mean the circus has left town.” - George Carlin
doperdog
Global Moderator

Postby xenofears » Sun Feb 06, 2011 12:02 pm

I really think we should just outright ban all of Russia and China.
xenofears

Postby beachnut » Sun Feb 06, 2011 6:39 pm

Not sure we see any from either place wanting help.. Not since I have been here.
Watch your Actions, they become HABITS~Watch your Habits, they become CHARACTER.
beachnut

Postby xenofears » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:07 am

After more continuous fresh spam, I have changed the captcha to something extremely professional. Let's see if it works, cross your fingers folks.
xenofears

Postby cheeps » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:46 pm

I sure as hell hope so.....I'm tired of seeing invaders. Do what you have to do Pete. :banana:
10 yrs on methadone
Meth free 10/08
Back surgery 5/12/14
Knee surgery 9/19/14
Oxy free 12/06/14
2017 taper in progress
cheeps
Advanced Member

Postby xenofears » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:43 pm

Thank you keyCAPTCHA!!! Google's reCAPTCHA (anti-spambot tech) is totally cracked!!
Sub free 3 years. Klonopin free 1 year. 100% drug free. Feeling somewhat ok. :thumbup:
xenofears

Postby doperdog » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:59 pm

Cool. THer's been spam bleeding into the other forums lately, not just "Fun Stuff". Don't bots have lives?
doperdog
Global Moderator

Postby xenofears » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:17 pm

The spambot problem seems to be solved. None for days with the latest method.
Sub free 3 years. Klonopin free 1 year. 100% drug free. Feeling somewhat ok. :thumbup:
xenofears

Postby beachnut » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:50 am

Great JOB Xeno...

again, thanks for all your work and dedication to the site.
beachnut

Return to New Site!